Wedding Etiquette Forum

Meals for vendors

Since a lot of weddings take place at around dinner time, do we provide meals for the vendors? Like DJ, officiant, coordinator, etc. I thought we were but when I brought this up to my mother she said she had never heard of that before. 

Thanks! 

Re: Meals for vendors

• Well my 4th DD gets married in two weeks and we have fed ALL of the vendors for ALL of the weddings.  Quite often it is contractual.  Back when your mom and I were planning weddings you didn't have so many vendors and such elaborate receptions so we didn't have to worry about feeding any vendors except "maybe" the photographer.  I can understand why she has never heard of it, but I strongly advise you to feed these people!
  • That's what I thought! She said she didn't feed her vendors at her wedding (in 1976) and didn't feed the vendors at mine and my sister's bat mitzvahs (both at 2:00pm!). Thank you!
  • labrolabro member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    We are feeding our dj, our photographer, and her assistant. You should offer to feed anyone who is working through your reception (if you aren't already contractually obligated to do so) since they'll likely not have an opportunity to leave for a dinner break. We offered to feed our officiant as well but he likely won't stay for the reception. If it's a cost thing, your caterer may offer you a discount for vendor meals.

• FiancBFiancB member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    Sometimes venues offer a "vendor meal" that is a bit less costly and may be a sandwich or something like that. Some vendors are okay with this, some not. But since I want my vendors to be happy, might as well just go all out.
  • Awesome, thanks, I'm meeting with the coordinator this week so will make sure I ask about vendor meals! 
  • We fed our DJ and photographer, who were the only vendors at the reception (unless you count the priest, in which case we fed him, too.)

We fed both of them the buffet meal that we fed our guests. Our photographer asked for it and I just did the same for our DJ.

I wanted them fed and happy and able to do a good job.
    Anniversary

I'm gonna go with 'not my circus, not my monkeys.'
  • Best way to figure out who NEEDS to be fed is to check your contracts. Usually their meal requirements will be in there.  If not, ask. But really, anyone who is going to be working over a meal time (usually photographers and DJ, at the minimum) needs to be given a break and a meal. Happy vendors will give you the best service.
  • You're right -- definitely feed your vendors! We are feeding our photographer, her assistant, and 12 band members, and I second that you definitely ask your venue about vendor meals. We are able to feed everyone really great food but they are cutting us some slack on the price because none of our vendors will be drinking, nor will they be eating during cocktail hour. It's about a fourth of the price! 

If your photographer will be with you all day, I'd even recommend you offer him/her more than just dinner! Even just packing an inexpensive little care kit with things like water bottles, cliff bars, or snacks will be much appreciated, and will make your vendors more alert during the day!
  • Yes.
    What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
  • I was wondering about this too, i figured a photographer but never thought about the dj actually.
  • We are using an "all inclusive" venue that provides the officiant, photog, DJ, etc as part of the packaged price.  We are not expected to feed anyone.  I think it varies from place to place.  My personal thought as it relates to etiquette is that if they are a person required to stay throughout the reception, then you should provide them a meal. 
  • Question...my DOC will be working in setup in my after party location while were having dinner at the restaurant In another location. How do I handle this? That's really the only vendor.
  • yes, you feed you vendors. If you feed your guests, you feed your vendors. Keep in mind, their work day will be just as long as yours most likely and they will also work better when fed just like the rest of us. Ask your venue, sometimes they have different "vendor" prices since they won't be drinking liquor
  • We were required by contract to feed the band, photographers, and videographers, but as they were with us all day we would have fed them regardless!  While we were at it we also fed our wedding planner and her coordinator.  The venue offered a vendor hot meal (chicken, veggie, starch, beverages) for about 1/3 of what it was costing to feed our guests (they had a cheaper cold sandwich option as well). While the bar was consumption and open to all, I think only the band took us up on it but they certainly weren't intoxicated and kept the party going!  I think to feed all the vendors was less than $300 for 10 meals. 

Feed them.  They'll be much nicer to work with come 9 pm

• We were required by contract to feed the band, photographers, and videographers, but as they were with us all day we would have fed them regardless!  While we were at it we also fed our wedding planner and her coordinator.  The venue offered a vendor hot meal (chicken, veggie, starch, beverages) for about 1/3 of what it was costing to feed our guests (they had a cheaper cold sandwich option as well). While the bar was consumption and open to all, I think only the band took us up on it but they certainly weren't intoxicated and kept the party going!  I think to feed all the vendors was less than $300 for 10 meals. 

Feed them.  They'll be much nicer to work with come 9 pm
    Pretty much this. I don't know about you but I get hangry and am a PITA to work with if I work all day without eating. Anyone who would be at your wedding for all or most of the time (photographers, DOC, DJ) needs to be fed.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

• phiraphira member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    We're going to check with our vendors and contracts, but our venue provides vendor meals. No problem for us. Fed vendors are happy vendors!
    Anniversary
    now with ~* INCREASED SASSINESS *~
  • SP29SP29 member
    Feed any vendor that is present for the reception. In most cases, if they aren't part of the ceremony as well, they have still shown up early for set up, thus that is a long time to go without food.

We fed our DJ (he ate at his table), and the 2 photographers. We invited the officiant and his wife as guests, but they declined. 

Our reception had a package price that included dinner and open bar. The vendors received the same meal as all the guests, less the price of the bar. 
  • We are feeding our 2 photographers, videographer, DJ & photobooth attendant.

Anniversary

• What do your contracts with your vendors say?

Vendors who are working throughout the event, like photographers, videographers, MCs, DJs, and musicians, should be provided meals and meal breaks.  If your officiant is attending your reception as a guest, s/he should be offered a meal along with his/her SO.  Your venue might provide "vendor meals" which may be smaller, less expensive meals than those served to guests and are served away from the guests, so you might look into this.
  • lc07lc07 member
    Question...my DOC will be working in setup in my after party location while were having dinner at the restaurant In another location. How do I handle this? That's really the only vendor.
    Have the venue serve your DOC their meal either before or after they go to do the set up at the after party. It doesn't need to be at the same time that everyone else is eating.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards