Chit Chat

World Cup?

Anyone else excited for the start of the World Cup next week!?

My fiance is Portuguese so I started following them some years ago, but now USA and Portugal are in the same group! This cannot end well for my house....

Re: World Cup?

• I'm excited! Last World Cup, I had the summer off from work, and I got to watch so many games! I don't have the same luxury this time around, but I do have 3 monitors at work. I suppose one could be for World Cup matches...
  • FI is superfuckingDUPER excited and I do not give a flying, land-based, or maritime fuck. I told him I'm going to get a vuvuzela for whenever he needs to take it down a notch.
    --

I'm the fuck
    out.

• @AshleyNicole1218 - not so much for the World Cup - fútbol isn't my thing - but I feel you. FI and I were on opposite ends of the Thunder vs Spurs for the Western Conference finals. Still, we're ok as long as we're not on opposite sides of the fence when the Sooners are playing...football is big here in OK. ;)

Wedding Countdown Ticker

• So excited for the World Cup! We're watching pre game coverage for the last friendly now. The last World Cup one of my co workers and I made an Art form out of getting our lunch breaks to coordinate with the last part of really competitive games. We would basically run to this bar across the street and really enjoyed ourselves. He doesn't work with me anymore so I'm trying to see if I can convert anyone else.
  • We actually just got back from the USA vs Nigera game in Jax...I have no idea if this relates to the World Cup games or not, but it was ton of fun to go to! I'm going to start watching the World Cup games because not only is my DH obsessed, but now I'm also wanting to see what happens. (Although I'm still a newbie to this soccer/football thing) :)
    Anniversary
  • beethery said:
    FI is superfuckingDUPER excited and I do not give a flying, land-based, or maritime fuck. I told him I'm going to get a vuvuzela for whenever he needs to take it down a notch.
    As TK's resident Saffa, I approve of this post!

@AshleyNicole1218 There are zero fucks given in this house WRT the World Cup. I can get behind our cricket team, I can even sort of get behind our rugby team, but our soccer team is a bunch of schmucks. Also, we just really don't care about soccer, and we may be slightly bitter because of the aftermath of 2010.
    imageDaisypath Friendship tickers
  • Because of the socio economic issues with the World Cup and Brazil, we aren't watching because we don't support extravagant spending in the face of terrible poverty. For the same reasons, we didn't watch the Olympics in Sochi much either.
  • I don't really care, but one of my staff members is going and is freakin' over the moon excited. I've never met a bigger soccer nut - ever - so I'm glad he was able to score tickets and get's the experience.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • KaurisKauris member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    FI is from Spain, they won the last WC, so he is very excited. I don't think that the US will get out of the group of death; there is no way they can beat Portugal or Germany. That being said, if they did, I would be super excited. FI and I usually take off afternoons to watch when it gets closer to the finals.
  • I'm excited to hear some of you are soccer fans! I don't think you have to be a soccer during the WC, since it's pretty easy to get caught up in the excitement of it all!

@kasmith1‌ Agreed about the US, that group is brutal. FI and I already have a few days off for the games!

@redhead510‌ You must have seen one of the friendly games! We're going to Portugal v Ireland on Tues! The atmosphere at soccer games is so lively and entertaining. Glad to hear you want to watch!

@Simky906‌ Only a few more days! I definitely tune into the scores online when I can't get outta work. FI takes about 10 days off just for games alone!

@kat1114‌ A monitor dedicated to the games is a must! Maybe you can be 'sick' for a day when the finals come around!

I wasn't big into soccer until I went to a game. I was hooked ever since. Even the bars in NYC get insane...there's so much electricity, you can't help but get caught up.
  • Alright...I have to admit....wasn't at all excited about the World Cup until it started.  I changed my mind!  :D  Already disappointed that I'm going to miss the last few days of the group matches and the first two days of the Round of 16.  Will have to catch up on the standings as soon as I get home!

Wedding Countdown Ticker

• Isn't tomorrow the day Italy's scheduled to beat England all over the field? 
    Forza Azzurri! 
    If they win, I call my ex in London just to say haha. Then, cannoli for everyone!

If they lose, eh. They still have the best looking hair. 
  • @ohannabelle - Pretty sure it is! 

Wedding Countdown Ticker

• KaurisKauris member
    I was watching at work, FI took the day off, I was scared to come home after the horrible loss that Spain had today. I didn't know what I was going to come home to... angry, sad.
  • We have a giant tv at work, so I watched Spain lose. Since I gave up cable the only games I can watch at home are the ones on ABC. I am bummed Portugal and USA are in the same group since those are the two countries I root for (grandma is from the Azores).
  • Sorry @kasmith1‌. Dealing with the aftermath of a loss sucks.

@arrippa‌ Same with our house! Fi is Portuguese (born there) and I only follow them and the Man U club team. I know nothing about the US team at all. We were really not happy about US and Portugal being in the same group too. Hoping at least Portugal makes it out of the group. We took off for the US v Germany game tomorrow. Forca!
  • USA V GER isn't until the 26th....but GER V POR is tomorrow and will be a great match!

Wedding Countdown Ticker

• KaurisKauris member
    Germany put foot to ass, sorry @AshleyNicole1218, I hope your FI takes this loss as well as mine did. He was upset but not too bad. He made the point that 4 years ago when Spain won the cup, they lost their first game too. I hope to watch the USA game this evening, leaving work early!
  • Me! USA! USA! USA! I was in attendance last year for Dos A Cero :-D Excited to see how we do tonight.
    :kiss: ~xoxo~ :kiss:

• SBminiSBmini member
    5 Love Its First Comment First Anniversary Name Dropper
    I'm enjoying it more than I thought I would. I'm not a big soccer fan. But I'm on twitter all day and the games keep getting spoiled!
  • Ugh! Not one of today's matches is on abc!!! And I don't have ESPN at home! Tempted to go borrow my dad's TV tonight since stepmom has the bratty baby sibs with her at church camp!

Wedding Countdown Ticker

• OMG  30 seconds in and we just scored!!!!!
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
    eyeroll
  • I came here to comment that FI turned the TV on and it was playing in Spanish, so he was watching in in Spanish even though neither of us speak it. But then we scored and GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOAL!
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
    eyeroll
  • @mrsmorales2be‌ oops! I meant Portugal v Germany. Which as we all know did not end up so well. :(:/
  • kasmith1 said:

Germany put foot to ass, sorry @AshleyNicole1218, I hope your FI takes this loss as well as mine did. He was upset but not too bad. He made the point that 4 years ago when Spain won the cup, they lost their first game too.

I hope to watch the USA game this evening, leaving work early!

Ugh it was sooo brutal. Tail between legs. More games to go tho!
  • Inkdancer said:

I came here to comment that FI turned the TV on and it was playing in Spanish, so he was watching in in Spanish even though neither of us speak it. But then we scored and GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOAL!

Haha I love when the the announcers scream "gooooooaaaaal"! Go USA!
  • I've been keeping up with it through news stories and Twitter. We don't have a TV and no internet. But my boss has been letting it play at work so I've seen bits and pieces of it. 
  • My husband tells me he rather watch the games on UNIVISION because the commentators are more enthusiastic about the game. Mind you, my husband speak very very very little Spanish. 

By the way, go USA!!!

ETA: spelling
    Thanks for the Univision tip. I gave up cable last week so I don't have ESPN and I was a little sad. I do have Univsion so I can watch the game.
  • Because of the socio economic issues with the World Cup and Brazil, we aren't watching because we don't support extravagant spending in the face of terrible poverty. For the same reasons, we didn't watch the Olympics in Sochi much either.
    I explained what's going on to FI, he had no idea and almost didn't believe me because he doesn't know about the situation down there AT ALL, especially preceding the games.
    --

I'm the fuck
    out.

• OMG - Mexico v Brazil was AWESOME! I was so looking forward to this match! Loved seeing the awesome sportsmanship from two exceptional teams, too!

Wedding Countdown Ticker

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards