Catholic Weddings

Has anyone/their partner got an annulment?

Hi,
My partner and I are both married, however he was married by a JOP in his first marriage.  We are seriously discussing trying to go through the annulment process so we can get married in the church.  Has anyone else gone through this? Thanks

Re: Has anyone/their partner got an annulment?

• Was he catholic at the time that he attempted the civil marriage? If so, he will not need a full annulment, but lack of form decree (in the US)
  • yes, backgrounds of each of you in terms of your faith and how the marriages were performed will make a huge difference in how the annulments are approached as well as average length of time each will take.

for weddings that were performed according to form (i.e., a catholic married in a catholic church by a priest) it can be anywhere from 12-24 months on average.  this is in large part due to reliance on others to submit testimony on your behalf as well as various time frames awarded the other party (who is notified of the process) in terms of responding /appealing.

• Thank you for the information.  He was not a practicing Catholic at the time of his marriage, he had his first communion but never did confirmation.  He and his ex separated after 10 months and were divorced later the same year.  The major was largely due to them having a child together(but the marriage occurred after the child was born since his ex was still married to someone else at the time).  I am Catholic, been confirmed etc and never been married.  

To be honest I've never quite understood that if you get married in a civil ceremony then you are not married according to the Catholic church, but yet if you get divorced after your civil marriage that marriage now counts and needs to be annulled.  Maybe I have it confused I don't know.  
  • emcmac87 said:
    Thank you for the information.  He was not a practicing Catholic at the time of his marriage, he had his first communion but never did confirmation.  He and his ex separated after 10 months and were divorced later the same year.  The major was largely due to them having a child together(but the marriage occurred after the child was born since his ex was still married to someone else at the time).  I am Catholic, been confirmed etc and never been married.  

To be honest I've never quite understood that if you get married in a civil ceremony then you are not married according to the Catholic church, but yet if you get divorced after your civil marriage that marriage now counts and needs to be annulled.  Maybe I have it confused I don't know.  
    If he was a baptized catholic, then no, his civil marriage probably did not meet the requirements for proper form, and he would not need a full annulment.  He would need the lack of form paperwork.  A priest should be able to verify this for him.

If a *non-Catholic* marries in a civil marriage, the Catholic Church presumes it to be valid, and therefore, the person would need an annulment.  While your FI isn't/wasn't a practicing Catholic, people who are baptized Catholic typically are required to uphold proper form for their marriage to be valid in the Church.  But of course, definitely verify your specific situation with a priest.

SaveSave
  • whether he was practicing or not is irrelevant in this situation because the church views you as catholic if you have been baptized catholic.  doesnt matter if you never went to church again after your baptism.

a non-catholic who marries in a non-catholic ceremony is considered validly married by teh catholic church as the church recognizes marriages of other faiths.  however, a baptized catholic who marries outside of the catholic church, whether it is civilly or in another church is not considered validly married.  you would need annulments for both, but the latter would be more simple and straightforward (lack of form).

length of marriage is also irrelevant.  the fact that the girl was pregnant could possibly be an impediment and help his case as its possible he entered the marriage for the wrong reasons (a child).

your original post says you are both married, yet a later post says that only your fiance is married.  im confused?  are you both married to each other now civilly and you are seeking an annulment for his marriage so that you can have your marriage to him convalidated?

• @Calypso1977 Sorry I usually use mobile and never see notifications.  I just looked at my post and noticed I did say we were both married which is not correct, it was supposed to say my partner and I are both *thinking about getting* married and somehow I must have deleted that or something, no idea clearly I wasn't focused haha  He was married but is divorced, I have never been married.

The info has been very helpful thank you, I did not know about the lack of form thing so I'm glad I asked and will check with my priest.  He is also my uncle so I wanted to go into it at least a little informed so I wouldn't sound like I had no idea what I was talking about.  
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards