Attire & Accessories Forum

Dry Clean or Alter First?

I bought a really nice Jin Wang dress in a sample sale and I need it both dry cleaned and altered. Which would you recommend doing first? 

Thanks!!

Re: Dry Clean or Alter First?

• I purchased my gown at a sample sale and I went ahead and got it cleaned to make sure all the stains came out.
    Whoever said it was supposed to be happily ever after is a big fat liar.
  • press, alter, press again. My sister-in-law had hers altered then pressed, and once it was pressed and all the wrinkles were taken out, the dress was too long again. 
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_attire-accessories_dry-clean-or-alter-first?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:15Discussion:7f507877-fe65-48a2-bedf-69598f38ed6bPost:ea484dd0-8233-44a8-b3c2-6f82032288cd">Re: Dry Clean or Alter First?</a>:
    [QUOTE]press, alter, press again. My sister-in-law had hers altered then pressed, and once it was pressed and all the wrinkles were taken out, the dress was too long again. 
    Posted by calli913[/QUOTE]

This is not even close to what the OP was asking. Good try though.

I'd clean it, then alter it. I don't know what kind of alterations it will need, but I think of it like a haircut. First they wash, then they cut.

That way they aren't working around any spots that need to be cleaned out. Once it's clean, then it's like a brand new dress and can be altered.
  • aragx6aragx6 member
    5 Love Its Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited June 2012
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_attire-accessories_dry-clean-or-alter-first?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:15Discussion:7f507877-fe65-48a2-bedf-69598f38ed6bPost:5d413464-6464-4b85-8548-d2295e56ddf9">Re: Dry Clean or Alter First?</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Dry Clean or Alter First? : <strong>This is not even close to what the OP was asking. Good try though.</strong> I'd clean it, then alter it. I don't know what kind of alterations it will need, but I think of it like a haircut. First they wash, then they cut. That way they aren't working around any spots that need to be cleaned out. Once it's clean, then it's like a brand new dress and can be altered.
    Posted by LaceyH13[/QUOTE]

Mmmkay ... I know a couple of girls who have bought their dresses at sample sales and this is exactly what they did. Dry clean it first, then alter it, then give it a final press.
    Lizzie
  • AliyyaAliyya member
    First Comment
    Thanks for your help ladies :)
  • So where is a reputable place in Cleveland to have your dress dry cleaned BEFORE the wedding and NOT ruin it?
  • @TeacherJM This thread is 2 years old. Please don't resurrect ancient threads to get questions answered. Also, you might try asking this question on your local board, as this is an international board, and not everyone here is familiar with Cleveland. Good luck!
    What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
  • @AddieCake, I'm sorry I didn't realize I was on the wrong board, but get some TACT. Rude!
  • I'm relatively new to these boards so I guess I don't know the protocol yet either.  I search old threads all the time to see if questions I have may have been answered already.  If I found a thread with similar information but I still needed info, I'd probably bump it just to keep information together.  While I totally understand the idea behind posting local questions on local boards, why is bumping old threads a no-no as long as the information being asked or posted is pertinent?  It seems like that makes more sense than having 20 threads about the same topic and having to sort through all of them to find what you're looking for.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I'm relatively new to these boards so I guess I don't know the protocol yet either.  I search old threads all the time to see if questions I have may have been answered already.  If I found a thread with similar information but I still needed info, I'd probably bump it just to keep information together.  While I totally understand the idea behind posting local questions on local boards, why is bumping old threads a no-no as long as the information being asked or posted is pertinent?  It seems like that makes more sense than having 20 threads about the same topic and having to sort through all of them to find what you're looking for.
    You are right that it would make sense. However, with most of the zombie threads, what happens is that posters come along and validate a bad idea or simply comment to say that they don't like the responses.

For example, a thread about cash bars, which most people here find inappropriate, gets resurrected when a new person comes along JUST to tell all the posters in the thread that they are meanies and the bride should do what she wants. And you look, and the thread is 3 years old and the posters oftentimes are not even active in the community anymore. So an old thread with non-active posters on a topic that WILL come up again (because many people do NOT use the search function and ask the same questions over and over) is now front and center.

Even the TK admins choose to close these threads to keep it from happening. 
    What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
  • @AddieCake, I'm not going to argue with you.  I'm going to leave this up to The Knot, who can review flagged comments.  The Knot's rules are specific about "malicious behavior" and nothing about posting on old boards.  I did make a post earlier on my local board, but didn't receive much response.  I therefore kept looking for information, as @dbacksgirl mentions.   I didn't realize I was on a different board--I think The Knot is a little confusing about that and the date that comments were posted.  

I simply did not appreciate your "Please don't resurrect ancient threads to get questions answered." when I am simply looking for information.  My guess is you wouldn't have appreciated that when you were planning your wedding, either.  Your comment WAS rude and patronizing.  No dictionary is needed for that, just some rules of decorum.  A simple, "This is an old thread" would have worked.  Just an FYI, no one else has taken their time to let me know I'm committing such a "faux-pas". This is supposed to be a POSITIVE site.  I will not be responding to any of these comments further, as it unnecessary and unproductive.

• While it might not be in the TOS to not resurrect old threads, it's generally considered a bad idea on this forum because often times the people you are responding to are no longer on this site. The K'S usually close any old threads that are resurrected because they want an active community, not one filled with old threads and inactive posters. The search is useful for finding answers to questions, but it's best to start your own thread to ask clarifying questions specific to your situation.
    Anniversary
  • What they said ^

Also Addie rocks my socks. Just sayin'.
  • Hey, @TeacherJM‌ Your posts to Addie have been rude.
  • For the record, I learned something about old threads today and I wasn't offended in any way by Addie's reply to me, nor did I find it rude.  I actually appreciated the explanation as it saved me from getting thrown to the wolves if I bumped a zombie thread not knowing it was a faux pas.  :)
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Also, the irony of posting in an old thread about not bumping old threads is not lost on me.  Sorry, I'll stop now. LOL!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I love opposite universe!

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards