Just Engaged and Proposals

Sound off: First Look

2»

Re: Sound off: First Look

• falsarafalsara member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its First Answer
    Me and FI really don't know yet weather or not we're going to do a first look. Originally i thought NO!. I never wear dresses or get dressed up or wear makeup so for me to be dressed to the nines is a huge deal and i really want that moment when i see his face as i walk down the aisle. I know a lot of the reasons posted here are for nerves. To deal with this problem it has always been my plan for me and FI to have a few moments with a door between us so that we can talk and really have some time together before we see each other at the ceremony. I'm still on the fence. The idea of a First Look sounds great, but its just such a huge moment, since he's never going to ever see me in such glitz again. Plus we dont have that many guests and they are basically family, so the ceremony will still be intimate if we choose to do it the old fashioned way.

Wedding Countdown Ticker

• apcorthellapcorthell member
    First Comment
    edited May 2014
    I have been thinking about this topic a lot lately. As a wedding photographer myself I see the convenience and practicality of doing a first look but the girl in me wants that big moment when I walk down the isle and he sees me for the first time. As far as I'm concerned "cocktail hour" can be "cocktail hour-and-twenty-minutes" if necessary. Besides, night shots are a great opportunity for some more intimate, bride and groom images.
  • edited May 2014
    We are talking about a first look, the Fiance is on the fence, and so is the family because there will be a "Break in tradition" but what they don't know is the fact that I plan to sing at the ceremony so there will still be that "Moment" since he knows how unbelievably shy I am, specially about singing in public. But I think seeing him before hand will help me stay calm and centered for the big moment, also since the wedding is in a field he will probably see me anyways.
  • cwradford said:
    Me and FI really don't know yet weather or not we're going to do a first look. Originally i thought NO!. I never wear dresses or get dressed up or wear makeup so for me to be dressed to the nines is a huge deal and i really want that moment when i see his face as i walk down the aisle. I know a lot of the reasons posted here are for nerves. To deal with this problem it has always been my plan for me and FI to have a few moments with a door between us so that we can talk and really have some time together before we see each other at the ceremony. I'm still on the fence. The idea of a First Look sounds great, but its just such a huge moment, since he's never going to ever see me in such glitz again. Plus we dont have that many guests and they are basically family, so the ceremony will still be intimate if we choose to do it the old fashioned way.
    We're having a first look, but that's because it fits us and what we really want.  I don't think it should have anything to do with what anyone else tells you it should be.  Based on what you've mentioned about planning to talk to each other through a closed door (which sounds really cool btw), I think a first look would take away from that special moment you've already put thought into.  It's your wedding and your choice.  Whatever you choose (as long as it's really what you want to do) is going to be special because it's YOUR DAY!! YAY!!  Congrats btw!  :-)
  • Our photographer made some good points about having a first look session. The couples session can take up to one hour,. Then you have to do the full bridal party and families. That can take up to 2 hours away from your reception time. We only plan on being at our reception for 4 hours. I would prefer to enjoy that time.
  • We are doing a first look. My fiance LOVES the idea, and we think it will be fun to have that moment to ourselves:) It's a chance for us to savor the moment without a bunch of people staring at us. I was totally against it when I first heard of it, but then i read an article about it on Pintrest and it completely changed my mind. Looking forward it! :)
  • Actually the photography industry didn't 'make it up'. The groom seeing his bride before the ceremony is a Jewish tradition stemming from the Old Testament story where Jacob married Leah rather than Rebecca because her father pulled her out at the last minute and Jacob married the wrong woman because her veil obscured her face. Jewish tradition is that the couple not see each other until the 'first look' just before the ceremony,where the groom checks he has the right bride and then pins her veil on her head as a symbol of commitment and willingness to provide for her. We live in a multi-cultural world, so best not to knock something off as an 'industry tactic' without fully understanding the tradition :)
  • We still have plenty of time to change our minds, but as of right now we are NOT having a first look. I think if anything we will have a first "un-look" (holding hands on opposite sides of a door but not actually seeing each other). We want to be as traditional as possible unlike everything else we've done lol. We won't have slept together the night before or seen each other in a couple days I think. Just to make that moment at opposite ends of the isle great.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards