Wedding Reception Forum

Champagne fountain or beer and wine bar?

I'm really leaning on the champagne fountain. We don't have a ton of drinkers, and it's half of the cost. Lemonade and tea will also be served with lunch and cake.

Re: Champagne fountain or beer and wine bar?

• I think this is a know your crowd thing. Many people like wine or beer, but even among wine drinkers there are many who don't like champagne. And although I like it, I would prefer to drink wine since I can't drink a lot of bubbly without, well, starting to get gassy. (Sorry if that's TMI)
  • I agree with Allie. I love champagne, but I am in the minority on that in my circle. I think wine and beer are bigger crowd pleasers. 
    What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
  • Wine and beer.

• I don't care for champagne.  I vote for beer and wine!
  • Rebl90Rebl90 member
    First Comment 5 Love Its First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Wine and beer!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • wine and beer! Champagne tends to be too sweet for me (or maybe it's just the ones I've tried) but if you're going for crowd pleasers definitely wine and beer

• Champagne is fantastic, but it should be in addition to wine and beer if you serve it. If it needs to be one or the other, then opt for the beer and wine. And just for note, champagne should be dry- if it was sweet, you probably weren't drinking champagne, cava, or prosecco- you were probably drinking something else.
  • Champagne (or sparkling domestic substitute) is best drunk when poured from a chilled bottle, not a fountain that would destroy the bubbles. It sounds good on paper, but people who like champagne won't be pleased by this, and others might rather have a nice wine or beer. 
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  • Wine and beer for the reception, but I would take a champagne fountain any day. Every day. 
  • Wine and beer. Most people who I know (including me) that like champagne, drink one or two glasses. Beer a dog wine is popular with more people.
  • Champagne fountains negatively affect the taste of the champagne. I am a champagne drinker but wouldn't drink it out of a fountain. Beer and wine is definitely the better choice here.

Also, champagne is like whiskey, it isn't worth it if you don't drink it yourself and know the quality. Not to sound like a snob, but don't get champagne just to get champagne- the really cheap stuff isn't good and no one will drink it. If you still want something sparkling, try prosecco or cava (but definitely don't run it through the fountain!) as it is really delicious, without having to pay for the "champagne" name. A good mid range extra dry cava/prosecco will be the same price as cheap champagne but the quality will be astronomically better.
  • Another vote for wine & beer. Personal tastes on champagne can be all of the place. People seem to be able to adjust to beer and wine more.
  • Wine & beer. 

I like champagne to toast or have one/two, but I prefer to drink wine or beer for longer events.
  • Beer and wine. I adore champagne, but I wouldn't drink it out of a fountain. That would ruin the bubbles! Plus, like others said, it's not as popular.
  • Another vote for wine and beer.

And sorry, but a champagne fountain makes me think of an 80's wedding from the movie "Wedding Singer".

• I vote for champagne without the fountain.  If you really want to use the fountain use it for the lemonade.  
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • champagne should never go through a fountain. Just no.

Plus a lot of people just do not like champagne.

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • ElcaBElcaB member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    I love champagne, but I'd prefer beer & wine. 
  • Champagne fountains negatively affect the taste of the champagne. I am a champagne drinker but wouldn't drink it out of a fountain. Beer and wine is definitely the better choice here.

Also, champagne is like whiskey, it isn't worth it if you don't drink it yourself and know the quality. Not to sound like a snob, but don't get champagne just to get champagne- the really cheap stuff isn't good and no one will drink it. If you still want something sparkling, try prosecco or cava (but definitely don't run it through the fountain!) as it is really delicious, without having to pay for the "champagne" name. A good mid range extra dry cava/prosecco will be the same price as cheap champagne but the quality will be astronomically better.
    All of this^  FI and I are champagne and whiskey drinkers, and sadly the cheap stuff really isn't worth it.

I think having a beer and wine bar will go over much better with your guests.

"Love is the one thing we're capable of perceiving that transcends time and space."

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards