Chit Chat

Favorite vacation spots

Re: Favorite vacation spots

• @Simky906 going camping just the two of you the first couple times would be a great idea! I have zero idea how to start a fire and watching me put up a tent is laughable but that's why I have FI! I went through a phase where I was pretty anti-outdoors, despite loving it as a small child. When I started dating FI, he took me camping for the first time in like 8 years and I remembered all over again why I love it. You can hike, and swim, and cook dinner over the fire. And the s'mores!
  • @cookiepusher we stayed at the Aria and it was gooooooooorgeous. So modern and COOL, and we got a pretty good deal. $765 each for roundtrip airfare and a week in a pretty upscale hotel.
    --

I'm the fuck
    out.

• I love going to Disney, but I've only ever gone with my sister or friends. H has no desire to go. 

H & I always go someplace new for vacation, our favorite was the Cayo district in Belize. It is paradise. We've also been to Key West and loved it, though the weather in June is gross.

We went to Hawaii for our honeymoon and I thought it was just OK. I also work on a show about Hawaii so I am tired of looking at it haha. 
  • beethery said:
    @cookiepusher we stayed at the Aria and it was gooooooooorgeous. So modern and COOL, and we got a pretty good deal. $765 each for roundtrip airfare and a week in a pretty upscale hotel.
    Wow, that's a great deal! It's been nearly a decade since we went to Vegas (we spent hours roaming the Aladdin!), so I have no idea what any of the new properties are like. I mean, Wynn was still under construction back then! I think our total expenses for the week (airfare, hotel, food/beverage, shopping) were like $1500 back then. Crazy cheap because it was the off-season (mid-October). The next time we go, it would have to be spring because FI could NOT handle the summer heat and winter weather is just too unpredictable for me to guarantee my days off from work.
    ~*~*~*~*~

• Sorry guys I just do not understand camping and don't think I ever will. I like hiking and swimming as much as the next guy but then why can't I do that and go sleep in a glorious bed at night? I just don't see the allure of no showers, no electricity, blow up mattresses, bugs. And if you go to a campground that has showers and modern amenities why not just go to a damn hotel cuz you're not really camping? lol

• @CookiePusher I've only been to Disney World once, a couple years ago. I have mixed feelings about it.  We went the day after Christmas, which is apparently their busiest day of the year and they reached full capacity by 9am.  It was super crowded and we got pretty frustrated with all the people, which kind of ruined the day a bit.  But, FI proposed to me while there, so getting a sparkly ring made up for it a bit.

FI and I love to go camping and fishing at a very remote lake on Indian reservation in AZ.  It's quiet, secluded, and absolutely gorgeous.

I've been to Las Vegas many times, since it's in driving distance. I used to go every year, but haven't been in the last couple years. I love Vegas, but it does lose some of its thrill when you go too often.

Growing up, my family used to vacation every year or two in Cape May, NJ. It is a beautiful town and we all have some great memories there. All of the old Victorian houses there are actually what led me to becoming an Architect. We haven't been back in about 5 years, but I would love to take FI back there to experience it someday soon.

FI and I have also vacationed a couple times in Oceanside, CA.  One of our friends rents a beach house for a week every summer, and have invited us to join them a couple times. That's always a fun, relaxing trip.

• beethery said:
    @cookiepusher we stayed at the Aria and it was gooooooooorgeous. So modern and COOL, and we got a pretty good deal. $765 each for roundtrip airfare and a week in a pretty upscale hotel.
    Wow, that's a great deal! It's been nearly a decade since we went to Vegas (we spent hours roaming the Aladdin!), so I have no idea what any of the new properties are like. I mean, Wynn was still under construction back then! I think our total expenses for the week (airfare, hotel, food/beverage, shopping) were like $1500 back then. Crazy cheap because it was the off-season (mid-October). The next time we go, it would have to be spring because FI could NOT handle the summer heat and winter weather is just too unpredictable for me to guarantee my days off from work.
    We went right at the end of October last year and the weather was BEAUTIFUL every day. Couldn't get enough of how nice it was! When FI had gone before, they'd just broken ground on the Aria (he'd stayed at the MGM that time), so it was cool for him to see how much things had changed since then.
    --

I'm the fuck
    out.

• Random day off work + favorite vacation thread= Me looking up vacation information and planning future trips in my brain.
  • @cupcait927 I think that's the plan! He may also be a little scared of how into camping I am. I spent a lot of teenage/college years as a camp counselor and I have a particular fondess for canoeing/kayaking/rafting. I'd love to do a rafting/camping trip but I think we'll have to take baby steps.

@jenna8984 It's not for everybody, that's for sure. My brother and I loved camping and ou stepsister hates it. For me though, I love falling asleep staring up at the stars and waking up to the sound of crickets and a cool breeze blowing in off the lake. IDK, I really sleep better outside and wake up feeling so refreshed.
  • Simky906Simky906 member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary First Comment Name Dropper
    edited June 2014
    @jdluvr06 I know, there are at least 6 trips I want to take now based on this thread!
  • Maybe I am a bit biased, but I love the Dominican Republic. I have gone a few times with family, and with my FI and his family, or our friends. I just really love it out there, the food, the people, the beaches. Every time we go it is a blast. FI and I briefly considered having a destination wedding, and had we gone through with it, that is where it would have been. I also really love Miami, it is sooooo much fun.
                                 Anniversary
    imageimageimage

• Ugh.  Vacations in the last 15 or so years they have been mostly to visit family.  I'm so over it.  Actually I told DH that after my dad's party (this past weekend) and his sister's wedding in Sept I need a break from family trips.     I sick and tired of always having to go to them.  They all take awesome vacation, but never to us.   So fuck it.   

Good news is his family lives in Long Island and mine at the Delaware beaches.  So it's not horrible ways to spend your time.  We always hit up NYC for a few nights, then Philly to visit some friends, then hit up the beaches.  My parents house is awesome.  On a golf course, near the beach with a great backyard with a pool and other activities.  Again, not horrible ways to spend your time.

We use to live in the islands, so that was a vacation spot in itself.   Now we are up in the CO mountains, so again another vacation spot.     We can at least take advantage of short day or weekend trips.  Next Monday we are going white water rafting.  I hike a few days a week.  So not going "away" isn't too bad.       

Because DH and I are working most days between now and his sister's wedding we are going to go to Cabo in the fall when the club is closed.  That will be our first non-family vacation in a long time.

We like travel too much to pick on vacation spot to return to year after year.  I guess if I was still in DE/SE PA I would just go to my parent's beach house all the time.

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • nicoann said:

@CookiePusher I've only been to Disney World once, a couple years ago. I have mixed feelings about it.  We went the day after Christmas, which is apparently their busiest day of the year and they reached full capacity by 9am.  It was super crowded and we got pretty frustrated with all the people, which kind of ruined the day a bit.  But, FI proposed to me while there, so getting a sparkly ring made up for it a bit.

Yea, definitely don't go during touristy times! The last time FI and I went, it was over Memorial Day weekend a few years ago. It was crowded, but it wasn't crazy since a lot of northern states still had school. I've gone in February/March/April and had a blast. April can get crazy with kids on spring break, but at least the weather is really nice already. I've heard between Thanksgiving and Christmas is also a good time to go, and after New Years since everyone's back at school.
    ~*~*~*~*~

• nicoann said:

@CookiePusher I've only been to Disney World once, a couple years ago. I have mixed feelings about it.  We went the day after Christmas, which is apparently their busiest day of the year and they reached full capacity by 9am.  It was super crowded and we got pretty frustrated with all the people, which kind of ruined the day a bit.  But, FI proposed to me while there, so getting a sparkly ring made up for it a bit.

Yea, definitely don't go during touristy times! The last time FI and I went, it was over Memorial Day weekend a few years ago. It was crowded, but it wasn't crazy since a lot of northern states still had school. I've gone in February/March/April and had a blast. April can get crazy with kids on spring break, but at least the weather is really nice already. I've heard between Thanksgiving and Christmas is also a good time to go, and after New Years since everyone's back at school.

Disney in March is the best.
  • My favorite vacation so far has been the 2 Alaskan cruises I've been to.  I seriously love it up there - actually anywhere with snowy mountains in the distance I just am drawn to - I love nature and quiet beautiful places.  Hopefully I can convince FI to go on an Alaskan cruise with me so I can do another one! 

• Our first vacation together was Disney, and we're planning on going back early 2015 to celebrate paying off my student loans. Can't. Wait.

Anniversary
  • jenna8984 said:
    Sorry guys I just do not understand camping and don't think I ever will. I like hiking and swimming as much as the next guy but then why can't I do that and go sleep in a glorious bed at night? I just don't see the allure of no showers, no electricity, blow up mattresses, bugs. And if you go to a campground that has showers and modern amenities why not just go to a damn hotel cuz you're not really camping? lol
    I actually love camping.  I should have mentioned that because we've been living the super-swanky student lifestyle for a few years, camping is one of the only vacations we can actually afford.  We have a big trunk-sized tub of camping equipment, we can just throw it in the car and go.  The state parks in NJ are very clean and well-maintained.  You get a private camping spot with a picnic table and a fire ring for about $20 per night, often with beautiful hiking and fishing.  I really enjoy getting away from it all and just having low-tech time with Fi.  I bring a ton of books and just chill.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

"I'm not a rude bitch.  I'm ten rude bitches in a large coat."

• I love Carolina Beach, NC. FI and I buy a seaosn pass to Freemont Park and drive on the beach and camp throughout the year.

Cherry Grove, SC is such a nice area. North of Myrtle but a quieter and more family-friendly scene. If you ever are near this place, try Hamburger Heaven. Best hamburgers of my life! But they are only open seasonally so if it is winter time, they're closed.

I love Disney World and Universal Studios. FI and I are going to Pompano Beach, FL for our honeymoon and are taking a day trip to go back to Universal!

We love historic towns so dowtown Wilmington, NC always has something going on as well as Savannah, GA. I also love Athens, GA.

• @simky906 Hmmm. Do you live in the city? Maybe I don't see the greatness because where I live there is hiking and a lake within 8 minutes drive and I do see stars from my backyard and I do hear the crickets from my window each morning. ? that could be why I don't get it maybe?

• If you're into The Walking Dead, go visit my hometown of Senoia, GA. They have Walking Dead filming tours during the summer.
    --

I'm the fuck
    out.

• We go to Sun Valley once a year, as well as Jackson Hole. Sun Valley is one of my favorite places to camp. It's quiet and when the sun starts spilling over the mountains, it's breathtaking. Also Disneyland.
    My brother is the bar manager at Sun Valley! :)
  • I love OBX & Asheville in North Carolina. My new favorite place (favorite enough to choose it as our wedding destination) is the Flathead Valley in Montana. Flathead Lake & Glacier Natl Park areas are some of the most breathtaking places I've ever been. I'm so jealous that FI gets to claim NW Montana as his childhood stomping ground.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • @smiledamnit Are you niccirf with a name change or no? I beleive it's her that's also getting married on Flathead Lake and I'm super jealous. I've never been but the pictures look absolutely amazing!

• CMGragainCMGragain member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited June 2014
    ANY cruise ship!  ANY destination!  We like Princess Cruises.  I don't have to cook, clean, make the bed, plan, drive.  I get to see amazing things that I never dreamed I would see when I was growing up!  Russian palaces (No wonder they had a revolution!), Greek ruins, volcanoes, whales, stone age circles, Pompeii, museums throughout the world!
    We are thinking about Singapore, Malaysia and Indonesia next year.
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  • emmaaa said:
    I love Carolina Beach, NC. FI and I buy a seaosn pass to Freemont Park and drive on the beach and camp throughout the year.

Cherry Grove, SC is such a nice area. North of Myrtle but a quieter and more family-friendly scene. If you ever are near this place, try Hamburger Heaven. Best hamburgers of my life! But they are only open seasonally so if it is winter time, they're closed.

I love Disney World and Universal Studios. FI and I are going to Pompano Beach, FL for our honeymoon and are taking a day trip to go back to Universal!

We love historic towns so dowtown Wilmington, NC always has something going on as well as Savannah, GA. I also love Athens, GA.
    FI and I just went to Carolina Beach last year on vacation and I fell in love! We went in September after Labor Day so the beaches were empty and quiet but the weather was still very warm. I can't wait to go back again. My girlfriend loved the area so much that her and her BF just moved down there in February!
  • jenna8984 said:
    @smiledamnit Are you niccirf with a name change or no? I beleive it's her that's also getting married on Flathead Lake and I'm super jealous. I've never been but the pictures look absolutely amazing!
    Yes ma'am ;) Changed it a few months ago.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • emmaaa said:
    I love Carolina Beach, NC. FI and I buy a seaosn pass to Freemont Park and drive on the beach and camp throughout the year.

FI and I just went to Carolina Beach last year on vacation and I fell in love! We went in September after Labor Day so the beaches were empty and quiet but the weather was still very warm. I can't wait to go back again. My girlfriend loved the area so much that her and her BF just moved down there in February!
    We love it. It is just a fun and laid back area to be at! It is super crowded during peak months but nothing you wouldn't expect at a beach. It's only about 30 minutes from Wilmington so you still have other "night-life" options if you want.

• jenna8984 said:
    Sorry guys I just do not understand camping and don't think I ever will. I like hiking and swimming as much as the next guy but then why can't I do that and go sleep in a glorious bed at night? I just don't see the allure of no showers, no electricity, blow up mattresses, bugs. And if you go to a campground that has showers and modern amenities why not just go to a damn hotel cuz you're not really camping? lol

Stuck in box!

So, the campground my family and I went to for 20 years was one of the state parks with showers and flush toilets.  For one, it's a very cheap vacation so it appeals to families. For two.... I don't have a two. Haha. If you don't like sleeping on a cot or air mattress in a sleeping bag, no one will fault you for that.  Full disclosure, we've always had a 20-foot trailer (sleeps "six"...tightly), a second tent with cots, and a screen tent to put around the picnic table so we certainly had our creature comforts.  It's just something about being out in nature that you can't replicate in a hotel room.  I love it, FI hates it. For him, it's cabin and fishing or nothing.  We're planning to get a hotel in Door County and just hike and swim in the state park.  

• This thread has really given me the travel bug. I'm pestering FI about it now. We are thinking we can swing a weekend trip to Gatlinburg before the wedding. Lol
  • @jenna8984 I live in the DC metro area so no stars/crickets for me usually! If you get that on a daily basis I could see how you don't want any more of it.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards