May 2014 Weddings

The dress and what should I do with it?

Part of me wants to save it. Part of me wants to donate it. I would love to hang onto it and pass it down or in 20 years have it re made for myself for an anniversary. But there is an organization that takes wedding gowns and transforms them into "angel gowns" for babies that are born but sadly wont make it home. Its an amazing thing they do and how awesome it would be to give those babies something precious of there own. What are your thoughts on this?

Re: The dress and what should I do with it?

• I'm having the same internal struggle.  My dress is currently laying in its bag in the middle of our extra bedroom.  (H says it looks like a dead body lol)

Part of me wants to donate it to someone that could use it.  Part of me wants to hold on to it for a daughter down the road.  The other part of me wants to have it framed like they do a jersey.  I have no idea if that's even possible but that would be my favorite option lol

I hope the other ladies have some good ideas...
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • I had my dress cleaned and preserved right away while I figure out what I want to do. I originally had wanted to have it framed so I can hang it up in my dressing room, but I wanted to preserve it in the meantime while I check for places that do that.

I think if you can manage to part with it that donating to that charity would be awesome of you. I don't plan on having any daughters to pass my dress down to, but for some reason giving it away doesn't feel right for me.
  • I have seen gowns framed like that. Ive also seen it where the dress, veil, bouquet, garter, etc were also put in the frame
  • I am pretty torn on what to do. I also seen xmas ornaments where the dress was used to wrap around glass balls. Id love to do that but dont know how I could cut it. Im doing something similar with our extra invites, cutting them and putting into glass ornaments. The first pic is the one made from the gowm
  • vmj23vmj23 member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its First Answer
    I am not sure what to do with mine either, although will likely just have it cleaned, preserved and store it away.   Seems like such a waste!  Right now it's just hanging in a spare room, dirty bottom from walking on the wet pavement and grass and a red wine splatter.   I just saw a local photographer is advertising, looking for recently newlyweds that are willing to dressed back up in their wedding attired (they are providing hair and makeup) so she can take pics for her portofolio.  I soo want to do it, but there is no chance my husband (still weird to say that) would do it all again!
  • @dluberts - I love those ornaments. I just remembered that the seamstress gave me the extra fabric they cut off to hem my dress and I might use that to make a couple of those ornaments.
  • I thought it was a neat idea. I donthave any extra fabric but I love the ornament idea. I just have to bring myself to cutting my dress. I thought about having a quilt made also. Idk what to do!
  • Ditto.  Don't really know what to do, but know that I don't want to part with it (at least not just yet!!), although donating it is always an option.  Right now it's hanging in the bag off of the ladder to the roof in the hallway stairs lol.  I'm still trying to figure out where to go to get it cleaned & preserved - I'm a little hesitant to do the David's Bridal service, although the few reviews I've read have good things to say about it, mainly cuz I don't like the idea of boxing it up and sending it in the mail.  I'm gonna start to look at some of my local dry cleaners to see what they offer for it....unless you ladies can suggest a different type of place!  :)
    Anniversary

Created by MyFitnessPal - Free Weight Loss Tools

Follow Me on Pinterest
  • @artteacher23 - I used my normal dry cleaners that I always use. They were more expensive than David's Bridal, but I felt better leaving it with them and knowing that I would get back what I gave them :)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards