Wedding Reception Forum

First Dance - We LOVE "all of me" but it's too popular! Help!

We are obsessed with "All of Me" by John Legend, but it is way too popular. We hear it on the radio at least 3 times in a 30 minute drive. I am a teacher and when the Grade 7's ask for the techno version during gym class you know it's too popular!
Suggestions?? We both get tingles and I get teary hearing this song...any others as moving?

Re: First Dance - We LOVE "all of me" but it's too popular! Help!

• In like, not even two years it will be known as that weepy one hit wonder song, so if you like it, go for it.

Anniversary
  • Our wedding song was played a lot on the radio too at the time of our wedding. Now we're lucky to hear it.
  • I would keep it! If it is special to you all then do not change it! My father-daughter dance is to a popular father-daughter dance song but I could careless!
  • If you like John Legend, I would go with "Stay With You." It's a super cute song, but not overdone.
  • edited June 2014
    In like, not even two years it will be known as that weepy one hit wonder song, so if you like it, go for it.
    One hit wonder?? John Legend has had more hits than that. 

How about a cover? I actually love this girl's version more than the original. You get the meaning you want but it's still new and interesting for people to listen to.

• ElcaBElcaB member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    In like, not even two years it will be known as that weepy one hit wonder song, so if you like it, go for it.
    One hit wonder?? John Legend has had more hits than that. 

How about a cover? I actually love this girl's version more than the original. You get the meaning you want but it's still new and interesting for people to listen to.

I agree with the first poster, but this is another great suggestion. 

@lolo883, I don't even like the original, but I love that cover! I have a feeling I'll be playing that on repeat all morning!
  • @chibiyui how dare you call John Legend a one-hit wonder! He is crazy talented.

And I think the violin version would be a cool way to make it different, but OP, if you love the song, just use it. It won't be popular forever.

Wedding Countdown Ticker

"I'm not a rude bitch.  I'm ten rude bitches in a large coat."

• its a great song! I was thinking about it until I was in the car with my mom one day. It came on the radio and she suddenly exclaimed (with an unusual amount of conviction) that she HATES the song. For some reason that ruined it for me. Then one day I was listening to Pandora and heard a song by Adele that I had never heard before on the radio or anywhere else and I fell absolutely in love with it. Even my Fi said he loves it and its perfect and he listens to metal music lol.

If you don't happen across anything you like better, just keep All of Me, I think it's great.  

• If you and your FI like the song then keep it.  Who gives a shit if it is "too popular"?

• @chibiyui how dare you call John Legend a one-hit wonder! He is crazy talented.

And I think the violin version would be a cool way to make it different, but OP, if you love the song, just use it. It won't be popular forever.

I don't think he isn't talented or anything like that, I just don't see him staying around top 40 charts is all. Lots of great musicians, singers and bands are "one hit wonders"

Anniversary
  • kat1114 said:
    chibiyui said:
    @chibiyui how dare you call John Legend a one-hit wonder! He is crazy talented.

I don't think he isn't talented or anything like that, I just don't see him staying around top 40 charts is all. Lots of great musicians, singers and bands are "one hit wonders"
    When you have 5 albums that all make it to the top 10 on the Billboard charts, and two of them go gold and two others go platinum, I think it's safe to say you are past the point of being a "one hit wonder."
    I swear to god I've never heard of John Legend before this song.

Anniversary
  • @chibiyui - I am not a fan of John Legend either. I just don't get the appeal.

• @Maggie0829 ha ha, thanks! I wasn't trying to say he was bad or anything, I just didn't think this song and for that matter him, were going to remain big in pop culture. That said I don't like that song. Not my style. I can't jam to it in the car.

Anniversary
  • chibiyui said:
    @Maggie0829 ha ha, thanks! I wasn't trying to say he was bad or anything, I just didn't think this song and for that matter him, were going to remain big in pop culture. That said I don't like that song. Not my style. I can't jam to it in the car.
    I honestly think that his super hot girlfriend/FI/wife (not sure what she is) is helping him stay in the spotlight a bit.

I swear I feel like he came out on the music scene a few years ago with a big hit, then disappeared for a while and then popped up again with another big hit.

• I agree with the PP who said if the song means something to you, then you should go with it.
    I originally wanted our first dance to be A Thousand Years because I like the song, not because I'm a Twilight fan. But, like you, was worried it was too popular. I'm not sure how my H found it, because it's a somewhat obscure song, but we decided on Jim Brickman's Love of My Life. 
  • We used "All of me" as our second song to dance to after cake. I didn't care if it was popular.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker Visit The Knot!
  • EricaCat1EricaCat1 member
    First Comment
    edited June 2014
    Any others as moving? "All of Me" is not moving at all in my opinion. It's boring and bland.  The TRULY moving, beautiful, goose bump-inducing songs are the real love ballads of the 80's and 90's: "Glory of Love" by Peter Cetera, "Making Love Out of Nothing at All" by Air Supply, "The Search is Over" by Survivor, "Will You Still Love Me?" by Chicago, "The Power of Love" by Celine Dion to name just a few.
  • you know what was the top wedding song the year I got married previously? Hoobastank, The Reason. Do you know why I remember, because we DIDN'T use it! lol Personally, I'm not a fan of 'pop' culture songs for weddings, but I think it's most important that the song speaks to you as a couple and if it does that, then go for it.
  • Thanks everyone for the feedback - we're still looking!!
  • were using it as well... FI heard it almost a year ago and decided he wanted it... then it became popular so he's all bummed that's it's not original anymore... but it's a beautiful song (original version) and we both decided we loved it enough to keep with whether or not it was popular! 

and I really get annoyed when radio stations play the same songs every half hour... but it does make me smile real big every time I hear it now that I know it's our wedding song :)
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • My FI and I have always wanted Jesse Powell- You as our first dance. But when researching songs for our ceremony, we came across Safetysuit- Never Stop (Acoustic Version) and I cried like a damn baby! I always thought we would use "You" cause it's the first song he ever dedicated to me. But Never Stop pulled at our heartstrings and we are going with that one. So if it means something to you go for it!!

PS- I jokingly told my FI we should dance to John Legend's - Asylum and he turned that down quickly lol.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards