Wedding Reception Forum

After-party following early afternoon reception?

For many of the venues that we are looking at in Newport, RI the rates are less if the ceremony takes place morning or early afternoon so our whole wedding may be over by 4:00 PM. I like the idea of having an after-party (especially for younger guests) at any time, but especially if we have the whole evening to celebrate! 

Booking a whole extra venue for a second reception is out of the budget, so does anyone have advice about where to take the party afterwards? I'm thinking to provide transportation to the hotel where we're staying or the beach. Just wondering if anyone has experience with this! (PS: I'd like to continue wearing my wedding dress for the after-party, is this tacky?)

Re: After-party following early afternoon reception?

• If it is an unhosted after party, it should be word of mouth only. Also, realise that people will want to get food at some point so people may trickle away. Once you issue physical invitations, you have to pay/host it.

Honestly, 4pm is a bit of an awkward time for an "after party". Could you pay for a hog roast on the beach or something equally inexpensive?

And yes, definitely still rock your dress, it is still your wedding day!
  • Thanks for the advice :) 

Oh yes, forgot to clarify that it will indeed be word-of-mouth. I agree that 4:00 PM is tricky so I'm certainly budgeting for some hosted food/beverage (even if its only appetizers and wine/beer), and intend to be clear to attendees about what that covers. Was just interested in if anyone is planning on something similar

• Our reception ended at 2, and then we told everyone where we would be later that night around 9. Those who wanted to came out later and joined us there. 
    What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
  • AddieCake- great idea to wait until later. Beautiful waterfall in your photo!
  • This is what my brother and SIL did at their wedding.  The wedding was an afternoon wedding, so later that evening someone held a backyard barbecue for them.  It was nice.
  • Jen- that sounds so fun! I love the idea of something more casual but still celebratory. Also, waiting a few hours may give guests time to change, rest etc. Good ideas! 
  • ours isn't over that erly...but all told should be done around 7:30pm on a Saturday so we are going to host a bbq, bonfire, and keg at our house for anyone who wants to come back.

It is mainly for the bridal party/younger crew (15 ppl) so we have discussed it with them all in advance.  However, as it is a wedding related event, I felt it important to make sure everyone is invited so while we are not putting it on the invitations, we will mention it at dinner that night so that everyone knows they are welcome.
  • LDay2014- fabulous advice, thanks! I was confused about the etiquette of how to spread the word, so your method of talking to specific invitees beforehand while making a general announcement during the reception makes total sense. I anticipate that only people who are staying over in our wedding area will want to join but I certainly do not want to exclude anyone :) 
  • @bostonista we're having a small wedding (26 people) and everyone is local. But, most of them are 60+ so I don't anticipate that many will come, but they are all welcome to if they would like!
  • AddieCake- great idea to wait until later. Beautiful waterfall in your photo!
    Thank you!
    What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
  • Our reception will be over at 5. We're doing an unhosted after party at a bar in town. We're just spreading by word of mouth where we'll be.
  • Sounds fab- exactly what I'm aiming for! Glad I'm not the only bride who wants to extend the celebration in a cost-effective way!
  • KaurisKauris member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    Our reception is over at four and we are hosting an after party at our house at 6, we'll have a margarita machine, taco truck and keg.
  • kasmith1 said:
    Our reception is over at four and we are hosting an after party at our house at 6, we'll have a margarita machine, taco truck and keg.
    So I'll see you around 4:30 then?
  • KaurisKauris member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited June 2014
    Yes ma'am @JennyColada! I need someone to help me make sure the margaritas are strong enough!
  • @kasmith1- bottomless margaritas and tacos WHILE wearing a beautiful gown...how do you know what I dream of at night?! Fun idea! 
  • casey8784casey8784 member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary First Comment Name Dropper
    edited June 2014
    Another Newport bride here! 

FI and I are having an evening reception, but we are planning an after party at one of the restaurants/bar down on Bowen's/Bannister's Wharf for afterwards. Our reception venue has a restaurant that we could've used, but we would have had to rent it out and pay for a food minimum, which we don't really want to do. I ended up emailing a bunch of places on Thames and asked if they would allow our group (whoever wanted to still stay out) to come and take over a corner of the bar or if there were any fees involved.

Clarke Cooke House said that there's no fee but they would like a heads up that we're coming so they can be properly staffed. Red Parrot has good sized bar areas that can hold a good amount of people. The Landing is another than has distinct bar areas but also has the outside patio going for it. 

The only other advice is that if you're having a Saturday wedding, I'd plan the after-party for a time where you'd be able to snag an area before the dinner-goers/drinking crowd shows up! 

ETA: we focused on looking at places on Thames Street since the hotel blocks are within walking distance, so it depends on location also...
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Our reception also ends at 4:00.  We are not having an after party immediately after, with the ceremony and reception so early in the morning we figured people would be tired and not want to just keep partying.  We haven't set this in stone yet but the plan is to invite everyone via word of mouth back to one of the inns that we are renting out (this will be convenient for guests because a majority will be staying there or at another inn within a 5 min walk) and just hang out by the pool and have a bonfire on the beach once it gets dark.  Really light food just snacks, drinks and s'mores.  
  • I have also been considering this and have a venue in mind that lets you rent the property and house as long as you want so we may do an earlyish wedding with dinner and then have the younger crowd stay and camp out afterward!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards