Wedding Reception Forum

Decorating with EXTREMELY high ceilings. Help!

So our reception is a hall that is also a theater and these ceilings are easily 30+ feet tall. How can I possibly decorate? And if I can decorate from the ceiling, how can I decorate? I feel like it would look bare if I only decorated the walls and tables.

Re: Decorating with EXTREMELY high ceilings. Help!

• It really won't look bare at all because, after the first view, people don't really look up, they are too involved with the party and others at their table.  The high ceilings create a feel of open space, which is really nice.  If you want to draw the eyes up, you can use a taller vase for flowers.  Also, creative up lighting on the walls actually brings the ceiling down because the eyes only travel as high as the lighting goes.  High ceiling rooms basically decorate the same as any other, don't over think it.
  • I love chandeliers.  If you really want to decorate, high ceilings mean you have space for gorgeous chandaliers.  Talk to your rental company/a rental company if you don't have one you're using.
  • If you are trying to emphasis the high ceilings I would just do uplighting which can add so much. If you are trying to hide the ceilings (say they aren't in good shape) I think you need to look into a professional event company that can bring in the proper equipment to deal with that. But since they would need to bring in equipment like a lift twice (once to put up & then for tear down) expect that to get pricey.

• What are you planning on decorating with? You don't need to hang stuff off every surface to be "decorated." I actually hate excessive crap hanging from the ceiling, and prefer wedding decorations to be more simple... colored table linens, centerpieces (can be really tall with high ceilings), flower arrangements on the bar and cake table, uplighting if the walls are truly hideous. 

• We were hoping to do paper lanterns or these jumbo balloons hanging down above the table. We had to change venues, so we started with one vision and now we have to alter it to fit the new place. I was thinking about doing uplighting, but there is artwork on the walls and I dont know how to cover it.
  • Honestly, this is the problem with deciding on a vision before you have a venue. You'll have a much better result if you let the style of your venue guide the decor that you choose. Then you won't need to worry about fitting decorations into an unaccommodating space or covering existing artwork. Work with what you've got.

• doeydodoeydo member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    Perhaps you could do the paper lanterns still, but hang them horizontally more from the wall than from the ceiling, if that makes any sense.  This is what I mean:
    wedding reception Mississippi wedding Church gym wedding reception ceiling
    Or maybe incorporate them into the centerpieces; example:

As for the wall with art on it that you want to cover, perhaps you could use some material.  Examples:
  • Well we were going to get married in Anchorage, but we had some unforeseen expenses. Now we have to get married Fairbanks where we are currently located. Everything was set but we just had to change it to something more cost effective. With little help from either of our parents, we had to drastically cut our budget. I really like the idea of the lanterns from wall to wall like that. I hadn't thought of that!!
    The style of the venue doesn't say much of anything. Its just light blue and wood with a huge mural of a mountain scape.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards