2»

Re: The weekend!

• Mead -> Vikings, I think.
    --

I'm the fuck
    out.

• vikings, ho!
  • beethery said:
    Omg I want to serve mead at our wedding. I have a distant friend who makes mead... I haven't seen him in years and years but I almost want to contract him to make sparkling mead for toasts at the reception.

That would involve talking to people, and that is not going to happen.

Where'd you get your mead?
    Not sure where you are, but we got our mead from a winery in PA (http://cardinalhollowwinery.com/). They make several kinds, but only list 2 on their website. They do ship their products.

Blergbot said:
    Mead it too sweet for me. Don't know why I was surprised as it's made from honey...must have been thinking of grog. Grog is supposed to be hearty, right?
    The mead we're using is the winery's whiskey mead. It was fermented in old whiskey barrels, so not nearly as sweet as regular mead. That's one of the things we like about it. You taste the whiskey first, followed by a slight sweetness from the honey, and then the taste pretty much disappears until you take your next sip.
    beethery said:
    Mead -> Vikings, I think.

Mead is from the Celts. From what I understand, it's possibly where the term "honeymoon" came from. According to the Wikipedia entry:

"The term most likely comes from an old English tradition that dates from the Middle Ages. Mead was drunk in great quantities at weddings, and after the ceremony nuptial couples were given a month’s supply of mead—sufficient for one full cycle of the moon. It was believed that by faithfully drinking mead for that first month, the woman would “bear fruit” and a child would be born within the year."
    ~*~*~*~*~

• beethery said:
    Omg I want to serve mead at our wedding. I have a distant friend who makes mead... I haven't seen him in years and years but I almost want to contract him to make sparkling mead for toasts at the reception.

That would involve talking to people, and that is not going to happen.

Where'd you get your mead?
    Not sure where you are, but we got our mead from a winery in PA (http://cardinalhollowwinery.com/). They make several kinds, but only list 2 on their website. They do ship their products.

Blergbot said:
    Mead it too sweet for me. Don't know why I was surprised as it's made from honey...must have been thinking of grog. Grog is supposed to be hearty, right?
    The mead we're using is the winery's whiskey mead. It was fermented in old whiskey barrels, so not nearly as sweet as regular mead. That's one of the things we like about it. You taste the whiskey first, followed by a slight sweetness from the honey, and then the taste pretty much disappears until you take your next sip.
    beethery said:
    Mead -> Vikings, I think.

Mead is from the Celts. From what I understand, it's possibly where the term "honeymoon" came from. According to the Wikipedia entry:

"The term most likely comes from an old English tradition that dates from the Middle Ages. Mead was drunk in great quantities at weddings, and after the ceremony nuptial couples were given a month’s supply of mead—sufficient for one full cycle of the moon. It was believed that by faithfully drinking mead for that first month, the woman would “bear fruit” and a child would be born within the year."
    I did not know any of this, that is all cool info!
    --

I'm the fuck
    out.

• beethery said:
    I did not know any of this, that is all cool info!
    I've been looking into lots of Irish/Celtic traditions to incorporate into our wedding. It's really fascinating stuff. My favorite part, of course, is the drinking mead part! haha
    ~*~*~*~*~

• Today is my Friday, so once the matinee is done, my MOH and I will be driving the 6 hours to my hometown for the shower my Godmother and cousin (also a BM) are hosting. So Monday is the shower, Tuesday we'll probably go to Sephora, since there isn't one where we live and then heading to a MLB game, and driving back Wednesday. Fun times ahead, although I'll miss my FI terribly. I know it's only 3 nights, but we haven't been apart that long since we started living together 2 years ago!
  • I am very very very very sad right now. Just took FI to the airport. He will be gone for four days. FOUR DAYS! *whine* Of course, I will be leaving for a four and a half week summer program 4 hours away at the end of the month, so I should really be able to handle 4 days. But then FI will be the one stuck home alone and I will be too busy to miss him (ok. SO not true.). I know there are people on here who are doing long distance. I don't know how you people live!
  • Blergbot said:
    I am very very very very sad right now. Just took FI to the airport. He will be gone for four days. FOUR DAYS! *whine* Of course, I will be leaving for a four and a half week summer program 4 hours away at the end of the month, so I should really be able to handle 4 days. But then FI will be the one stuck home alone and I will be too busy to miss him (ok. SO not true.). I know there are people on here who are doing long distance. I don't know how you people live!
    Very miserably. We have been long-distance for 2 years now, getting married in Dec and another 2 years to go. But I totally understand being miserable and you still have every right to be miserable about it. I totally would be too. 

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Blergbot said:
    I am very very very very sad right now. Just took FI to the airport. He will be gone for four days. FOUR DAYS! *whine* Of course, I will be leaving for a four and a half week summer program 4 hours away at the end of the month, so I should really be able to handle 4 days. But then FI will be the one stuck home alone and I will be too busy to miss him (ok. SO not true.). I know there are people on here who are doing long distance. I don't know how you people live!
    Very miserably. We have been long-distance for 2 years now, getting married in Dec and another 2 years to go. But I totally understand being miserable and you still have every right to be miserable about it. I totally would be too. 

Wow! I am just no good at being away from my B. Sorry you have to do the long distance thing. Some friends of ours just got married and they have to spend at least the first year in separate states. Boo to that!
  • We did long distance just for this school year, and it was miserable. I'm so glad we don't have to do it any longer. It also didn't help that we would have a long stretch where we saw each other a bunch (like we went half of February and all of March where we saw each other at least every weekend) and then we'd have a really long stretch apart.

We're on our last long stretch (12 days), and this one has been agonizing! He's on a fishing trip, so we've been limited to short FB chats in the evening, and a handful of buggy Skype calls. :( It's even worse because I just want it to end so I can see him and we can GET MARRIED ALREADY!
  • I'd pretty much lived on my own for ten years before I moved in with FI. I was lonely, but I learned to live by myself. Now he's gone for a few hours and I don't know what the hell to do with myself!!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards