Wedding Recap and Withdrawal
Options

name change question

hii everyone! i am getting married on August 17. FI is in the army, so on August 30, I am flying to live with him where he is stationed. How will this work if I change my name? My airline ticket is in my maiden name. I was planning on taking FI last name. I don't know what to do. Any advice?
Wedding Countdown Ticker
image253 Invited
image123 Accepted
image53 Declined
image99 Leavin' Me hangin
RSVP Date: August 5, 2012

Re: name change question

• Options
    Check if you can change your name through the mail after you've moved- most places will let you do so. Perhaps you could pick up the paperwork from the SS office and DMV now, so you'll have it to mail in after your move.
  • Options
    Thank you. I wasn't sure if had to be in my home state/state we got married.

In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_wedding-recap-withdrawal_name-change-question-1?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:12Discussion:8751370f-d6c9-423b-b8b1-2bac5fc82978Post:e9d9c8fe-a93e-4a7a-869f-42b4c12fdcbe">Re: name change question</a>:
    [QUOTE]Check if you can change your name through the mail after you've moved- most places will let you do so. Perhaps you could pick up the paperwork from the SS office and DMV now, so you'll have it to mail in after your move.
    Posted by MoonlightSilver[/QUOTE]
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
    image253 Invited
    image123 Accepted
    image53 Declined
  • Options
    I actually changed my DL and SS card before my HM and just used my passport with my maiden name as an ID.  If you have a passport you can also do this.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    Good idea. I do! But also...I won't get my new drivers license back before I move...can't I use that still since it will still have my maiden name on it?
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
    image253 Invited
    image123 Accepted
    image53 Declined
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_wedding-recap-withdrawal_name-change-question-1?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:12Discussion:8751370f-d6c9-423b-b8b1-2bac5fc82978Post:21f71eb3-8e83-4563-b042-cf880c63e1d3">Re: name change question</a>:
    [QUOTE]Good idea. I do! But also...I won't get my new drivers license back before I move...can't I use that still since it will still have my maiden name on it?
    Posted by holycrapitsalexa[/QUOTE]

Just make sure they don't put any marks on it. In NJ they punch a hole in it.

• Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_wedding-recap-withdrawal_name-change-question-1?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:12Discussion:8751370f-d6c9-423b-b8b1-2bac5fc82978Post:0961387a-90f1-4dd4-b729-fac1bf4a84a5">Re: name change question</a>:
    [QUOTE]Thank you. I wasn't sure if had to be in my home state/state we got married. In Response to Re: name change question :

For the Social Security change, you can go to *any* social security office - doesn't matter which state. I did it while we were on our honeymoon.
    Anniversary
  • Options
    In Michigan they clip a corner. Maybe this is ignorant, but do airports not accept those?
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
    image253 Invited
    image123 Accepted
    image53 Declined
  • Options
    HobokensFuryHobokensFury member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Answer Name Dropper
    edited August 2012
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_wedding-recap-withdrawal_name-change-question-1?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:12Discussion:8751370f-d6c9-423b-b8b1-2bac5fc82978Post:67244da8-5169-4b0b-895e-a364c2145986">Re: name change question</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Michigan they clip a corner. Maybe this is ignorant, but do airports not accept those?

The clip and hole voids the id.  My guess is the in state airports would know and not accept it but an out of state airport wouldn't know. I still carry mine because some stuff is still in my old name.

• Options
    No, I am keeping my current state as my DL. We will only be there for a few years (military). I will probably just go the passport route :)
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
    image253 Invited
    image123 Accepted
    image53 Declined
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards