Chit Chat

Updo or half updo?

How did/are you ladies doing your hair for your wedding??
I originally thought I wanted half updo because I hate not having my hair down for photos... butttt I hate how thick my hair is and almost always have it up in a bun or a pony tail unless I'm going out. But my issue is, I will most likely toss my hair into a pony tail after the photos are done anyways so I can dance and have fun without getting hot (lovvve thick hair- not!) So now I'm in the great debate...
Daisypath Wedding tickers

Re: Updo or half updo?

• KGold80KGold80 member
    First Comment 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    I had a hair trial with a half updo and there is NO WAY it will stay pretty as long as I need it to, so I'm having a second hair trial next week for an updo. Why don't you try an updo with wispy pieces around your face so you get some of the same face framing effect you'd have if you wore it down? AND you wouldn't be so hot. Plus, with the amount of product they'll likely put into your hair for the half updo, good luck getting it into the ponytail.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

• Wore mine up. I have very fine hair. I didn't want it getting sad and flat.  Plus, I got super hot at my wedding. It was much nicer to have it off of my neck.
  • KGold80 said:
    I had a hair trial with a half updo and there is NO WAY it will stay pretty as long as I need it to, so I'm having a second hair trial next week for an updo. Why don't you try an updo with wispy pieces around your face so you get some of the same face framing effect you'd have if you wore it down? AND you wouldn't be so hot. Plus, with the amount of product they'll likely put into your hair for the half updo, good luck getting it into the ponytail.
    Yeah that's my issue is regardless my hair poofs like no other when I'm hot and poofy frizzy hair does not look good at all. I don't have any wispy pieces in my hair currently as it's all long layered, that being said, I'm getting my hair highlighted and trimmed before my trial. I just can't wait to chop my hair off after my brother's july wedding. For his, I'll have an updo but for mine I always wanted it down which is why I've been growing it out... but updo's do have their pros!
  • If I do half updo though I want something like this: image
  • Updo I was thinking this image
  • I'm wearing my hair down so I'm no help :-P 
  • KGold80KGold80 member
    @melbelleup - are you doing a trial?
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

• I'm wearing my hair down so I'm no help :-P 
    well thanks! :P
  • KGold80 said:
    @KGold80 Yes I am, but it will be the Wednesday before my Saturday wedding due to me living 4 states away from the actual wedding
  • Faux hawk possibly.
  • KGold80KGold80 member

KGold80 said:
    @KGold80 Yes I am, but it will be the Wednesday before my Saturday wedding due to me living 4 states away from the actual wedding
    Then I'd personally err on the side of caution with the updo.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

• I had a half up/half down style for my wedding too. People warned me against it, but those are really the styles I prefer and look best on me. I'm so glad I went with my gut. I loved it. It held beautifully with a lot of hair spray and honestly after the pictures I was ready to party. I wasn't overly concerned what my hair looked like at that point...especially after a few martinis. :)
  • MagicInk said:
    Faux hawk possibly.
    really? That's awesome. I love how faux hawks look!
  • MagicInk said:
    Faux hawk possibly.
    really? That's awesome. I love how faux hawks look!
    Yeah I keep my hair pretty short so sometimes I can get it up into a faux hawk, it's grown out a little now, but with enough product I could do it. I figure it'll be cut before the wedding.
  • ElcaBElcaB member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    I am in the updo camp. My hair is long and thick and I prefer it not blow around during our (hopefully) outdoor ceremony or end up dripping wet due to sweat (caused by both anxiety and hours on the dance floor). 
  • ElcaB said:
    I am in the updo camp. My hair is long and thick and I prefer it not blow around during our (hopefully) outdoor ceremony or end up dripping wet due to sweat (caused by both anxiety and hours on the dance floor). 
    That's my major issue too... sweating. ughhhh
  • Sugargirl1019Sugargirl1019 member
    Combo Breaker First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its
    edited May 2014
    I'll share again! Cuz I'm a big AW about this.

This is mine. Did bridal pictures outside, was not hot against my skin at all, kept me cool. Hairspray kept everything in place, but we had light breezes.

I love the look from the front - the vintage classy look I wanted :)

We curled my hair all over and teased it in tiny sections, then she did the braid with the curls.

image   image   image

• Updo I was thinking this image
    I like this look. Very pretty, but not crazy complicted.
  • lc07lc07 member
    I did half up half down because I felt pretty that way. I don't like how I look with all of my hair up. I will say, that at one point during the reception I went to the bathroom with one of my BMs (I could pee by myself FTR, we just happened to go together) and I remember telling her I really wanted to put my hair in a ponytail. Because that's me on an everyday basis and I wanted it off my neck. That wasn't possible the way my hair was styled and I know I looked nice the way it was the whole night. But I get what you're saying about how you think you'll want it up later. 

In the end, I'm happy with my decision. I guess I'm kind of vain.
  • ShallowSeasShallowSeas member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    edited May 2014
    I haven't had my hair trial yet but this is what I'm thinking about doing...

Anniversary

• I went with an updo. My hair is super think and I didn't want it getting all sweaty and gross on the dance floor if it was on my neck.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • What do you think goes better with your dress? My dress has bling on the shoulder straps and a dramatic V back so I don't want to cover that with any hair. I'm doing a low updo kinda like your picture.

• melbelleupmelbelleup member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment First Answer
    edited May 2014
    jenna8984 said:
    What do you think goes better with your dress? My dress has bling on the shoulder straps and a dramatic V back so I don't want to cover that with any hair. I'm doing a low updo kinda like your picture.
    my dress is strapless, but I could see what you mean about my hair covering up some.. but at the same time I liked the idea of my hair down to cover up my stretch marks lol

ETA: this is the site's photo

also to add: I have a long veil (finger tip veil)
  • I'll share again! Cuz I'm a big AW about this. This is mine. Did bridal pictures outside, was not hot against my skin at all, kept me cool. Hairspray kept everything in place, but we had light breezes. I love the look from the front - the vintage classy look I wanted :) We curled my hair all over and teased it in tiny sections, then she did the braid with the curls.
    @Sugargirl1019 I love the way your hair looks!
  • In a pixie cut.
  • My hair is going to be in an up do, with the heat I didn't want it to be on my neck and sweating.  I was also worried about any half updo drooping or holding up well throughout the day.

Anniversary

• emmyg65emmyg65 member
    Updo because my hair is fine and I hate when it gets in my face. I got married outside in August and just didn't want to deal. Also, it's stick straight and I didn't want to curl it for the wedding, which it seems like all half up/down dos are.

• I'm wearing mine in a really simple half-up for the ceremony, tossing it all into a bun for the cultural part, and it'll likely be in a ponytail the rest of the night. My hair is super fine so it doesn't do well being down for very long (I get GIANT tangles at the base of my neck). It's also down to the middle of my back, and likes to obnoxiously get in my way all the time.
    ~*~*~*~*~

• FiancBFiancB member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    I'll do half. FI wanted me to wear it down, but I am getting married outside and I don't want it getting in my face, plus I need something to attach my hair clip and veil to. My hair isn't quite long enough for an elaborate updo I don't think. 
  • phiraphira member
    I'm planning on an updo, but like ... a very simple, secure low bun. My stylist knows me very well, so we're aiming for something that requires as little hairspray and bobby pins as possible to stay secure the whole night.
    Anniversary
    now with ~* INCREASED SASSINESS *~
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards