Wedding Etiquette Forum

is it just me...

2»

Re: is it just me...

•  My favorite: we're ordering cheap, simple bouquets for me and the BMs. I'm not a big flower lover but want fresh flowers. I keep being told that I need bigger, more elaborate bouquets and that I should just make them myself. I know I'll never like my work and don't want to spend the day before my wedding attempting them. But I should know better since Pinterest says it's easy!
    Who on earth thinks making bouquets is so easy that the best time to attempt it is the day before your wedding?!  I love making bouquets and flower arrangements, have taken classes on how to do it, and make them as presents frequently.  So, I'll be making my own bouquets, but I've still had plenty of people worry that it's taking on too much right before the wedding.  

Your plan sounds awesome, and is probably exactly what I would do if flower arranging wasn't stress relief for me.  Next time someone says that, ask them if they plan on helping you to wire every single flower before it gets put into the bouquet. 
  • sarahonlifesarahonlife member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper First Comment
    edited June 2014

My favorite: we're ordering cheap, simple bouquets for me and the BMs. I'm not a big flower lover but want fresh flowers. I keep being told that I need bigger, more elaborate bouquets and that I should just make them myself. I know I'll never like my work and don't want to spend the day before my wedding attempting them. But I should know better since Pinterest says it's easy!

Who on earth thinks making bouquets is so easy that the best time to attempt it is the day before your wedding?!  I love making bouquets and flower arrangements, have taken classes on how to do it, and make them as presents frequently.  So, I'll be making my own bouquets, but I've still had plenty of people worry that it's taking on too much right before the wedding.  

Your plan sounds awesome, and is probably exactly what I would do if flower arranging wasn't stress relief for me.  Next time someone says that, ask them if they plan on helping you to wire every single flower before it gets put into the bouquet. 

---------------------------------
    My mom. "Well the night before So and So's wedding we just all got together with a bunch of loose flowers and made all the bouquets and decorations. Only took a few hours! We can do that for yours!" The last thing on earth I want to do the night before my wedding is spend hours arranging a bunch of stupid flowers I could have just paid someone for.
  • phira said:

Oh god, Pinterest.

The thing is, I find Pinterest very useful when I want to keep track of a lot of bookmarks. So instead of bookmarking 50 recipes and having to figure out what they are from the URLs, I can have a board with 50 recipes pinned, and nice pretty pictures for me to see.

And I've used it for wedding planning. The easiest way for my partner and I to make decisions on things like invitations is to have one person pin all of their favorites, and then have the other person log in whenever it's convenient and delete the pins they don't like.

But it's so easy to fall into the trap of, "I need these poses for photos because Pinterest," or, "Omigod such a cute idea we have to incorporate it!" because the trap doesn't just end with you incorporating one cute idea, or taking one cute posed picture.
    I also love Pinterest for recipes, because it's easier to sort them (chicken, beef, crockpot, etc.)

When I was planning my wedding, I love it for visual ideas. I'm a visual person, so SEEING colour combinations really helped me (and Mama HisGirl and DH) figure out what we do and don't like. Or did and didn't like.

But I agree with PPs that it's how you were raised. Iwas raised to work hard for things and save money and that we weren't entitled to anything.

Also, if I had suggested I wanted a $10K dress or pages and pages of photos that would take hours to shoot or a gap or anything else rude, my mother would have chastised my 30-somthing-year-old self and told me I was being rude and she raised me better than that and it might be my wedding but it wasn't my day to be rude to my guests.

Because even at my age, my mother is going to tell me when my behaviour isn't what she expects.
    Anniversary

I'm gonna go with 'not my circus, not my monkeys.'
  • I think social conditioning is also playing a bigger and bigger role. Like PP said, the "average" wedding now used to be a rich person thing. I see so many brides who worry that whatever they do is never "enough." You should have seen FMIL's face when I mentioned having second thoughts about individual favors. Other people did, you know, why on earth wouldn't we?

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards