Wedding Etiquette Forum
Options

Honeymoon Registry/shower

Re: Honeymoon Registry/shower

• Options
    NYCBruin said:
    FWIW, here is a short story about the last honeymoon registry I contributed to.  This couple was going to Hawaii.  One of the things on the HR was a volcano hike - this is what I chose to buy for them.  About a month after they returned from their trip, I received a thank you card from the bride and groom with a picture of them at the top of the volcano.  I thought it was really cute and thoughtful, and it let me know that they did actually use the money for what I had intended.

I get that maybe not everyone is that way, but... I don't know... I've had positive experiences in general with honeymoon registries. 

Someone said above "Just because YOU feel that way doesn't mean EVERYONE does".  Well flip that.  Just because YOU ALL feel the way you do doesn't mean every wedding guest feels the same.
    You could always write "treat yourself to a nice dinner on your honeymoon" on the check line or in your card.  Or you could actually purchase something for the couple for their honeymoon (plane tickets, hotel rooms, massage gift cards, wine bottles to their room, etc) without the use of a honeymoon registry.  My family has been doing this for years, well before "honeymoon" (I use quotes since unlike actually giving gifts towards a honeymoon, you are just getting cash) registries were a thing.  

This. The largest portion of our honeymoon was a gift. Friends bought our plane tickets using their miles and MIL made our hotel reservations. It was wonderful and we never asked for it.
  • Options

I understand the OP is paying all the fees for the money that people send via her honeyfund thing. But what I don't get is why you would want to pay money to get money that if you didn't have the honeyfund thing you would still get the money but not have to pay anything. yes I am sure that didn't make any sense.

Lets say you invited 100 families to your wedding. And each family gives you $100. That would make the total amount of those gifts $10,000. She said the fee is 3% which would make it $300. So in essence you are paying $300 to get $10K or a net of $9,700. Which the checks from the honeyfund thing can be sent to you up to a month after your wedding. Which for the most part is after anyone takes their honeymoon.

Maybe I am just cheap but there is no way I would pay 1 red cent to get a gift of money when I just need to wait a couple weeks.

*Formerly ctexasgurl26 and mrsridings061513*

imageimageimage

Anniversary
    Baby William born June 11, 2014 Weighing 6 lbs 5 oz and 17.5 inches long

• Options

I understand the OP is paying all the fees for the money that people send via her honeyfund thing. But what I don't get is why you would want to pay money to get money that if you didn't have the honeyfund thing you would still get the money but not have to pay anything. yes I am sure that didn't make any sense.

Stuck in box...but I think this makes perfect sense.

• Options
    The horses are out and you're trying to shut the paddock. Just shut it down and people will give you cash. People have been doing this before the internet.
  • Options
    eljayeeljaye member
    5 Love Its Name Dropper First Comment
    I could be wrong but didn't the OP say she had a traditional registry as well?  So the guests have options, they are not being bludgeoned to participate in this.  I just really feel, whether it's "asking for cash" or not, that any couple has the right to choose what makes them happy as far as a registry goes. 

Also, FWIW, I am not the OP nor do I know her.  I just feel like everyone is pretty harsh, and no one else seems to think a honeymoon registry is at all OK - I know I can't be THE ONLY ONE.  It also appears that the whole thing was blown way out of proportion from the get-go.  Telling someone to cancel something they've already put into place simply is not helpful.  And now that I've taken the opposite side, I'm like a dog with a bone. :)

I can honestly say that I've attended two weddings where the couple did a honeymoon registry and I didn't even think twice about it.  I had no idea that the issue was even one of debate.  I just looked at it as a different approach to an "everyone does it this way" registry.  But then I'm also a fan of the more non-traditional methods anyway.
    As for the 3%, perhaps the couple feels it's an appropriate "fee" for the convenience of consolidating everyone's cash gifts into one lump sum.  Who knows - I could care less what Miss Manners or Emily Post or any of those people say... I still stand by my opinion (and yes, it's just that - an opinion) that the couple has the right to register for what they want, and if any of the guests feel that it's rude then who cares, they don't have to participate.  A wedding is not about the guests - sorry but it's true - it's about the couple getting married.  It's not my place to judge their choices, and I'm free to gift however and whatever I see fit.

• Options
    @JCBRide2015 you beat me to it!  I was gonna call bingo but I was on a conference call... damn work getting int the way of my knotting....
    My reaction to most everything on the internet today:
  • Options
    @ladymanuet I've been seeing people calling bingo lately...what's the requirements/"phrases" needed "to win"? (obviously i see the "it my/the B+G's day!" is one...lol!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    @casey8784 oh any of the phrases speshul snowflakes use to "defend" their abhorrent behavior.. if you do a thread search for bingo Cards you'll see one of our regulars actually made some =D
  • Options
    MGPMGP member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited June 2014
    FWIW, here is a short story about the last honeymoon registry I contributed to.  This couple was going to Hawaii.  One of the things on the HR was a volcano hike - this is what I chose to buy for them.  About a month after they returned from their trip, I received a thank you card from the bride and groom with a picture of them at the top of the volcano.  I thought it was really cute and thoughtful, and it let me know that they did actually use the money for what I had intended.
    Here is a short story about the last honeymoon registry I contributed to: I purchased a "beach dinner" off the honeymoon registry for my BFF's brother and wife. I say wife because the week of the wedding my BFF told me in confidence that they were married several months earlier for immigration reasons. At that point I didn't even know how to go about getting the gift refunded so I just let it go. 

Fast forward to the wedding - they had a cash bar. Everyone including myself was PISSED and had no cash. The guys at my table snuck in a case of canned beer and literally drank under the table. 

Fast forward several months after the wedding - I found out they had another PPD in her home country. But wait there's more! THEY DIDNT GO ON THEIR HONEYMOON because they ran out of money paying for their dual PPD's so put the money towards that. I was livid at that point. Needless to say I hate these people and avoid them at all costs. 

Honeymoon registries suck donkey balls. Just don't do it.

Side note - my autocorrect changed "honeymoon" to "moneymoon". Ha!
  • Options
    The first time I ever saw a honeymoon registry I didn't know about the fees, or the cash thing.  I bought my friend and her new hubby a sushi dinner in Hawaii.  I thought.  When I found out later (by reading these threads) that I didn't actually buy them that and that they didn't get the full amount I gave, I was incredibly unhappy.  Had I known that I would have just given them a check or a gift certificate directly to that restaurant. 
  • Options
    @MGP and @ladyamanuet I have a similar story!  My first run-in with Honeyfund was a couple years after college when a friend/coworker got married.  Her BMs threw a "honeymoon themed" shower with, yep, just a Honeyfund registry.  I purchased a "volcano hike" for their honeymoon, slightly more than I might have normally spent-- but I thought the idea was really cool.  I was thrilled to print the voucher and put it in the card, thinking she actually would use the credit for a volcano hike.

At the shower, it quickly became very awkward watching Bride open a stack of envelopes.  She actually stopped saying what each voucher was for, just "Friend contributed to our honeymoon!  Thank you!"  Over and over again.  So that rubbed me the wrong way.... why wouldn't she say it was for a volcano outing? I thought.  And opening the envelopes was just grating and weird.

The wedding (I gave a check) and HM came and went.  Later Bride said to me at work, "Our honeyfund was so great!  We had already paid for the HM so we just got a big check from the website.  We used it towards the down payment on our condo."

I was really hurt.  I thought I was giving her a specific gift, and instead they just took the money and used it for whatever.  Now, if she had not had the Honeyfund, I would have just given her a boxed gift at the shower and a check at the wedding anyway.  She would have still gotten money.  But I would have known that money was for her to do whatever with.  Instead I felt lied to and misled.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

"I'm not a rude bitch.  I'm ten rude bitches in a large coat."

• Options
    MGPMGP member
    edited June 2014
    I was really hurt.  I thought I was giving her a specific gift, and instead they just took the money and used it for whatever.  Now, if she had not had the Honeyfund, I would have just given her a boxed gift at the shower and a check at the wedding anyway.  She would have still gotten money.  But I would have known that money was for her to do whatever with.  Instead I felt lied to and misled.

Exactly! Honeymoon registries are a disgusting bait and switch. You and I obviously did not want to fund a down payment or a PPD but that's what happened. If we buy volcano hikes or beach dinners they damn well hike up that volcano or sit on the beach and eat! I am not saying it's OK, but at least it's honest follow through.

I also bet money you are no longer friends with this person. 
  • Options
    MGP said:

Exactly! Honeymoon registries are a disgusting bait and switch. You and I obviously did not want to fund a down payment or a PPD but that's what happened. If we buy volcano hikes or beach dinners they damn well hike up that volcano or sit on the beach and eat! I am not saying it's OK, but at least it's honest follow through.

See, I would not mind one little bit if I gave them a check and she said they used it for a down payment.  Awesome!  I just felt mislead about it.  Regardless that they used the money for something responsible in the end.

We are still friends but things have cooled off.  Bride is a bit flaky.  The HM fund was sort of a symptom of the problem, not the root, you know?
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

"I'm not a rude bitch.  I'm ten rude bitches in a large coat."

• Options
    MGPMGP member
    MGP said:

See, I would not mind one little bit if I gave them a check and she said they used it for a down payment.  Awesome!  I just felt mislead about it.  Regardless that they used the money for something responsible in the end.

We are still friends but things have cooled off.  Bride is a bit flaky.  The HM fund was sort of a symptom of the problem, not the root, you know?

Totally agree. It's the deceit that is the problem. You are lucky they used it for something responsible. I am still seething after 8 years that $7 went to Honeyfund and $93 went to fund a cash bar PPD. Hopefully I will get over it before the decade mark hits. :)
  • Options
    aurianna said:

I don't understand how people don't understand that bait & switching their guests is so disrespectful.
    Truth.

Lying ain't cute.
    Anniversary

• Options
    MGP said:
    Here is a short story about the last honeymoon registry I contributed to: I purchased a "beach dinner" off the honeymoon registry for my BFF's brother and wife. I say wife because the week of the wedding my BFF told me in confidence that they were married several months earlier for immigration reasons. At that point I didn't even know how to go about getting the gift refunded so I just let it go. 

Fast forward to the wedding - they had a cash bar. Everyone including myself was PISSED and had no cash. The guys at my table snuck in a case of canned beer and literally drank under the table. 

Fast forward several months after the wedding - I found out they had another PPD in her home country. But wait there's more! THEY DIDNT GO ON THEIR HONEYMOON because they ran out of money paying for their dual PPD's so put the money towards that. I was livid at that point. Needless to say I hate these people and avoid them at all costs. 

Honeymoon registries suck donkey balls. Just don't do it.

Side note - my autocorrect changed "honeymoon" to "moneymoon". Ha!
    You have a very wise autocorrect. I'd keep an eye on it. 
    I like it. "Moneymoon registries."
  • Options
    MGPMGP member

But I wish I hadn't done it. I felt huge amounts of guilt about doing the things that people had paid for. I was too busy making sure we did all of those things, that I rushed us around and didn't take as much time to RELAX on our honeymoon.

You know I have always thought that when I have perused honeymoon registries.  Like "wow that's a LOT of activities for a vacation, not to mention a honeymoon".  But good for you for actually following through.
  • Options
    auriannaaurianna member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    edited June 2014

For what it's worth, I did a honeymoon registry. 

I regret it.

But I wish I hadn't done it. I felt huge amounts of guilt about doing the things that people had paid for. I was too busy making sure we did all of those things, that I rushed us around and didn't take as much time to RELAX on our honeymoon. 

Definite respect for attempting to keep true to what your guests thought they were giving you, especially when the wedding industry / registry people make it so easy to not by just giving the check.
    Thanks for having the courage to share this tidbit here!

...heh... though, I think a person who's already stated that their honeymoon is already paid off and they are only doing this so they'll be sure they get money and not a crappy toaster isn't going to have the same guilt about trying to do the things that were listed on the registry like you did.
  • Options
    I set up a honeymoon registry and then realized that we just got money (I guess I thought I could actually link it to certain companies that offered activities- like an actual company that offers scuba lessons). Then I realized we had to pay for it, either a large amount up front or a certain amount on the dollar. And I found it annoying. So, I took it down. I set up a small registry on amazon.com, but hopefully people get the hint that we want cash because we didn't pick a lot of stuff. I never saw it as selfish or money grubbing when I was considering the honeymoon fund. I know most people on here think it is, but I don't think it's that big of a deal. I can see that it can be kinda deceptive if you register for a swim with the dolphins, but use the money to pay your cell phone bill. I didn't want to run into that situation where Aunt So and So asks how horseback riding was and I either have to lie or tell her that we didn't do it. So I just had one open fund for the honeymoon, that was just labeled "Honeymoon". But like I said, I took it down because I didn't want to pay to get my money. However, what I have done is add items to our registry that we can use on our honeymoon and actually will use on our honeymoon. We are going to Asheville, NC and on a little road trip in the mountains of NC, VA, and TN, so I registered for gift cards to the Biltmore Estate. And a gas card since we will be doing a lot of driving. And to a restaurant we want to go to that offers online giftcards. Things like that. We have a honeymoon section of the registry (along with the usual household items). So, if someone wants to buy us a gift from our registry and sees that we are focusing on our honeymoon, they can choose to buy us tickets to the Biltmore. Or buy us some plates. Or give cash. Or nothing at all. Their choice. But, the things we registered for will actually be used on those experiences, which made me feel better about it. Since you already set up your fund and people have started contributing to it, it would be weird to take it down. But consider that it might make some people uncomfortable. Even if you don't NEED things, maybe find some stuff that you'd like to have (doesn't have to be household stuff! My sister registered at REI for all camping and outdoor stuff, including clothing and hiking boots). This may make people feel more comfortable if they are traditional and would like to give you a physical gift. That's my suggestion. Also, I turned down any offers for showers because I hated the idea that I would invite someone to a party where they were expected to bring a gift. That is such a weird idea to me and made me so uncomfortable.
  • Options

OP - why are you even here?  You've obviously, and stated repeatedly that you have, in fact, made up your mind to do this.  So, again, what do you want?

What you have here is a load of crap.  It stinks.  It's offensive.  You've apparently already taken care of your other crap, but for the sake of having some crap you want this particular box of fecal matter as a token gesture.  Of course it stinks,  I don't care how much wrapping paper and pretty ribbons you want to dress it up with, this whole idea stinks.  And to call it a mini-shower instead of a shower?  That somehow makes it better?

You aren't entitled to have a shower.  People aren't required to give you anything.  To blatantly ask for money is tacky, there is no way around that.  EVERYONE here has tried to tell you in the nicest way possible that this is a serious breach of etiquette.  You came to an etiquette board to ask about a matter of etiquette.  You've been given sound advice.  Please listen.

Wedding Countdown Ticker

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards