Not Engaged Yet
Options

We've made our first wedding decision!

We are having a destination wedding. We've always wanted to do it, but the past year we started thinking about how important it was to have our family there and perhaps getting married locally would be better. Fast forward a week into being engaged and discovered that getting married in Minneapolis is far more expensive than we had anticipated. So back to a destination wedding. We told our family (the VIPS) and everyone is on board so far. Woo!!!

Re: We've made our first wedding decision!

• Options
    Yay! That's exciting! Have you narrowed it down to some possible destinations? 

• Options
    That's awesome! Where are y'all thinking of going?
  • Options
    BreMRBreMR member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment Name Dropper
    We've only ever been to Mexico so we're shooting for Mexico.  I am not about making it legal before going and then faking a ceremony so it is kind of a bummer that there are so many hoops to jump through in Mexico (blood tests, translation of birth certificates, etc)  but we will factor it into our budget and deal with it! 
  • Options
    Where are you guys going planning?  Or haven't you figured it out yet? 

Anniversary
  • Options
    phiraphira member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    That sounds so awesome!!!
    Anniversary
    now with ~* INCREASED SASSINESS *~
  • Options
    BreMRBreMR member
    We are looking at Dreams Puerto Aventura, Dreams Tulum and Azul Sensatori in the Riviera. We've stayed at a Dreams resort in Cancun (that recently closed) and loved their service and food so I feel okay with choosing one based on that alone...
  • Options
    How fun! 

• Options
    I'm jealous! I wanted to have a DW in Mexico. When I did my research, a lot of the wedding coordinators on the resort will help you jump through the hoops of Mexican government to get married down there, the resort we looked at even provided witnesses if you needed them. Good luck!

Wedding Countdown Ticker

image 59 Invited
    image 36 Yes
    image 2 No
    image 21 Unknown
  • Options
    BreMRBreMR member
    @buddysmom80 the Dreams resorts make it as easy as possible it seems.  They offer witnesses, the doctor comes right to the resort for the blood test, they coordinate the arrival of the minister.  That is really nice, it just racks up the cost of the overall budget.  However, I have a friend who got married in Mexico and never got their document translated to have it filed in the US so, legally he isn't married?! I just want to do what it takes to make it legal and not have to worry about it! 
  • Options
    Very exciting!! Congrats!

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    woohoo!!!!!! Good luck with your wedding planning!!! :)
    Anniversary

• Options
    Congrats on making your first decision!  I really wanted a destination wedding as well.  I researched and chose everything from the hotel to the photographer and was just short of putting deposits down when my dad decided to do a 180 and tell me he didn't want to go to Mexico and he would pay for a wedding at home.  I'm not sure if you are planning to do outside vendors or not but if so, make sure you check with the hotel on the charges for those.  They have a few things that kind of pop up charge wise.  There is a lot of great info and reviews on destinationwedding.com as well.  Good luck with all the planning!

Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options
    That is awesome! I heard about all the work that Mexico makes you put in, but it sounds like it's actually attainable. Should be great!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Wedding Countdown Ticker

• Options
    Yay fun! I kinda wished we had done a DW wedding in the bahamas in March

Anniversary

• Options
    BreMRBreMR member
    Congrats on making your first decision!  I really wanted a destination wedding as well.  I researched and chose everything from the hotel to the photographer and was just short of putting deposits down when my dad decided to do a 180 and tell me he didn't want to go to Mexico and he would pay for a wedding at home.  I'm not sure if you are planning to do outside vendors or not but if so, make sure you check with the hotel on the charges for those.  They have a few things that kind of pop up charge wise.  There is a lot of great info and reviews on destinationwedding.com as well.  Good luck with all the planning!
    Thank you!! Funny story, my dad actually said he'd pay for half of my wedding if we got married around here because he didn't want to go through the hassle of taking off that much work and getting a passport, but this was prior to us being engaged and just throwing around ideas.  Fast forward to us getting engaged and he seems to have forgotten that because this was our convo:
    Dad: "are you still wanting to get married in Mexico?" 
    Me: "uh.. well we're trying to see what we can afford around here but nothing is really in our price range" 
     Dad: Well if Mexico is what you can afford that's what you should do, I'll make it happen so I can be there.

I've learned from reading the etiquette board that you should never ask for money, so if he wasn't going ot offer I wasn't going to ask. 
  • Options
    justbeingme93justbeingme93 member
    edited June 2014
    That is very exciting! Mexico sounds lovely. Do you have a time of year that you are considering? 

I'm sorry to hear that your Dad went back on his word. Hopefully, he will think otherwise once you guys really start to get into planning. Do what you can afford. If you find out he can help with the finances later, then you will have some fun money! Don't let it ruin your planning or engagement. 
  • Options
    @BreMR - That's where we were!  We just could NOT see ourselves going in to debt for a wedding at home and we knew we could afford Mexico so we went about planning after everyone said they were on board.  My dad totally surprised me with offering to foot the bill and at the end of the day we ended up being really happy with how it turned out.  We are going to go on vacation at some point in the next few years and renew vows on the beach.  Just in case you aren't 100% sold on Mexico, Jamaica is also a fantastic place to consider.

• Options
    BreMRBreMR member
    @justbeingme93 Well, I'm a HUGE Christmas junkie so when we were thinking we might get married locally I wanted a December wedding with Christmas accents so I still think I want to stay NEAR Christmas but not too close since it might scare people away.  Also, it will be in 2015 so not this year.

@doubleSS07,  Jamaica looks incredible, I just think it might be out of the price range at this point :(
  • Options
    @BreMR

Christmas would be a great time of year - especially if you are trying to avoid the cold! The only thing that might be tricky is people being leery about spending extra money on a trip that time of year. I just love the holiday season though! The people that mean the most will make the trip!
  • Options
    BreMRBreMR member
    @BreMR

Christmas would be a great time of year - especially if you are trying to avoid the cold! The only thing that might be tricky is people being leery about spending extra money on a trip that time of year. I just love the holiday season though! The people that mean the most will make the trip!

SITB:

Yeah I definitely agree!  We are hoping to pin down a date and location ASAP so that we can at least tell people "here is where we are going, this is when, here's what the rooms are going for right now." so that they have plenty of time to prepare! 
  • Options
    Congrats on your decision!  Sounds like it will be a ton of fun!  I wanted a DW as well but wanted my mom there and she can't travel.
  • Options
    So jealous:  I wanted to honeymoon in Tulum initially, FI was not amused with going 'out of the country' for our honeymoon.  I told him I wanted to go see Chichen Itza and he couldn't remember what the ruins were called, so now we call the ruins 'Chicken Pizza'.

Anniversary
  • Options
    BreMRBreMR member
    Tulum WAS on the top of our list because of the proximity to the ruins and xel-hal park... but I think it's closest to 2nd place right now because of the cost and the distance from the airport! 
  • Options
    Yaaaaay for destination weddings and the first major wedding-related decision! 

• Options
    BreMRBreMR member
    Woo!  We've picked the resort and the date (December 10, 2015)  so a looong way away, but I knew we couldn't swing it this winter so it pushed us to next year! 

We'll be getting married at Dreams Puerto Aventuras! http://www.dreamsresorts.com/puerto-aventuras
     (if you want to check it out) 

WOO! 
  • Options
    Wow! It looks gorgeous! 

• Options
    It looks beautiful!!  We're all invited, right??

Anniversary
  • Options
    @TwoDimes - I can't stop any wedding crashers as it's a public area in Disney we're getting married at (and the day after we're planning on Drinking Around The World @ Epcot).  :-)

Anniversary
  • Options
    BreMRBreMR member
    Thanks ladies! You are all invited.  I'm pretty sure my family will all back out so I'll need some people there to support me ;)

• Options
    It looks gorgeous! Congrats on picking a location and date, that's awesome!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Wedding Countdown Ticker

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards