Wedding Reception Forum
Options

What Are your First Dance & Father/Daughter Dance songs?

Re: What Are your First Dance & Father/Daughter Dance songs?

• Options

@wandajune6 I ended up having to choose FI's mother/son dance too. He has no opinion on the matter and his mom is the same so I asked his dad who suggested something by The Beatles so it'll probably end up being Blackbird.

I love that song! They're both going to be unhappy with whatever I choose- he inevitably won't like it and she won't understand the lyrics (her English isn't great and I don't know a lot of Spanish-language music)!
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options
    erinlin25 said:
    Our first dance was "Your Everything" from Keith Urban. 

I let my dad pick Father/Daughter (and he wanted to surprise me)  he picked "My Little Girl" from Tim McGraw, and it definitely made me cry
    Also doing "Your Everything" for first dance.  :)

Before my dad passed we shot a video of us dancing to Bruce Springsteen's "When You Need Me". We felt like it was the best for us (hes a huge Bruce fan), especially given the situation.

imageimage

• Options
    CamiSeleneCamiSelene member
    5 Love Its First Answer First Comment First Anniversary
    edited May 2014
    @wandajune6 I ended up having to choose FI's mother/son dance too. He has no opinion on the matter and his mom is the same so I asked his dad who suggested something by The Beatles so it'll probably end up being Blackbird.
    I love that song! They're both going to be unhappy with whatever I choose- he inevitably won't like it and she won't understand the lyrics (her English isn't great and I don't know a lot of Spanish-language music)!

Me too. It's such a good song! That's too bad about your situation. Could his dad give you some suggestions of Spanish songs or his English not very good either? I googled a few Spanish mother/son songs and there were a few nice ones (I looked up the English lyric translation) so here are a few options:

Boys 2 men - A song for mama (they do a Spanish version) 

Marco Antoni Solis - Te amo mama

If you want something a bit faster: Gloria Estefan - Milagro

ETA: links

Anniversary

BabyFruit Ticker

• Options
    erinlin25 said:
    Our first dance was "Your Everything" from Keith Urban. 

I let my dad pick Father/Daughter (and he wanted to surprise me)  he picked "My Little Girl" from Tim McGraw, and it definitely made me cry
    Also doing "Your Everything" for first dance.  :)

Before my dad passed we shot a video of us dancing to Bruce Springsteen's "When You Need Me". We felt like it was the best for us (hes a huge Bruce fan), especially given the situation.
    "Your Everything" is one of my all-time favorite songs... but for some reason FI was always kinda "meh" when I suggested it. Le sigh.

• Options

Me too. It's such a good song! That's too bad about your situation. Could his dad give you some suggestions of Spanish songs or his English not very good either? I googled a few Spanish mother/son songs and there were a few nice ones (I looked up the English lyric translation) so here are a few options:

Boys 2 men - A song for mama (they do a Spanish version) 

Marco Antoni Solis - Te amo mama

If you want something a bit faster: Gloria Estefan - Milagro

ETA: links

His dad passed several years ago. Those songs are familiar and could work. Thanks for the suggestions!
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options
    We are dancing to The Angel in my Arms.. I'm kinda meh about the song but my dad really likes it, so we're dancing to that.  I really wanted to use I loved her First, but dad isn't too into country. 

Anniversary

• Options
    First dance: Be My Baby by the Ronettes

Father/daughter: Nothing Can Ever Change This Love by Sam Cooke

Daisypath Anniversary tickers Daisypath Anniversary tickers

• Options
    Our first dance will be At Last, by Etta James. We have been together for 12 years before he proposed. i think it is so sweet and perfect. My twin sister and I will be dancing to You Raise me Up by Josh Groban. And my grandfather and I will not be having a spotlight dance, but I would like the DJ to play Through the Years, by Kenny Rogers, and drag him onto the dance floor. I HATE country, but i couldn't find a more perfect song for a man who was there for me when others weren't. He really stepped up and took on a role of a father, and I want him to know just how much that means to me.
  • Options
    Our first dance will be Jason Mraz "I Won't Give up". We tossed around so many songs, and I chose the song for our ceremony, so I let him choose our first dance song. I dancing with my dad to Heartland's "I loved her first" and he is dancing with his mom to Celine's "Because you loved me". We just had our final meeting with our DJ last week...and wedding is May 31! Getting so close!
  • Options
    Our first dance will be At Last, by Etta James. We have been together for 12 years before he proposed. i think it is so sweet and perfect. My twin sister and I will be dancing to You Raise me Up by Josh Groban. And my grandfather and I will not be having a spotlight dance, but I would like the DJ to play Through the Years, by Kenny Rogers, and drag him onto the dance floor. I HATE country, but i couldn't find a more perfect song for a man who was there for me when others weren't. He really stepped up and took on a role of a father, and I want him to know just how much that means to me.
    We're doing something similar. Not a spotlight dance but to open the dance floor we are having the DJ play My Way by Paul Anka and FI will be asking my grandma to dance. We're getting married on my grandparent's 62nd anniversary and my grandpa passed last year. Paul Anka is my grandmother's favourite singer and My Way is a song that reminds my family of my grandpa. I'll be asking my other grandpa to dance at this time too. FI doesn't have living grandparents.

Anniversary

BabyFruit Ticker

• Options
    Marzipan13Marzipan13 member
    First Comment 5 Love Its First Anniversary Name Dropper
    edited May 2014
    Our first dance song will be "Amazing Eyes" by Good Old War, and our father / daughter dance song will be "Sparks" by Coldplay.  

ETA:  Idk what FI & his mom are going to do, if anything. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
    Mr. Bean Flipping the Bird
  • Options
    Our first dance song will be "Into the Mystic" by Van Morrison.

For the Father/Daughter dance... I'm probably gonna make people cry.  Both of my parents are gone.  My mom passed 2 years ago and my dad passed 11 years ago.  My FFIL is going to do the father/daughter dance with me... and I've chosen "Dance with My Father" by Luther Vandross.  

• Options
    Our first dance is "Bless the Broken Road" by Rascal Flatts. My dad and I will dance to "What a Wonderful World" by Louis Armstrong.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    My FI chose "Simple Man" by Lynard Skynard for his mother/son dance. 
  • Options
    First dance is "Like the rain" by clint black, even though everyone always associates us with...in all seriousness..."the downeaster alexa", which we will butcher at some point, im sure. Father-daughter i the GnR song "sweet child of mine"...we are probably using a jazzy, slower version because my mom wont let us use the original...largely because we are really loud and obnoxious lol. Dad and I have a very weird relationship, not always the best for a long time, so I didnt want anything commonly used or too "daddys little girl" because I most certainly am not. My dad played sweet child and we both started doing that dumb axl rose dance, we decided we liked it, boom.
  • Options
    Our first dance will be "You Are the Best Thing" by Ray Lamontagne. 
  • Options
    First dance "If" by Bread.
    Father-daughter dance "My Girl".
    I want to keep it classic and beautiful.
  • Options
    My fiance and I are actually working on writing our own first dance song. And for the father-daughter dance, dad and I decided to use "Father and Daughter" by Paul Simon.
  • Options
    Our first dance song, is "Maybe I'm Amazed," by Paul McCartney.  

We're still undecided on the father/daughter song.  
  • Options
    Our Father/Daughter song is going to be "It Won't Be Like This for Long" by Darius Rucker.  I wanted a song that was cute but not overly cheesy or affectionate.

We still haven't 100% decided on our first dance song.  We originally said "All of Me" by John Legend but it seems like everyone is doing that these days.  I also found "Once in a Lifetime" by Landon Austin.  Such a pretty song!  We might use that one too.
  • Options

My first dance song is going to be a surprise! My FI really wants to pick out our first song and wants it to be a surprise for me. I figured since he has to wait to see me in my dress(that he has been dying to see!) that it was a perfect compromise!

Haven't picked out the song for the father/daughter dance, but thanks for all the great ideas! :)

• Options
    @lolo883 That's so beautiful!!
  • Options
    ahyatt87 thanks to you I think both songs will be by Billy Joel! Our song has been She's got a way by Billy Joel ever since one drunken night of karaoke at the beginning of us dating. 

I just looked up Lullaby after seeing that was what you were using and I teared up and will see what my daddy thinks. 
  • Options
    I can't tell you the number of issues FI and I have had deciding on a song.  This is partly because my older sister, who got married first, stole what FI and I have always regarded as our song (simply because they got sick of looking).

He likes metal; I can't stand it.  We both like a lot of similar stuff from the 60s, 70s, and 80s, but can't think of anything that hasn't been completely overused.  I tried to get FI interested in some older stuff (think Gershwin here) but that was all a no go.  At this point, my band is on holiday for another three months.  We're both happy with a slower version of Something so Strong by Crowded House, and my Dad wants Bridge Over Troubled Water by Simon and Garfunkel, so it's a matter of seeing whether this would be feasible or not.  I feel as though the band might be a bit put out if we go with prerecorded music.  I'm actually more worried about Dad's choice than FIs.  It's not a big deal.  Dad's super in to music, so we'll find something that works.  That song just has a lot of sentimental value.  
  • Options
    Our first dance is "Here, There, and Everywhere" by The Beatles
    Father/Daughter is "Lullaby" by Billy Joel 
    Mother/Son is "I hope you Dance " by Leann Womack-  Love this pick because they also danced to this at his mom's wedding back in September :)
  • Options
    finneafinnea member
    First Comment

tcnoble said:

Our first dance is "Shameless" by Garth Brooks.

Father/daughter dance is "Tough Little Boys" by Gary Allan.
    I'd prefer the Billy Joel version of Shameless! It has more soul in it, I think. :)
  • Options
    Our first dance is "Here, There, and Everywhere" by The Beatles
    Father/Daughter is "Lullaby" by Billy Joel 
    Mother/Son is "I hope you Dance " by Leann Womack-  Love this pick because they also danced to this at his mom's wedding back in September :)
    I really wanted "Here, There, and Everywhere" for a long time.  I got put off it when they used it on Friends, even if it was a steel drum version.  

On a general note: seeing as my FMIL can't make it to the wedding, should I ask if there's someone else FI would like to dance with?  Maybe either of my MOBs, or my Dad's wife.  I doubt many of his friends/family will be turning up, but we'll be doing something in the US later on with them.  Just a cocktail party, but everyone keeps saying not to do significant dances at such events.  Thanks!
  • Options
    Father/Daughter Dance was to Celine Dion's Because You Loved Me
  • Options
    I like All of Me by john legend (the original, not the pop version) for a first dance and we are considering using it.

Father/Daughter dance song will be Butterfly Kisses by Bob Carlisle. It's been our song since I was 5. My mom bought the CD for my dad for Father's Day.
  • Options

Our first dance is "Offering" by the Avett Brothers. They have been one of my favorite bands for a long time and my fiancé and I saw them in concert for the first time 2 days before we got engaged. Plus the song has amazing, sentimental lyrics!

My father/daughter dance is "Irish Eyes Are Smiling" by Bing Crosby. I was having a hard time choosing a song for my dad because I didn't want it to be anything too cliché and on top of that we don't have to many musical interests in common. Just when I started getting frustrated, I randomly came up with this one. I am a proud Irish redhead and my dad loves classic oldies music so the Bing Crosby version is perfect.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards