Chit Chat

How long does it take for a toenail to grow back?

Sadly, I lost a toenail last night. My wedding peep toes will now be peep no toenail. Do you think 3 months is enough time for it to grow back? Also, in related news they make Lee Press On Toenails! I had no idea. So that's an option, at least. 

Re: How long does it take for a toenail to grow back?

• I don't know how long it will take to grow back, but I wanted to throw out another option. 

I ripped half a toenail off once and just happened to be going to get a pedi. The lady "fixed" it with this stuff. It was a powder and then she dipped it in some kind of liquid to make a gel. Then she "painted" it on my toe. You couldn't even tell that it wasn't my real toenail and it grew with my toenail.

Having said that, I have no idea what it's called because I might get a mani/pedi once every two years or something like that. Maybe someone else will be able to shed some light on what that is.
  • I don't know how long it will take to grow back, but I wanted to throw out another option. 

I ripped half a toenail off once and just happened to be going to get a pedi. The lady "fixed" it with this stuff. It was a powder and then she dipped it in some kind of liquid to make a gel. Then she "painted" it on my toe. You couldn't even tell that it wasn't my real toenail and it grew with my toenail.

Having said that, I have no idea what it's called because I might get a mani/pedi once every two years or something like that. Maybe someone else will be able to shed some light on what that is.
    Good to know! I'm going to stop by my nail salon to see what they can do for me. 
  • Did it just get ripped too short or did it come all the way off? No idea on timelines but the latter seems like it will take much longer.

Everyone is different but I'd expect an overly short nail to grow back within a couple of weeks, maybe less.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • I'm sure a nail salon could help! Ouch.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

• I actually ripped off my big toenail completely several years ago. I had to into surgery to make sure it wouldn't get infected or anything. I think it took 5 months to grow all the way back. Now part of my toenail has a yellowish tint, but its not too bad looking. Hopefully yours won't take as long!
  • Did it just get ripped too short or did it come all the way off? No idea on timelines but the latter seems like it will take much longer. Everyone is different but I'd expect an overly short nail to grow back within a couple of weeks, maybe less.
    It came all the way off. I originally hurt it when I was skiing in January. There is a very tiny nail that had started to grow underneath it. 
    I actually ripped off my big toenail completely several years ago. I had to into surgery to make sure it wouldn't get infected or anything. I think it took 5 months to grow all the way back. Now part of my toenail has a yellowish tint, but its not too bad looking. Hopefully yours won't take as long!
    OUCH!
  • Obviously it depends, but about six months for one that's completely gone. If your dress is long, I wouldn't worry about it too much. Even if it's not, people aren't going to be examining your toes. Unless you have some weird friends...
  • emmyg65 said:
    Obviously it depends, but about six months for one that's completely gone. If your dress is long, I wouldn't worry about it too much. Even if it's not, people aren't going to be examining your toes. Unless you have some weird friends...
    I do have weird friends! But you are right. 

• Did it just get ripped too short or did it come all the way off? No idea on timelines but the latter seems like it will take much longer.

Everyone is different but I'd expect an overly short nail to grow back within a couple of weeks, maybe less.

It came all the way off. I originally hurt it when I was skiing in January. There is a very tiny nail that had started to grow underneath it. 

I actually ripped off my big toenail completely several years ago. I had to into surgery to make sure it wouldn't get infected or anything. I think it took 5 months to grow all the way back. Now part of my toenail has a yellowish tint, but its not too bad looking. Hopefully yours won't take as long!

OUCH!

Oh yeah it hurt so much! I accidentally ran into a chair and that ripped it off almost completely. The surgeon had to remove it.
  • I banged one up a couple  of summers ago.  I got a huge bruise a couple of months later, since the damage was below the base of the nail.  I realized it was cut too a few months later and final lost that nail  when the cut was about 3/4 of the way grown out.  It took a full year to grow out the whole bruise/cut part.  But as I said, it also had started lower than the base of the nail, so took a bit longer to grow out.  It was the big toe too.  

• I banged one up a couple  of summers ago.  I got a huge bruise a couple of months later, since the damage was below the base of the nail.  I realized it was cut too a few months later and final lost that nail  when the cut was about 3/4 of the way grown out.  It took a full year to grow out the whole bruise/cut part.  But as I said, it also had started lower than the base of the nail, so took a bit longer to grow out.  It was the big toe too.  
    That's similar to what happened to mine. It's my big toe and it was bruised and gross for the last 5 months. 
  • I had to have a toenail completely removed. I'd say it took about 6 months for it to grow in fully. But by about 3 months, there was a "little nail" that I could paint and nobody even noticed unless I pointed it out. By your wedding, I would think that there would be enough of a nail that they could do what pp said. It sounded like they used the same formula for what they use when you do "tips" or acrylics on your fingernails...which is essentially to make your nails look longer.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • My big toenail fell off a few summers ago. Going to a salsa club, drinking too much, wearing open toe stilettos, and dancing all night is a recipe for disaster. I couldn't wear flip flops or any cute shoes the whole summer. I would say about 3-6 months for it to  grow back, and a few more months to go completely back to normal. I also did not go to a doctor or anything, just bandaged it up for a bit, disinfected it, and prayed that it would grow back to normal lol. 
                                 Anniversary
    imageimageimage

• Someone slammed my finger in a door several years ago.  The nail was traumatized and the Orthopedic surgeon I saw (my finger was also broken and lacerated) told me I would lose the nail.  When I made a comment that it was fine it would grow back he told me it most likely wouldn't.  I got lucky and didn't lose the nail but depending on what happened there is the possibility it won't come back.  
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Not sure if it will help it grow faster. But I have heard that pre-natal vitamins can help your nails and hair grow in stronger. Maybe figure out which vitamin helps with the nail growing and start taking as much as you are allowed to daily.
  • Which toenail is it? I ripped my big toenail off most of the way, had to go to ER and have them remove it completely. It took about 8 months to fully grow back. A few months ago I ripped off my middle toenail, it took two months maybe to grow back.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Not sure if it will help it grow faster. But I have heard that pre-natal vitamins can help your nails and hair grow in stronger. Maybe figure out which vitamin helps with the nail growing and start taking as much as you are allowed to daily.
    Good idea!!

behsco90 said:
    Which toenail is it? I ripped my big toenail off most of the way, had to go to ER and have them remove it completely. It took about 8 months to fully grow back. A few months ago I ripped off my middle toenail, it took two months maybe to grow back.
    It's my big toe. A new nail has started growing already though. It's little, but it's there!
    Good idea!!

behsco90 said:
    Which toenail is it? I ripped my big toenail off most of the way, had to go to ER and have them remove it completely. It took about 8 months to fully grow back. A few months ago I ripped off my middle toenail, it took two months maybe to grow back.
    It's my big toe. A new nail has started growing already though. It's little, but it's there!
    Biotin! It is awesome for nails and hair.
                                 Anniversary
    imageimageimage

• pinkcow13 said:
    Not sure if it will help it grow faster. But I have heard that pre-natal vitamins can help your nails and hair grow in stronger. Maybe figure out which vitamin helps with the nail growing and start taking as much as you are allowed to daily.
    Good idea!!

behsco90 said:
    Yes, biotin works great, however it CAN make some people break out (I did) so just keep that in mind if you decide to take it.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • slothiegalslothiegal member
    First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited June 2014
    I don't know how long it will take to grow back, but I wanted to throw out another option. 

Oooh that's so good to know...I did a half marathon a couple weeks ago and two of my toenails just came right off my already not-well-taken-care-of feet.  My lovely FSILs got me a gift certificate to get a pedicure and I was worried that I wouldn't be able to use it because of my troll feet.  Good to know there's an option!
    Anniversary

• d2vad2va member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary First Comment Name Dropper
    I don't know how long it will take to grow back, but I wanted to throw out another option. 

Good to know! I'm going to stop by my nail salon to see what they can do for me. 
    Im not sure if any of the other PPS already mentioned it, but its called acrylic. Then can lay it over your skin (temporarily) or if you still have a little piece of nail left they can put a tip on it which you could actually wear until your real nail grows back.
  • behsco90 said:
    pinkcow13 said:
    Not sure if it will help it grow faster. But I have heard that pre-natal vitamins can help your nails and hair grow in stronger. Maybe figure out which vitamin helps with the nail growing and start taking as much as you are allowed to daily.
    Good idea!!

behsco90 said:
    Yes, biotin works great, however it CAN make some people break out (I did) so just keep that in mind if you decide to take it.
    Another vote for Biotin.  I took it in high school for my hair but it also made my nails so nice.
  • edited June 2014
    Another vote for biotin. My fingernails were badly damage, splitting and peeling and wouldn't grow past the nail beds. Toenails were dry and discolored from nail enamel. I started taking *5000mcg of biotin daily about four months ago. My nails are in perfect condition, now.

eta - corrected  mcg, not mg

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards