Attire & Accessories Forum

Best bra source/brand?

OK ladies. I need help. I need to find a GOOD strapless bra without a lot of excess padding. Underwire is fine, as that's what we had when seamstress was sizing. Tried the only place within about 100 miles that ever has much of anything that works for me (Victoria's Secret), and they had exactly one bra in my size (I got measured to confirm) that didn't pinch funny, and it was the wrong color (too dark--didn't want to wear under wedding gown).

Got any brands/shops to recommend?

Re: Best bra source/brand?

• majesty318majesty318 member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary First Answer First Comment
    edited May 2014
    Go get fitted at Nordstrom or Soma and ask for the consultant's advice on a brand that is good for your figure.
  • If that was the bra you liked, you could get the style number and order online in the color you wanted.

• herroom.com has a lot of bras.  I use them a lot since I am an odd size.
    Most department stores have a great selection, but also check your bridal shop they might be able to point you in a good direction!
    August 9, 2015
  • emmaaa said:

If that was the bra you liked, you could get the style number and order online in the color you wanted.

It was ok, not great. I didn't particularly like it, they just had no other options. I'm not all that large but I have a smallish band size and it's relatively rare to find anything bigger than a C or maaaaybe D cup in local department stores.

I am relatively rural. There is no Nordstrom or Soma store anywhere in the state. (Although I hadnt heard of Soma before, so at least maybe their website is a possibility.)
  • Maybe I should rephrase--does anybody that you know of make a good strapless bra? Because I am just not finding it. If you had a good idea of your size and were going to try online, where would you go?
  • I have the Wacoal Red Carpet Convertible bra. I also have a small band size so maybe it would work for you? I bought it at Nordstrom but they sell it a lot of places.

• labrolabro member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its

I do like my Soma strapless bras. I have one lined and one unliined one and they both work well depending on the dress. I wore the unlined one with my bridesmaids dress and it provided me with the support I felt I needed. I just checked their website and I don't see the unlined one anymore. But here is a link to the lined one I own and love. No extra padding, it's just lined like a regular t-shirt style bra would be.

http://www.soma.com/store/browse/product.jsp?maxRec=5&pageId=1&viewAll=&productId=570068467&prd=Embraceable+Multi+Way+Bra&subCatId=cat2770019&color=&fromSearch=&inSeam=&posId=2&catId=cat40089&cat=Bras+StraplessMulti+Way&onSale=&colorFamily=&maxPg=1&size=

• I would try to get remeasured before you order anything... VS does NOT measure right. They try and fit everyone into their sizes which are often the wrong ones. I'd bet money they had you in too large of a band and too small of a cup (especially for strapless where you rely completely on the band for support). This is a great reference:

• I second the wacoal suggestion. I also have a small band size (one that I have yet to find in a brick and mortar store near me), and wacoal is my favorite brand. I order mine on barenecessities.com.
  • VS measures wrong - the band goes under your breasts, not over. However, Soma runs on the exact same sizes so if you like the fit, give them a try. Usually in typical VS sizing, you'll bump up a cup and down a band size to get band support - so a 36C would go to a 34D. In appropriate sizing, I can wear a 32 band as always.
  • VS measures wrong - the band goes under your breasts, not over. However, Soma runs on the exact same sizes so if you like the fit, give them a try. Usually in typical VS sizing, you'll bump up a cup and down a band size to get band support - so a 36C would go to a 34D. In appropriate sizing, I can wear a 32 band as always.
    Yup VS had me in a 36B. Nope, 34C, thanks. Your bra shouldn't actually ride up when you lift your arms; go figure!

• I may be the odd one out, but VS is one of the only places I can find my size. I'm a 38C and have a good strapless bra from there that stays put regardless of movement. I'm not crazy about department store bras, and the lingerie store I used to shop at rarely carries my current size (used to wear 34/36C before DS).
  • kitty8403kitty8403 member
    First Comment 5 Love Its First Answer Name Dropper
    edited May 2014

VS measures wrong - the band goes under your breasts, not over. However, Soma runs on the exact same sizes so if you like the fit, give them a try. Usually in typical VS sizing, you'll bump up a cup and down a band size to get band support - so a 36C would go to a 34D. In appropriate sizing, I can wear a 32 band as always.

Yup VS had me in a 36B. Nope, 34C, thanks. Your bra shouldn't actually ride up when you lift your arms; go figure!

---SIDB!
    To their credit, VS did at least get me into a 34 years ago (I'd been wearing too large band/ too small cup). This time around they tried telling me I needed a D cup--no. I've been a DD forever, and their DD felt like I might need to try a DDD!
  • edited May 2014
    I got mine at Nordstom. It wasn't cheap but I've worn it several times since. I'm a 38G and my strapless stayed up the whole day, not a since tug at it, even with dancing & sweating while dancing. Mine was the Fantasie line. Simple design & removable straps. Love it and it has opened up options in the summer now for clothing options. Almost forgot, it's a traditional strapless, not one of those full ones that goes to your waist either.
  • How weird! My VS does a wonderful job.
  • I love Nordstrom for bras. All of my best-fitting bras come from there. Herroom.com is also great for a broad range of options.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards