Wedding Cakes & Food Forum

Is this cake too busy?

krcbkrcb member
5 Love Its First Comment Name Dropper

I was really liking this cake (minus the stuff up top), but my mom told me it looked too busy. She basically doesn't like it. The main part I like is the middle where it looks like roses. I told her I'd get some opinions on it and think about it, and what better place to get honest opinions than here?

I'm open to any suggestions too! :)

Re: Is this cake too busy?

• lc07lc07 member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    I like simple. So I would do the middle tier with the roses and the top and bottom tier plain. I'd absolutely no matter what nix the blue tulle and the topper and the arch. I promise, however, that at the end of the day none of this will matter so order whatever cake you'd like, assuming you have taken your guests taste preferences into account and that you're spending your own money.
  • krcbkrcb member
    Yeah, I'm not a fan of any of the top (or the blue in the pattern). I like the idea with leaving the other two plain, thank you! So the roses don't appear to be tacky to you? 

And, yes, definitely taking others' preferences into account with the flavors! I just don't want an "ugly" cake!
  • Jen4948Jen4948 member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    The roses in the center tier do look a little busy.

I do like the scrolls and beads on the first and third tiers, and would do a matching design on the center tier and not have the blue tulle.  Then I think it would like nice and balanced.
  • lc07lc07 member
    krcb said:
    Yeah, I'm not a fan of any of the top (or the blue in the pattern). I like the idea with leaving the other two plain, thank you! So the roses don't appear to be tacky to you? 

And, yes, definitely taking others' preferences into account with the flavors! I just don't want an "ugly" cake!
    Not at all! I think they're really pretty.
  • I like lc07's idea.  I also like the roses.  Now if you did it on every tier then it could look a bit busy but by just doing it on one tier and keeping the rest plain then I am sure it would look fine.

• ElcaBElcaB member
    I feel like this cake looks like someone got confused. 

Either go all roses or all swirlies...but not both. Also, light the topper, tulle, and arch on fire. 
  • krcbkrcb member
    ElcaB said:
    I feel like this cake looks like someone got confused. 

Either go all roses or all swirlies...but not both. Also, light the topper, tulle, and arch on fire. 
    Thanks to everyone for your responses! I'll propose the idea of one tier being roses and the rest being plain to see how she feels. 

Also, @ElcaB, the lighting on fire part of your post made me laugh. That part of the cake truly is awful!
  • I like the roses, but I am also of the firm opinion that the taste is 200 times more important than how it looks!!
  • I would put the roses on the biggest tier and do something super simple (like dots) on the other tiers.  If everything is white on white I wouldn't mind the mix of roses and swirls, but I tend to like super simple cakes better.
    photo composite_14153800476219.jpg
  • I hate the topper, but otherwise I think that's a lovely cake!  It's not "busy" at all compared to alot of cakes I've seen.
  • I don't hate it with the roses, but I think I would like it better with it all being the same. 
    What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
  • I actually love it, minus the top blue tier.  Not too busy for me. I love the roses with the scrollwork.
  • I think it's fine, but I don't think the scroll work and the roses compliment each other personally.  And yeah, nix the horrid topper- good call.
  • I love those roses. I would consider doing roses on the top and the bottom and leaving the middle plain. I think it would look so pretty.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I like over the top fun so I'd have the whole cake covered in the roses lol. But I like the swirls too.
  • I too like the roses. I don't think it is too busy, although I prefer simple. As PPs mentioned, could you do one tier with roses and the other with a slightly more simple pattern? Or completely plain with a tier or two of roses?

Daisypath Anniversary tickers Daisypath Anniversary tickers

• Your Mom had her wedding already - if this is the cake YOU love - GO WITH IT!!  Really, it's cake, the most important detail is how mouth watering it tastes!!!

IMO, it's the (somewhat sloppy) execution of this particular cake picture that looks like it might be giving the challenge more than anything else in terms of decorator skill, but the design itself "works" and when nicely executed by a good decorator will look super classy.  If you like it, go with it - IMO, it's not too busy, I've seen FAR busier cakes and this also looks like it'd keep in a reasonable budget to take to any decorator. 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards