Michigan-Detroit

Venue help - Please?!?!

I am trying to find a low cost venue (under $3000) that allows my own caterer (unless theirs is reasonably priced).
Biggest problem is I do not want banquet hall feel (boxed in 4 walls, ugly carpet).
Looking around Macomb or Oakland County (willing to drive up to 45 minutes from St. Clair Shores area)
want something unique or that has windows.

Re: Venue help - Please?!?!

• I don't have any answers to this question, but I am in the exact same boat. I just recently got engaged and moved to my fiance in Oakland County. We are looking for a venue within 45 mins of here! :) Definitely don't want a banquet hall feel with ugly carpets either.
  • We'll I have done a ton of research so might be able to help you. What is your budget, and what type of look are you going for?
  • @kelrs23 - Would you mind being more specific about your budget? What do you consider "reasonably priced" per head for the food/drink? For example, there is the Waterview Loft (no outside catering though), which is absolutely gorgeous with tons of windows ... but I doubt it fits your idea of reasonably priced. Also, are you looking for an evening wedding,or would you be willing to do lunch/morning reception instead? What time of year are you planning to get hitched?  I looked at about 15 venues in the area, and researched sooooo many more, before deciding on the Gem & Century Theatre (definitely unique!), so I hope I can help with a few more details! :D
  • *elle.*elle. member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment Name Dropper
    @rmkuffel‌ I went to a wedding at the Gem and it was fantastic! We just had our wedding on Saturday next door at the DAC :)
  • @*elle.- That's great to hear!! Have any pictures of the ceremony? I'm still planning my decor ;) And how was the DAC? I'm sure it was fantastic if you had your wedding there! :D
  • We are using Rochester Community House. Its on paint creek in a nice park and the building has a lot of windows and a deck overlooking the creek. Definitely not a hall type feeling. Its $20 a person to rent the place, it includes all tables, chairs, linens, napkins, place settings, and set up/take down. They allow outside catering and alcohol and have a nice kitchen and bar. They also have an outdoor gazebo that you can rent for $200 to have your ceremony at if you wish.

• *elle.*elle. member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment Name Dropper
    edited May 2014
    @rmkuffel‌ I don't have any pictures from the wedding I went to at the Gem...sorry!

And the DAC was incredible...perfect in every way!
  • rmkuffel - I am looking at Aug 2015 Saturday evening. Prefer to do ceremony at same place as reception. I say under $3000 venue fee because I want to be able to save on caterer - that is why I prefer to be able to bring in my own caterer.
    I had looked into Gem theater and they were too expensive. Packages were $80+ per person and they wanted $1500 venue fee.
    Waterview Loft is another I looked into and loved, but they do all inclusive packages which are around $30,000 for a Saturday.
    Another problem I am finding is some places I like do not have air conditioning and since are wedding will be in August air is a must.
    Just want something that is either, rustic, unique, lots of windows anything that doesn't look like a banquet hall. I am trying to do whole wedding between $15000 and $20000 so that is why I am having trouble.
    Thanks if you have some suggestions.
  • Have you found your caterer yet? I found that this was the best way to find venue ideas. Even if you're just contacting prospective caterers, ask them for a list of venues they've worked with in the past. Holiday Market gave me a 2 page list of options. Sometimes you can even find a list on their websites, but it tends to be smaller than the list you get when you ask.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I did get their list and have been trolling internet for vendor sites. Found them on photographer and dj sites too. Found some good ones but they haven't had air and it isa must for august wedding.
  • I can make a recommendation, but the max capacity is 100.

We got married at Greenmead Village in Livonia, it's at 8 Mile and Newburgh Rds, just east of I-275. It's a Livonia public park, with a darling small chapel and one of the homes has been turned into a banquet facility. Both have max capacities of 100. 

The rental for non-Livonia residents is about $1500 for both I think. You bring in your own food and alcohol, you get the liquor license from the City of Livonia offices. We used Holiday Market in Royal Oak for our catering, and bought our beer and wine at Champane's Wine Cellars in Warren (13 Mile between Mound & Van Dyke). Holiday Market's food is AMAZING. 

• I liked greenmead but had to rule it out because I have about 150 coming
  • Have you looked at the GP War Memorial? 
  • GP War Memorial was one of our top choices. Really nice!
  • GP War Memorial is not in budget.Looking for somewhere under $3000 that I can use my own caterer.
  • It's probably an hour from st.clair shores but I am having mine at the lake nepessing boat club in lapeer mi (where I live). They allow your own caterer and alcohol. It's right on the lake and you can even have your ceremony there at no extra charge under the pavilion outside.(that was a deal breaker for me)  good luck!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • How about Rochester Hills Museum at Van Hoosen Farm pricing seem reasonable and you can bring in your own food. If you go to the website you can go down and look at the wedding page.
  • I have a friend who had their reception at the Iroquois Club in Bloomfield Hills...it definitely has a rustic lodge type feel. Food and drinks were great...not sure what the pricing was. But might be a good place to check out.
  • We're getting married at King's Court Castle which has a unique feel to it and we love working with them so far!!  They don't allow outside catering BUT they have an "affordable elegance" package (at least when I booked them) that is $37 a person ($35 on Fridays) and includes cheese and fruit during the cocktail hour, buffet or plated dinners, 5 hour open bar, and no cake cutting fee.  Compared to other places we checked out, great atmosphere and service with by far the best prices.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards