October 2014 Weddings

The classic favor debate...

I really didn't anticipate on having favors to be honest, I don't think they are necessary.  My FI thought we had to have them.  I'm not sure if he definitely wants them or he just thought they were expected.  I told him if we did them we'd do chocolate or something edible.  I don't mind the cost as we only will have about 40 guests.  I've been eyeing a few chocolate items from a local chocolatier that is sort of the local famous chocolate in my area.  Plus we love it, that's what we always give for gifts for holidays, etc.  Either individually wrapped chocolate covered pretzels or a small box of chocolates (which is a little more costly), or it appears they offer a chocolate "leaf" in the fall so that might be nice for an October wedding and in keeping with our leaf theme of our invitations.  He agrees with the edible/chocolate favors. 

Anyway, are you doing favors?  If so what? 

Re: The classic favor debate...

• We've thought about doing mini bags filled with our favorite local coffee... BUT with all the other diy stuff we have planned, we may not end up doing them.

We will be having a photo booth at the reception though, so guests will have a photo strip as their favor anyway.
  • kla728kla728 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment Name Dropper
    We are going to have trays of Italian wedding cookies and provide baggies that guests can use to take some home.  It seems like food is the most popular giveaway and these are inexpensive, easy, and delicious -- plus FI is Italian and they usually have them at family gatherings.  Haven't been to any other weddings in his family so not sure if they are also common there but his mom is all about it.
  • PepperallyPepperally member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited June 2014

@kla728- a cookie "table" is a tradition in the area I live - Pittsburgh.  It's not just an Italian thing for this area, either, many ethnicities/nationalities are associated with it around here.  No one in my family or his - at least our parents, care about having one.  I don't see the need at such a small wedding and it's not a traditional wedding, it's at a restaurant so the focus is on the food anyway...we'll basically be doing nothing but eating the whole time...lol.  But it's practically expected at weddings here...and over the years it's evolved into giving containers for people to take them home. 

@jules3964 - I love your coffee idea if you end up doing it!

• labrolabro member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    edited June 2014

I love the idea of a chocolate leaf! That sounds beautiful....and delicious!!!

We're having boxed gourmet cookies as our favors. In fact, I'm debating between two sample boxes right now and I'm having a tough time choosing between the two! I think I'm leaning towards the box with the slimmer ribbon though.

• kla728kla728 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment Name Dropper
    edited June 2014
    @Pepperally yeah I have seen a lot of talk about this being a Western PA tradition on TK and not necessarily an Italian thing.  Although often when I see PA brides talk about it, they & their families are baking the cookies.  Is that your experience as well or have I just seen some exceptional cases?  Mine are definitely coming from a bakery haha.

ETF: typo.  woops!
  • I want to give the guests something like this
    http://www.botanicalpaperworks.com/catalog/wedding-collection/plantable-seed-wedding-favors/0919/herb-rustic-wedding-favor

And a small box of macaron cookies that the bakery who's catering our wedding is known for.
    edited June 2014
    @kla728 - traditionally, yes, the family makes trays of cookies...anyone and everyone could be involved in that, depending on how large the wedding is. My co-worker told me recently he was at a relative's wedding and his mom and aunt got in a fight because they hadn't trayed all of the cookies so the mom or someone was pissed off that her cookies weren't set out. lol. It's crazy. But these days I'd say it could go either way, many people don't want to bother family or don't have those types of connections so they just order trays from a bakery. @LaPeanut1018 - I think the box with the slimmer ribbon seems a little more wedding-ish, if that makes any sense!  I've also debated doing a cookie favor as well due to the Pittsburgh cookie table tradition, but I'm definitely not doing a cookie table.  I don't even think there's enough room in our space to do one. @Jenny Colada - macaron's are all the rage right now so I'd love to get those along with the seed packets.
  • @LaPeanut1018 - P.S. what kind of cookies will you have in those lovely boxes?

• We are doing homemade cookies that my FI makes that are amazing, in little bags with a ribbon.  
  • labrolabro member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    @Pepperally We're having toffee chocolate chip cookies and southern pecan pie bars....yummmmm!!! The toffee chocolate chip is seriously heaven when you bite into it.

edited June 2014

YUM YUM YUM!!! Cookie favors are sounding more delicious with each response! I may definitely keep that option on my list as well. It may be my own take on the Pittsburgh cookie table!

ETA:  just found this local place that makes all kinds of gourmet food/favors.  They have these gourmet apple bites, several flavors of them (like dipped in chocolate, some with nuts, etc) and they're on sticks.  hmmmm... 

• I wasn't going to do them and my great aunt flipped when I told her and she said she would do them. So we are just doing Hershey kisses wrapped in tulle with a thank you tag. I have a shitton of left over tulle from doing a light garland and I have nothing else to do with it. 
    Anniversary
  • We're having Lindor truffles in our wedding colors (conveniently mine and FH's favorite flavors). We took that as a sign and it's easy so we're going with it.
  • We are having a candy buffet, so we will be giving out these jars for everyone to fill up. This ended up being far more expensive and time consuming than I expected, but once I have my mind set on something, I have a hard time letting go of the idea. I also like the idea of something edible, or something that can be put to good use. The last wedding I went to, I got a cool pizza cutter as a favor, and I use it all the time!
  • We are doing small glass jars with M&Ms in our wedding colors (plum and ivory). We made a label to go on top of the lid of the jars and tied a ribbon around each one. I'm happy with how they turned out, but they were a bit pricey than what I was initially anticipating. The custom M&Ms was the bulk of the costs, as we have around 130 guests and had to buy enough to cover all of them - we got a 10 lb bag!

• We are passing out stamped kraft paper bags for our guests to take away chocolates, cupcakes, and cookies from our desert table.  We chose an edible favor because we knew our guests would "use" our gift. 

Wedding Countdown Ticker

~Melissa
  • Since we are having a TINY wedding (14 people) - we are going to customize one of these per couple - on the back it'll have our names and our date:

When we were THINKING about having a wedding at home, I was going to do donuts from my favorite donut shop:

Anniversary
  • We are doing Donuts from our favorite vegan donut bakery! So freaking excited about them, I'm going to eat them alllllllll.
  • foreverofcourse Yay for vegan donuts! We considered doing a tower of vegan donuts on our dessert table, but settled on vegan cupcakes instead.
  • We are doing a Tuscan theme so we're doing mini terra cotta pots, spray painted gold with a rosemary plant. These will also serve as a vehicle for the place cards. The front of place card will have guests name and the back will say "grown in love from our garden to yours". This is also a way to incorporate more color on our tables.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • @pepperally where in Pittsburgh do you live? I'm originally from Pittsburgh (West End/Crafton area myself) but moved to Philly 8 years ago, and then to Boston 4 years ago. I love Pittsburgh. A lot of our guests coming to our wedding keep asking if we're having a cookie table since that's the "thing" in Pgh, but we're not having one. Instead we're doing chocolate molds of tardis and daleks.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

• @ashwise - I'm originally from out west by the airport but live in the east now.  I've pretty much lived everywhere but the north, lol. 

We are going to Boston for our honeymoon!!!!!  Please let me know if you have any great places to go/try out!

• @pepperally fun!! The airport is a nice area, my family frequents Robinson all the time, lol. And honeymooning in Boston is so much fun.  If you're going in Oct for the honeymoon then I totally recommend seeing Salem.  That's where I live currently and they really go all out for October.  Also, I would recommend Quincy Market in Boston.  There's a lot of nice beaches too up here, Cranes Beach in Ipswich Ma (right by where we're getting married) is beautiful.  There's a bunch of things to do in Boston, if you want more feel free to PM me. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

• @ashwise - thanks for the ideas!  We are planning to do Salem and then my friend said to go to Gloucester...I don't know if we will need to do seperate day trips for that or do it all in one? 
  • well we're having game of thrones theme so thinking of either doing wine charms with the different houses. we have 5 tables so 5 houses; ~50 ppl. the second idea to tie name tags to a small figurine representing each house. :)
  • We're doing wine bottle stoppers and probably little to-go containers to take desserts home from the Viennese Hour.  My family probably expects espresso cups or something (Italian), but FI is from far away so his family/friends will be flying in and a larger/breakable favor would just be a nuisance for them.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • bleufairy said:
    well we're having game of thrones theme so thinking of either doing wine charms with the different houses. we have 5 tables so 5 houses; ~50 ppl. the second idea to tie name tags to a small figurine representing each house. :)
    Honestly, I'd save your money. Little nicknacks like that are the first thing in the trash for me. Unless it's something that I collect, I don't need a little figurine from your wedding collecting trash.

But it might be a cute guest book idea: you could get your guests to paint them or sign the bottoms of them, and then you can use them as decoration in your house.
  • kebebbkebebb member
    We're having a photo booth and skipping more traditional favors.
  • @kebebb - I'm glad to hear another bride on my train of thought.  I was looking through all the party favors trying to get ideas and my Mom and FI reminded me that we are having a photo booth and they can take their pictures with them as a souvineer.  Favors, check!
    edited July 2014
    Well, we did decide on a favor (FMIL thinks we should have them and has graciously offered to pay for them along with our cake) - mini cinnamon swirl loafs.  We did a cake tasting today and they also do all kinds of favors and we were so torn between these mini caramel apple bites on a stick and something like the mini loafs, but the apple bites were too small to do as a favor to take home.  So mini loafs it is!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards