Wedding Reception Forum

Any Reception slideshow/video ideas???

My sister is getting married soon and she put me in charge of the slideshow/video that will be played during the dinner reception. Of course it will have pictures of the bride and groom but I'm looking for some good ideas on what kind of videos to include. I was thinking maybe including some surprise videos of family members and friends wishing them happiness,etc. maybe another video of the bride and groom telling the story of how they met. Any other cool ideas ?? And maybe some surprise videos ??? I'm welcome to anything!!! Cheesy is fine too as they both are jokesters.

Re: Any Reception slideshow/video ideas???

• My sister is getting married soon and she put me in charge of the slideshow/video that will be played during the dinner reception. Of course it will have pictures of the bride and groom but I'm looking for some good ideas on what kind of videos to include. I was thinking maybe including some surprise videos of family members and friends wishing them happiness,etc. maybe another video of the bride and groom telling the story of how they met. Any other cool ideas ?? And maybe some surprise videos ??? I'm welcome to anything!!! Cheesy is fine too as they both are jokesters.

Slideshows should be played in the background so people can pay attention to them as they wish. No one wants to be held as a captive audience while a slideshow plays. With that in mind, I would scratch videos and well wishes because the volume will be competing with the music and talking going on in the reception.
  • No videos at all. They're distracting and make the reception feel like an all-about-the-couple-fest instead of a happy social occasion.
  • Okay thank you all for the feedback. So let me ask you this...is CD played music during the dinner okay and not too boring? We don't have a band and we figured we didn't want the dinner to be boring so we thought we could have a little movie going on about the couple. Thoughts?
  • Dinner isn't boring because people are busy eating and chatting, but yes, a CD is fine. Background music is always nice.
  • Having a CD playing in the background during dinner is fine.  But any kind of movie, video, or slide show is going to be a distraction as well as have the appearance of being AWish.
  • Ditto PPs. Music, please. No videos with sound. 
    What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
  • Please no videos! I get so embarrassed for the couple when I see these and I feel incredibly uncomfortable.
  • I was thinking maybe including some surprise videos of family members and friends wishing them happiness,etc. maybe another video of the bride and groom telling the story of how they met. Any other cool ideas ?? And maybe some surprise videos ??? I'm welcome to anything!!! Cheesy is fine too as they both are jokesters.
    Surprise video with wishes? It would be something great to put on disk for them to find the morning after the wedding (or the honeymoon), not to show during the reception especially if some of the family members and friends in the video are at the reception and/or already giving a speech in person. It's something bride and groom are going to appreciate watching, but not necessarily something great to show to everyone during the reception. You might get people who can't make it to the wedding to participate in this. 

video of how they met? Big no no, unless it's something extraordinarily unusual people (even her guests) are not going to care whether they met at a bar, at work, at a night club, in summer camp or at school or whether they had pizza, ice cream or taccos for their first date. Most of your guests have love stories of their own who started like that, someone else's is not going to be nearly as special to them.

A looping slideshow without music is something you can do without forcing anyone, who isn't interested to watch, to watch, while anyone who is interested can still take a minute and watch the pictures. 
  • I just went to a wedding where before the wedding party was announced since there were drinks and appetizers, they played an audio of the bride and groom talking about how they met and the engagement story. I thought it was a cute idea and a way to transition from drinks/apps to the bridal party being announced. 
  • Jen4948Jen4948 member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    edited June 2014
    I just went to a wedding where before the wedding party was announced since there were drinks and appetizers, they played an audio of the bride and groom talking about how they met and the engagement story. I thought it was a cute idea and a way to transition from drinks/apps to the bridal party being announced. 
    Many people won't be interested in "how they met" let alone want to be subjected to an audio of the couple, and they'll resent being treated as a captive audience for it.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards