Getting in Shape

My cats laugh at me...

when I attempt to work out to a video/dvd. I seem to have zero coordination and can't mimic what they are doing. It's not that I'm worried that I can't bend or stretch to the extent they can, I know that will come with more exercise. I just can't seem to make my body mirror theirs. I'm mostly pretty good at walking. Ok, fine. I trip occasionally.

Anyone have any tips?
*msstaticfancypants*
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: My cats laugh at me...

• the more you do the same workout the better you will get. Your muscle memory will kick in, and you will ancticipate the next moves.
  • Just keep at it and try not to let yourself become discouraged. It takes a while to see results but if you continue to stick to your work out plan and eat very healthy you should see results in about a month. Don't mind your cats. :)

• My dog thinks it's play time! He will jump when I jump, and when I squat, he comes up to me whenever I get low and I scratch his ears. It's hilarious.

As for getting better at workout DVDs, oh my god do I hear you. I have a "cardio-pilates" DVD that involves some very simple choreographed sequences. The first time I did it I swore "NEVER AGAIN" because I am SO, so terrible at picking up even the simplest dance moves. (Zumba is my nightmare). But...I kept at it, and the second time was easier. The third time easier still. I set it aside for a while and when I came back a few months later? I hadn't forgotten everything! There's actually a moment in the recording when the instructor cues you wrong (but the backup "dancers" do the right thing so you know what to do if you pay attention) and I even remembered that! So take heart. As @taylorann0626 says, muscle memory will kick in. It's a real thing. And if you do this particular DVD a few more times and still hate it, by all means do another one! Not everything is necessarily a good fit, so if it doesn't feel like you're catching on, it isn't necessarily you.

Good luck!
    This baby knows exactly how I feel
  • So I've been to step class twice and last night I streamed a Jillian Michaels workout from Amazon.

I haven't fallen down in the step class (woo-hoo!) and I was actually able to mostly keep up to JM. 

I wouldn't say that I'm all that coordinated yet but it's improving!

P.S. Jillian Michaels is downright mean and rude. I will do it again but I might mute her.
    *msstaticfancypants*
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • So I've been to step class twice and last night I streamed a Jillian Michaels workout from Amazon.

I haven't fallen down in the step class (woo-hoo!) and I was actually able to mostly keep up to JM. 

I wouldn't say that I'm all that coordinated yet but it's improving!

P.S. Jillian Michaels is downright mean and rude. I will do it again but I might mute her.
    Ha, see, I love that she's tough. Sometimes it's motivating because I've always excelled when "coached," but other times I become furious at her and channel my rage through the exercises. It's all: *Squat* I hate you! *Squat* Shut up! *Squat* GAHHH!
  • I may or may not have flipped her off while I was squatting here and squatting there and squatting everywhere! 

I did this workout last Thursday, Saturday I was still sore. Sunday I felt great and thought I could do it again but I spent the whole day outside planting my flowers and garden. According to my Fitbit I walked over 6 miles. I decided that that was probably ok and that I didn't have to exercise later. Today my ass muscles hurts again.

I just can't win.
    *msstaticfancypants*
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I may or may not have flipped her off while I was squatting here and squatting there and squatting everywhere! 

I did this workout last Thursday, Saturday I was still sore. Sunday I felt great and thought I could do it again but I spent the whole day outside planting my flowers and garden. According to my Fitbit I walked over 6 miles. I decided that that was probably ok and that I didn't have to exercise later. Today my ass muscles hurts again.

I just can't win.
    You ARE winning, though! Soreness is okay, as long as it's not so severe that you can't move. (Good on you for gardening--that shit IS exercise!). Just think how toned that sore ass is gonna be in a few months...;)
  • Lol...We'll be able to bounce quarters off that ass if I keep this up!
    *msstaticfancypants*
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I work at home and I'm basically a very sedentary person (health issues this past year haven't helped) but I've been doing workouts from Leslie Sansone ' s Walk Away the Pounds series. It's not p90x, but I figured I had to start somewhere!
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • I don't usually come on this board, but your title makes me laugh!  Thank you!
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards