Chit Chat
Options

Registering RAGE

Re: Registering RAGE

• Options
    lyndausvi said:
    DH refuses to have any colored or patterned dinnerware.  This was non-negotiable to him.  Which actually works well because it's easy to buy the pieces we want when we want.

Doesn't help you since you do not want plain white.
    I realize I'm entirely too picky to be pissed when I can't find exactly what I want. :-p

Well, we did find exactly what we wanted at Target... and now it's "out of stock online and not sold in stores" despite being available in-store AND online when we originally picked it. Rawr.

**** SIB

That is messed up.  Is it discontinued?

Since he is the chef and his philosophy is that food should be the highlight of the plate, not competing with the color/pattern.  I didn't bother to discuss it.  Fact is I really didn't care and it was clear he really does.    Bonus has been we have been able to buy square and other shaped plates throughout the years knowing it matches what we already have.

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • Options
    lyndausvi said:
    DH refuses to have any colored or patterned dinnerware.  This was non-negotiable to him.  Which actually works well because it's easy to buy the pieces we want when we want.

I realize I'm entirely too picky to be pissed when I can't find exactly what I want. :-p

Well, we did find exactly what we wanted at Target... and now it's "out of stock online and not sold in stores" despite being available in-store AND online when we originally picked it. Rawr.
    lolo883 just so you know, Target also lies. Some things that are "not available in stores" I found in the store near me, way confusing. 

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    lyndausvi said:
    lyndausvi said:

**** SIB

That is messed up.  Is it discontinued?

Since he is the chef and his philosophy is that food should be the highlight of the plate, not competing with the color/pattern.  I didn't bother to discuss it.  Fact is I really didn't care and it was clear he really does.    Bonus has been we have been able to buy square and other shaped plates throughout the years knowing it matches what we already have.
    It doesn't say if it'll ever be back in stock or not. :(

I get his point, and I don't want anything crazy to compete with the food... not completely dark/bright colored or patterned, but still not white. Just a happy medium. I want something that's pretty even if all that's on it is mac and cheese or a turkey sandwich. I WOULD love the big soup plates/pasta bowls/whatever you want to call them to serve risotto in, and the Gordon Ramsay set has those if I can get them shipped without breaking...

I've put entirely too much thought into this already, clearly.

• Options
    lyndausvi said:

lolo883 just so you know, Target also lies. Some things that are "not available in stores" I found in the store near me, way confusing. 
    SONOFABEECH!

• Options
    lyndausvi said:

SONOFABEECH!
    Exactly how I felt!

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    FMIL gave us a set of dishes that came with 15 TEA CUPS AND SAUCERS. Good god.
  • Options
    I'm thinking of registering for these on etsy.
  • Options
    I bought my china set ages ago, so we didn't register for any (or anything else). I got service for 8 with the pieces we wanted (dinner plate, salad plate, bread plate, soup bowl) and some of the fancy coffee cups and saucers (we already have dozens of regular sized mugs) from a Lenox warehouse during a ridiculous sale. I think it ended up costing me about $300. They aren't First Quality, but the defects are almost undetectable (slightly uneven glazing on the bottom of a plate, a bubble in the glaze on the bottom of one of the saucers, and other stuff that's only noticeable if you're LOOKING for them).
    ~*~*~*~*~

• Options
    Planning on having the queen over anytime soon?

• Options
    @Lolo, show us the set.  I'm a wizard when it comes to shopping!
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  • Options
    You never know what life might bring to you.  I had my book club over a while back, and I served tea in my Wedgwood china cups.  The ladies loved it!
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  • Options
    @CMGragain we didn't want the whole set together, plus it's a brand that's only sold at Target. 

Salad plates and cereal bowls were Threshold Vermillion:
    ...but FI didn't like the plates that came with those, or having pattern everywhere, so we compromised with Threshold Cambridge:
    I had teal and yellow coffee mugs picked out to coordinate. Waahhhh.
    (And I know the pattern is kind of wild and not exactly timeless, but we figured that's what the fine china is for.)

• Options
    CMGragain said:
    You never know what life might bring to you.  I had my book club over a while back, and I served tea in my Wedgwood china cups.  The ladies loved it!
    SPEAKING OF BOOK CLUBS, who started reading Goldfinch?! I did!!

• Options
    CMGragain said:
    SPEAKING OF BOOK CLUBS, who started reading Goldfinch?! I did!!
    They are really cute cups.

AND ME TOO.
  • Options
    I always make sure to buy sets with the saucers. My cats like to eat off them.
  • Options
    CMGragainCMGragain member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited May 2014
    Check out http://replacementsltd.com/  .  You can register on their site, and they will send you e-mails about their stock.
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  • Options
    debmonn said:
    we registered for (and got) corelle. It is replacing the set i have now. FI is notoriously clumsy. He managed to break a plastic bowl, so he is not to be trusted with ceramic or other fine china. Corelle for us for life!
    My little sister and your FI should be friends. My little sister broke two bowls in a row. We were having ice cream.  She got some and promptly dropped the bowl on the way to her seat.  So they cleaned it up, she went and got another bowl, served herself some more ice cream and then dropped that one too!  At that point, she had a stern talking to from our dad about being careful.
  • Options
    jdluvr06 said:
    I always make sure to buy sets with the saucers. My cats like to eat off them.
    Hey, mine too!

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    Haha...can all y'all send your teacups to me? I have been collecting them for the wedding and have over sixty now. We use then every day for coffee (espresso really) and tea but I see how some folks wouldn't find them useful.

Here are the dishes I picked out --- I love Corelle!
  • Options
    I was having this same thought the other day. We are looking to buy our fancypants china as well as a new everyday set. Many that I like that come in a set have those stupid cups. So I have to buy individual pieces or just get them and never use those cups. 

Even for the ones that are not tiny, I don't like them. I don't want my mugs to match my dinnerware. I like mugs to be ones that I have collected from places traveled, that were gifts to me, etc. It's the one favor I probably wouldn't mind getting with someone's name or wedding date on. 
    What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
  • Options
    Feeling lucky! I started to replace old crap a few years ago when I thought I'd never get married. I met FI just after. Now that I have 8 place settings of nice stuff from C&B, we're just registering for additional settings and pieces. It's not his favorite (he loves girlie and I like very simple white), but he hates the idea of getting rid of nice new dishes.

My set (Essentials at C&B) sells mugs separately so I just skipped them and have registered for a set that compliments nicely.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options
    edited May 2014
    AddieCake said:

I was having this same thought the other day. We are looking to buy our fancypants china as well as a new everyday set. Many that I like that come in a set have those stupid cups. So I have to buy individual pieces or just get them and never use those cups. 

Even for the ones that are not tiny, I don't like them. I don't want my mugs to match my dinnerware. I like mugs to be ones that I have collected from places traveled, that were gifts to me, etc. It's the one favor I probably wouldn't mind getting with someone's name or wedding date on. 
    Same here! I drank my coffee this morning out of a Leo zodiac sign mug with Yosemite Sam on it that my dad brought back from a business trip to Florida when I was 10. "Leos have fiery tempers and are often unpredictable. With an undying belief in their right to rule triumphant, Leos often draw explosive reactions. So watch out, varmint!" Best mug ever. It's not losing space in the cabinet to some fancypants cup and saucer.

• Options
    Aray82Aray82 member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    But what if you and FI want to move in to the set of Downton Abbey someday? Then you'd want those saucers for sure!
  • Options
    FiancBFiancB member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited May 2014
    I have such a hate for mugs that are less than 14 oz. Seriously, who wants that? I do have a smaller set and I use them more for ice cream than coffee. I guess they're okay for tea. I GUESS. 

A good set of dishes can be super frustrating. My mom loves corelle but even then we always had a couple sets, because the cups from set A would be better than set B's but we liked the bowls from set B better than the ones from set A. Sigh. How hard is it to make a complete set of shit people like?
  • Options

Same here! I drank my coffee this morning out of a Leo zodiac sign mug with Yosemite Sam on it that my dad brought back from a business trip to Florida when I was 10. "Leos have fiery tempers and are often unpredictable. With an undying belief in their right to rule triumphant, Leos often draw explosive reactions. So watch out, varmint!" Best mug ever. It's not losing space in the cabinet to some fancypants cup and saucer.
    I'm a Leo too! The best sign! That sounds like a cool mug.

I have a simple timeless Lenox pattern that the 5 piece set came with the little mugs and saucers, but they also had a 3 set piece that was the dinner plate, salad plate and bowl. I registered for both. People started buying the 5 set piece, so I ended up deleting the 3 piece set, and added the bowls separately (the 5 piece didn't come with bowls). 

My grandma always served coffee in her tiny cups that matched the dinner plates. I guess that's what they are for, but I understand why you think they're useless.

• Options
    CMGragainCMGragain member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited June 2014
    The small coffee cups are for after dinner coffee - a demi tasse.  Very tiny cups and silver spoons are sold for this, though these days, few people buy them.  They are not intended for giving someone their caffeine jolt for the day.  I have two sizes of cups for my Wedgwood fine china set.  The smaller ones are used for dinner service.  The larger mugs are for morning coffee.
    My favorite coffee mugs were $1 each on a Walmart clearance shelf 20 years ago.  They are huge, and I wish I had bought more than four, but we don't use them for company.  Of course, when I was teaching, I carried one of those enormous insulated car-mugs with me!

My patterns:  Wedgwood, Wild Strawberries, casual Vilroy & Bosch, Geranium.  I use that ugly old Corelle every day.  I have a set of vintage Fostoria Century in a box for my son, if he ever gets married, and if his bride would want it.  It belonged to his great-grandmother.
    Stupid registry mistake:  I have a set of 8 French St. Louis cut crystal water goblets.  They are now priced at more than $200 each, and I'm afraid to use them!  I should have chosen something cheap that I wouldn't worry about, like those nice plain wineglasses from BB&B.
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  • Options
    There's no such thing as a demi tasse in my or FI's family, or even "a caffeine jolt for the day." They consume more coffee than oxygen. I hosted a family dinner once during which my mom and her 2 sisters put away NINE pots of coffee. It was July, and over 80 degrees out. Doesn't matter what time of year or time of day, their beverage of choice is black coffee. FI and his mom are the same way. They would laugh at cups that small. Even my grandma didn't use them. She had a full set of 12 (or so) oz mugs with white cats painted on them that she used for every occasion. :)

• Options
    There's no such thing as a demi tasse in my or FI's family, or even "a caffeine jolt for the day." They consume more coffee than oxygen. I hosted a family dinner once during which my mom and her 2 sisters put away NINE pots of coffee. It was July, and over 80 degrees out. Doesn't matter what time of year or time of day, their beverage of choice is black coffee. FI and his mom are the same way. They would laugh at cups that small. Even my grandma didn't use them. She had a full set of 12 (or so) oz mugs with white cats painted on them that she used for every occasion. :)
    This is probably invasive, but I'm wondering now if they pee straight black coffee.
    --

I'm the fuck
    out.

• Options
    beethery said:

This is probably invasive, but I'm wondering now if they pee straight black coffee.

I'm quite certain they must.

• Options
    kla728kla728 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment Name Dropper
    Dear makers of dinnerware;

The jig is up. Nobody wants or uses your sorry excuses for "coffee cups." Those things are about half as big as they should be. And saucers? If I had a handmaiden to serve me my tea I might need those. But for slurping down a mug of joe out of the Keurig, not totally necessary. So I beg of you... STOP making all your damn place settings come with cups and saucers! I don't want them! I just want plates and bowls! This is not rocket science!

Also, Target, "out of stock online and not sold in stores" should not be a thing. Make it say "gone. sorry, yo" so I can just accept the fact that the dinnerware I DID want, that DID come in sets of 4 dinner plates OR 4 salad plates OR 4 cereal bowls, rather than a fucking 548546 piece place setting, is in fact unattainable.

Sincerely, 
    Lolo
    Heck yes to the bold.  Currently experiencing a lot of this with Kohls.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards