Getting in Shape

Give Me Tips!! (October 25 Wedding)

I'm going to start this by saying that I'm not really trying to lose weight.  I'm just trying to get healthier/stop some of my bad habits.  I'm 5'3" and weigh between 112 and 115, depending on the day.  My usual workout regimen consists of cardio for 30 mins, usually three times a week, sometimes more, sometimes less.  I also throw in some dumbbells, planks, squats, etc.  We have a Bowflex but I don't really use it.  

I swam competitively from age 8 to 20, but I HATE running.  But I am trying to get into it because FI is a runner and we want to do races together.  I wish I could enjoy running...it's just that every time I get back on a running kick I end up making excuses.  Like I feel like I don't have proper running form, or I look stupid when I run, so it makes me self conscious.  I also tend to get bad side cramps when I run, and I'm not sure why.  Maybe dehydration?  Runner people, give me some beginner running tips please!!

I haven't worked out at all in the past few weeks...we got a new puppy who I've been infatuated with, and I started grad school at the same time.  So starting Monday I'm really looking to get back into my workout routine.  How do accountability partners work?  And would anyone like to volunteer as tribute?  :)

My other issue is my eating habits...I guess I'm lucky that I have a good metabolism so far and can eat what I want and nothing really changes.  But I know in the next few years my metabolism is going to slow down and therefore I need to get a head start on changing my eating habits.  I wouldn't say I'm an emotional eater...usually when I'm upset I don't feel like eating anything.  But I'm a happy eater, if that's a thing.  I eat when I have nothing else to do and because I like food and it makes me happy.  I don't work right now so I'm home during the day and that is when I do my snacking.  Dinners are fine though, we always eat a very balanced dinner.  I just need to cut the snacking during the day.  Does anyone have tips on boredom eating, or anyone else who is home during the day have solutions?  My sugar intake is also too high and I'd like to cut back on that.  I just have such a friggin sweet tooth!

Our wedding is Oct. 25.  We are moving in Sept. and from then up until our wedding I have a feeling everything is going to be chaos, so I'm not sure how much I'll be able to work out that last month.  That leaves me with about 12 weeks, starting Monday, to really focus on getting toned up and creating new eating habits.  If anyone has advice for getting motivated, etc., I would greatly appreciate it!

Re: Give Me Tips!! (October 25 Wedding)

• JasperandOpalJasperandOpal member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary First Answer First Comment
    edited May 2014
    It sounds like you are relatively healthy so thats great! My wedding in October 11th and I would say I am in a similar head-space as you, I don't really need to lose weight (well maybe four lbs or so but nothing substantial). Its more a matter of ensuring I stay healthy and keep good habits. 

I love to run. That said, I definitely convince myself out of it all the time and then I sort of "forget" I love it. To overcome that, I focus on going for short runs even if I don't want to. A run around a large block clocking in at about a mile doesn't take long and doing that on a regular basis helps me keep in the runner's mentality. 

As far as the cramping- make sure you are breathing properly. I am not a professional or perfect runner by any means and probably look ridiculous but the one thing I concentrate on when I run is my breathing. If I start to get a cramp I concentrate on forcing all the air out of my lungs and tightening my abs at the same time- forcefully blowing all the air out and then taking a deeeeep breath in. If I do that a couple times the cramp tends to go away. Dehydration can also be a cause and so can be eating the wrong foods before a run. Its different for everyone but if I eat anything more substantial than a banana before a run I feel it and it is not a nice feeling. 

I am a study snacker and have been in law school for the last three years and am now studying for the bar. I have decided not to punish myself by completely eliminating snacks but instead of snacking on the usual things I have filled my fridge with low calorie healthy snacks. I can't do nuts because I end up eating the whole bag but a lot of people use nuts or seeds for this purpose. I go with baby carrots or cut up regular carrots, blueberries, raspberries, chopped up celery, chopped up jicama and even raw asparagus (but lots of people, including FI think that one is weird). All of those snacks keep my hands and mouth busy but a cup of any of them clocks in at under 100 calories. 

And the new puppy is a great excuse to sneak in exercise! Depending on breed, you can take it for walks/hikes or find a dog park or other open area and play fetch. You will be bonding with pup and getting a mini work out at the same time!

Edited because all my spacing disappeared 
  • Walking is the secret weapon & changing your eating habits.

Start with like if you have to do errands in the area, walk there instead of drive. Go to the mall and purposely park as far away as possible.

Putting yourself in situations that force u to walk really helps a lot. Walking is amazing for your overall wellbeing in general.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I love to run! My biggest piece of advice to get into running is don't force yourself to run until you're in pain. Couch to 5k is a great walk/run method you can use to slowly build up your stamina. If you're worried about looking silly, I'd suggest going at a time of day when not a lot of people are around. And remember, to them you're just another person on a run. At most they'll look at you for five seconds and then carry on. 

Also, remember that running is something EVERYONE can do. I am not particularly coordinated or athletic. I never have considered myself fast. But with proper training, I have won several 5ks and ran lots of half marathons. It just takes the right mindset and right commitment.
  • I just got a puppy in December and it is amazing how much little Marley has forced me to get out of the apartment. I am always taking him outside to go potty and figure while I am out there I figure I might as well walk all the way around the complex. It is a good workout and I love doing it.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • kata18kata18 member
    5 Love Its Name Dropper First Comment
    I loathe running, especially when I see it in a workout. Adding mint, lemon and strawberry to your water is a good way to drink a lot of it. Walking outside is wonderful and cutting out dairy helps a lot. I still have the occasional ice cream, cheese or greek yogurt, but dairy has caused a huge change in my body for the better. As for snacks, dates are great and sweet, carry almonds with you or there's popcorn that's healthier. Good luck!
  • In regards to running: I use the app map my run when I walk. I'm not always consistent about exercising, but recently I worked out every single day for a week. Each day I would try to throw just a little running into my walk. I'd tell myself, I'll run from this light post to that light post--simple stuff like that, and I noticed that each day I went a little faster and a little farther. I agree with the other ladies. Start with walking and slowly you can work your way up to running. I found looking at my progress on map my run very motivating.

Also, with the cramping, I'm no expert, but I'm wondering if maybe you just need to pace yourself and build yourself up gradually.  Good luck!!
  • Aray82Aray82 member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited June 2014
    Find a gym or studio nearby that offers strength training classes. This is like the third time I posted this book recommendation on TK, but it really is that good: the new rules of lifting for women. You will not only burn more calories in the days following your workout, but you'll develop muscle that is more efficient at burning calories all the time, at rest or when you're walking! By October 25, you should see serious results (and don't worry about looking bulky--that's a myth). I hear ya on the sweet tooth! Rather than completely deprive myself, I've been able to manage it by making more conscious, enjoyable food choices. For example, I avoid the free doughnuts in the faculty copy room, but I'll but myself a $4.00 dollar gourmet organic dark chocolate bar that will satisfy me more with just two bites than a whole donut. Yeah, no sweets would be the best choice, but with the second choice I'm eating a smaller portion, getting antioxidants, and not eating high fructose corn syrup which is more terrible than cane sugar. ETA: Snack away! It's actually better for your metabolism if you can do six smaller meals throughout the day. Get some protein in your breakfast so you won't be as hungry later, but if you do snack, make sure they're filling ones. I like half a cup of cottage cheese with some fruit, or rice cakes topped with natural peanut butter, Swiss cheese, a small slice of turkey breast and mustard...not all at once with the peanut butter though :P
  • I did a whole blog entry on this as I was really not in shape - I LOVE classes and have massively got into them. Zumba (or any basic aerobics class) is brilliant and I found a 10 minute Abs DVD that is brilliant. Good luck and hope you get something from the blog!! http://bridechiller.blogspot.co.uk/2014_06_01_archive.html

• Hey! 
    I've been doing Focus T25. It's at home workouts, 25 min a day, 5 days a week. The program is 9 weeks long and the results are truly amazing. If you're looking for faster results but still healthy, I'd recommend 21 Day Fix. In just 21 days women are losing up to 15 pounds by exercising 30 min a day and eating right. It's not a gimmick. If you put in the effort, you will see results! Please email me if you want more info. I'd love to coach you through the process and find the right program for you. oakley.tessa@gmail.com
  • If you want to get into running, my biggest tip is to get good running shoes.  Go to a true running store where they will watch you run on a treadmill and make a recommendation based on how you run.  I did not do this and ended up with tendinitis in my calf...ouch!  Also, make sure you stretch before and after.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards