Wedding Etiquette Forum

Free Advice

2»

Re: Free Advice

• sarawifenowsarawifenow member
    First Comment First Anniversary First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited May 2014

Dear Lia,

I am really worried that my guests will wear white and that no one will know I am the bride! What should I do to prevent this?!

ETF: guests not quests. Wtf...

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

• catlady14 said:
    Dear Lia,

I keep posting about my awesome wedding planning, shopping, and dreaming on facebook every day. The problem is that my FB are asking when they can expect their invite and saying how excited they are for my wedding. How do I let them know that this is my *special day* and they are definitely NOT invited because I want to keep my wedding private?
    Great question! Social media is a new frontier for etiquette and navigating it can be tricky,  but luckily it solves as many problems as it creates! Kindly explain to these people that they are live-feed only invited to your wedding. From the comfort of their own homes they can watch the live feed of your ceremony and stream the music from your reception. You know all your IRL guest will be instagraming their food before they eat it, so encourage them to use the hashtag #catladysweddingnoms so the virtual guests can enjoy it too. The thing about weddings is that everyone wants to feel involved, and there is no way to better include everyone than to let them know exactly what they are missing out on!
  • afox007afox007 member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its First Answer
    One of my BM is having a baby 6 months before my wedding. Don't worry I already made sure to put her on a diet so she doesn't gain too much while preggo and am making her hire a personal trainer after she delivers so she WILL lose all the weight.

I love babies and while there are plenty of guests invited with babies I don't want HER baby there. How can she spend all day focused on me if she has to deal with him? Also this wll be the first time a lot of friends/family meet the new baby and that's not fair. It's MY day I don't want to share attention with someone with poop in his pants!

How do I tell her she is the only person not allowed to bring their kid?
  • Dear Lia,

I am really worried that my guests will wear white and that no one will know I am the bride! What should I do to prevent this?!

ETF: guests not quests. Wtf...

Sara, every bride wants to stand out on her wedding day, your feelings are totally normal. Most people know not to wear white to a wedding, so this shouldn't be a huge concern. However, you can always slip a $20 to a waiter to ensure that the tray of red wines he is carrying falls on the offending guest.
  • afox007 said:
    One of my BM is having a baby 6 months before my wedding. Don't worry I already made sure to put her on a diet so she doesn't gain too much while preggo and am making her hire a personal trainer after she delivers so she WILL lose all the weight.

I love babies and while there are plenty of guests invited with babies I don't want HER baby there. How can she spend all day focused on me if she has to deal with him? Also this wll be the first time a lot of friends/family meet the new baby and that's not fair. It's MY day I don't want to share attention with someone with poop in his pants!

How do I tell her she is the only person not allowed to bring their kid?
    I am surprised you are even asking this! It is as if you haven't read any of my other advice! Kick that bitch out! Sure she says she wants to be a BM and will lose the baby weight, but we all know what a crock that is. People make promises they can't keep, especially pregnant women. Actions speak louder than words and her actions say you are not her first priority. With friends like that...... Honestly, you are better off without her. Even if she doesn't bring her baby everyone will be cooing over the pictures instead of paying attention to you. Being upstaged by a baby who isn't even there? How humiliating!
  • Dear Lia,

I want to require all of my guests to dress as furries so we can all get it on at the reception. Is this an acceptable request?

Sincerely,

Furry Friend
    Only if you put the request on chalkboard signs and have them delivered by whimsical children in burlap and lace dresses.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
    eyeroll
  • Dear Lia,

I want to require all of my guests to dress as furries so we can all get it on at the reception. Is this an acceptable request?

Sincerely,

Furry Friend
    Of course it is, so long as you remember to send me an invitation. Address it to Ms. Scooby D. Doo. ;)
  • Inkdancer, sorry I almost missed you!

Getting married is hard work. Anyone who begrudges you 150 serving of mac and cheese is a vile excuse for a person. You eat all the mac and cheese you want. You're married now; diets end after the wedding!
  • Ladies, this has been swell, but I must go. Maybe one day you'll invite me to make another guest appearance. As for all the women I helped, y'all can thank me later.
  • Dear Lia,

I want to get pregnant before my SIL's wedding so that I can announce to the family at the wedding that we're expecting, since everyone will be together and it will be a special moment for DH and me. When is the most appropriate time to announce this - during toasts, onstage while everyone's dancing, or maybe during the ceremony when I'm doing a reading?

Thanks!
  • I MISSED IT. DRAT. I guess I'll just announce it all three ways.
  • Dear Lia:

I really want my boyfriend to propose to me at my sister's wedding, right after they're introduced.  How should I push him into doing this and what exactly should he do to make sure that it's as special as possible?

Luv,

SomeJerk

• Dear Lia,

How do I tell FMIL to make sure her colostomy bag doesn't fall out during the ceremony and reception. That thing is ugly as fuck.

Love,

Me.

Wedding Countdown Ticker

image 59 Invited
    image 36 Yes
    image 2 No
    image 21 Unknown
  • arrippaarrippa member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its

Dear Lia:

My theme is upscale rustic chic with crystal chandaliers and burlap with lace. So it will be a classy but casual affair that is black tie optional. My bridesmaid has a tattoo on her arm and it will ruin my pictures. How do I make her cover it up without offending her? Also, I don't want her boy-friend to come to the wedding. How can I make her understand that on my wedding day she will be focused on me. No distractions.

• Jen4948Jen4948 member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    Dear Lia,

I really, really want to serve drinks because all my guests demand it and if they find out that none is available for free they will run out of the reception and drop me as a friend and relative immediately.  Thing is, I can't afford to serve alcohol for free.  Can I charge my guests?  As long as alcohol is there for sale, nobody minds it.

Also, I've made donations to a charity that is really meaningful to me in the names of all my guests in lieu of favors. The charity in question supports certain political causes that I want everyone to support and raise their awareness of.  This means that I can't afford to pay for my honeymoon unless my guests contribute to my honeyfund (we don't want boxed gifts). 

How do I word my invitations to indicate all of the above and max out contributions for my honeymoon so I don't feel the cut that the honeyfund takes?  This is my day, after all, and I'm entitled to what I want.
  • edited May 2014
    Damn it - I missed it :(
    :kiss: ~xoxo~ :kiss:

• This was fucking awesome.
    What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
  • im still laughing at the jashley reference
  • im still laughing at the jashley reference

There is always room for jashley.
  • lc07lc07 member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    I'm way late. This thread was rad. Dear Lia needs to be a regular column! 
  • @snippet17‌ Glad you and all your buddies are all back from the dark side.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards