Chit Chat

Wedding Timing

pinkshorts27pinkshorts27 member
First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its First Answer
edited May 2014 in Chit Chat
So I'm a little behind on stuff because of school and I am just getting back into planning. I was curious what time you ladies would think for my wedding.

My wedding is in OR on Dec 27. We are doing a first look (as of right now, but we have to determine based on timing and light) and taking all but family photos before the wedding.  Ceremony and reception place are both a golf course (indoor, they have a gorgeous ballroom). 

-Wedding party gets ready
-Bridal party pictures, groom's party pictures, first look photos, family photos with immediate family.  during first look photos, 
-Guests will drive up and park, there is a drop off area under cover if the weather is bad. We are thinking of discussing hiring a valet, just in case of rain.
-As they walk in they are greeted by staff that offer them a drink, some finger foods will also be available, and shown to the coat check and the entrance to the ballroom.
-(So the ballroom will be setup for the ceremony, we don't have to do setup) We will do our 20-30 min ceremony
-Then do a receiving line to get people into the bar and dining area for cocktail hour, drinks will be available before ceremony and immediately after
while the room is being flipped
-Cocktail hour (there will actually be enough seats for everyone during cocktail hour too), During which we will take a few quick photos with grandparents and aunts/uncles then back to drinking :)  Some light appetizers will be available
-After cocktail hour we will go back to the ballroom and people will need time to move over and find their seats
-The DJ will announce b/g and the salad will be served, my dad will give a welcome/thank you  words (short, so not a speech) 
-Dinner served (veggie, salmon, and beef are the options), which actually includes a desert bar in addition to our cake, end of dinner and MOH will give her toast (BestM hasn't offered)
-We will cut the cake 
-First dance (while cake is cut and plated and set so people can just grab some)
-Father/Daughter dance, first 30 seconds and then DJ will encourage people to get out on the dance floor. 
-Dance until the night ends

I was thinking if we start at 4:30 then dinner could be served at 6ish? We will have kids in attendence, though mostly adults at a range of ages, so I thought dinner at six would be best.  Any opinions?

Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Wedding Timing

• Spuds good to me!
    Thanks, I just get nervous that I'm missing something and accidently being rude. That is why I love this forum!

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I thought first dance was supposed to follow after B&G intros? Maybe thats a case by case thing lol. Looks good!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

• Emmy1493 said:
    I thought first dance was supposed to follow after B&G intros? Maybe thats a case by case thing lol. Looks good!
    I have not clue? I thought after dinner because that is what my parents suggested?  Anyone else know?

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Emmy1493 said:
    I thought first dance was supposed to follow after B&G intros? Maybe thats a case by case thing lol. Looks good!
    I have not clue? I thought after dinner because that is what my parents suggested?  Anyone else know?

SITB:

I think this varies.  In NY they do it that way too.  Here in NJ the B&G get introduced, we do our first dance, then father/daughter dance, then mother/son dance.  Then dinner and dancing blah blah blah then cake towards the end.  I personally liked the idea of doing all the dances in the beginning so that's what we did.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • This sounds awesome!
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
    eyeroll

• Emmy1493 said:

SITB:

I think this varies.  In NY they do it that way too.  Here in NJ the B&G get introduced, we do our first dance, then father/daughter dance, then mother/son dance.  Then dinner and dancing blah blah blah then cake towards the end.  I personally liked the idea of doing all the dances in the beginning so that's what we did.

It's personal preference. We're doing it after dinner bc we want to open the dance floor right after we're done with spotlight dances. We're doing intro, cake cutting, salad, toasts, dinner, dances.

• Great! thanks ladies! I'll talk about the order with FI.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • mysticlmysticl member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    So I'm a little behind on stuff because of school and I am just getting back into planning. I was curious what time you ladies would think for my wedding.

My wedding is in OR on Dec 27. We are doing a first look (as of right now, but we have to determine based on timing and light) and taking all but family photos before the wedding.  Ceremony and reception place are both a golf course (indoor, they have a gorgeous ballroom). 

-Wedding party gets ready
    -Bridal party pictures, groom's party pictures, first look photos, family photos with immediate family.  during first look photos, 
    -Guests will drive up and park, there is a drop off area under cover if the weather is bad. We are thinking of discussing hiring a valet, just in case of rain.
    -As they walk in they are greeted by staff that offer them a drink, some finger foods will also be available, and shown to the coat check and the entrance to the ballroom.
    -(So the ballroom will be setup for the ceremony, we don't have to do setup) We will do our 20-30 min ceremony
    -Then do a receiving line to get people into the bar and dining area for cocktail hour, drinks will be available before ceremony and immediately after
    while the room is being flipped
    -Cocktail hour (there will actually be enough seats for everyone during cocktail hour too), During which we will take a few quick photos with grandparents and aunts/uncles then back to drinking :)  Some light appetizers will be available
    -After cocktail hour we will go back to the ballroom and people will need time to move over and find their seats
    -The DJ will announce b/g and the salad will be served, my dad will give a welcome/thank you  words (short, so not a speech) 
    -Dinner served (veggie, salmon, and beef are the options), which actually includes a desert bar in addition to our cake, end of dinner and MOH will give her toast (BestM hasn't offered)
    -We will cut the cake 
    -First dance (while cake is cut and plated and set so people can just grab some)
    -Father/Daughter dance, first 30 seconds and then DJ will encourage people to get out on the dance floor. 
    -Dance until the night ends

I was thinking if we start at 4:30 then dinner could be served at 6ish? We will have kids in attendence, though mostly adults at a range of ages, so I thought dinner at six would be best.  Any opinions?
    Just a thought.  These forums are the only place I have ever heard that people have to offer to give toasts. In my experience everyone pretty much expects the Best Man and Maid of Honor to give toasts so when you accept that role you basically assume you are going to be giving a toast unless you are asked not to.  So your Best Man may be planning to give one and not realize you are waiting for him to offer it.

Make sure people know they can grab cake.  At my wedding some people didn't get cake because when they saw the servers cutting it they expected them to come around and serve it and didn't realize it was just sitting on a table for them to take it.  
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I am always a fan of dinner first, so guests won't have to sit through boring dances while they are hungry, and just drink to pass the time (before they have food in their stomachs).

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards