Chit Chat

Vow renewal, not what I had dreamed of but still a great night *(UPDATED with PICS)

Drewsgirl31Drewsgirl31 member
5 Love Its First Comment Name Dropper First Anniversary
edited June 2014 in Chit Chat
We started planning our renewal 2 years ago after we made it through a really hard time that almost led to our divorce. We thought it would be better to wait and do it for our 5th anniversary. All day yesterday was perfect, the ceremony went smoothly and was amazing, short and sweet. Just about everyone cried when we read our but most of our guests missed it due to an accident and we couldn't wait anymore. Fast forward to the ride to the party, I start getting sick and almost passed out. I get there and get out of my dress because I thought it was just too tight and I was over heated. I ended up doing our dance in a completely different dress and was taken to the hospital right after.

I was really dehydrated and caught some sort of bug. I missed our whole party :( definitely wasn't how I pictured our night going. However, they did get me out of the er about 30 minutes before the party was due to end. So my SIL helped me surprise me DH. She met me in the bathroom and helped me back into my dress and had the dj play our song. I walked up behind him, touched his back and when he turned around his expression and reaction were priceless. Everyone that was left lost it, my DH was sobbing, I was crying, not a dry eye in the building.

I'm still heartbroken I missed spending time with all of our family and friends, dancing the night away with my DH and our kids but from the pics I've been sent and what I've heard, everyone had a great time.

Note to lurkers, make sure you drink water ALL day along, eat and try not to catch a stomach bug :) I had 5 bags of fluid, 4 shots of nausea meds and an extra pill of it as I was leaving the er.

Re: Vow renewal, not what I had dreamed of but still a great night *(UPDATED with PICS)

• We started planning our renewal 2 years ago after we made it through a really hard time that almost led to our divorce. We thought it would be better to wait and do it for our 5th anniversary. All day yesterday was perfect, the ceremony went smoothly and was amazing, short and sweet. Just about everyone cried when we read our but most of our guests missed it due to an accident and we couldn't wait anymore. Fast forward to the ride to the party, I start getting sick and almost passed out. I get there and get out of my dress because I thought it was just too tight and I was over heated. I ended up doing our dance in a completely different dress and was taken to the hospital right after. I was really dehydrated and caught some sort of bug. I missed our whole party :( definitely wasn't how I pictured our night going. However, they did get me out of the er about 30 minutes before the party was due to end. So my SIL helped me surprise me DH. She met me in the bathroom and helped me back into my dress and had the dj play our song. I walked up behind him, touched his back and when he turned around his expression and reaction were priceless. Everyone that was left lost it, my DH was sobbing, I was crying, not a dry eye in the building. I'm still heartbroken I missed spending time with all of our family and friends, dancing the night away with my DH and our kids but from the pics I've been sent and what I've heard, everyone had a great time. Note to lurkers, make sure you drink water ALL day along, eat and try not to catch a stomach bug :) I had 5 bags of fluid, 4 shots of nausea meds and an extra pill of it as I was leaving the er.
    Let me get this straight... you've had a wedding and a vow renewal and you're still not happy? I just can't even. 
  • So sorry you got so sick, but I'm glad you had a beautiful vow renewal ceremony and got to spend some of the party with your DH, family, and friends. Hope you're feeling better!

Wedding Countdown Ticker

• I hope you are feeling better!  Sorry you ended up in the hospital; nobody wants that, ever, especially not on a day they've got something special going on!
    What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
  • I hope you are feeling better too!  While I am sure it is heartbreaking to have missed so much of the party, at least you got that "moment" when you surprised your DH when you got back.
  • loveislouderloveislouder member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited June 2014
    I'm sorry you were sick but the last part maid me awe out loud :)

ETA: Ew. I can't believe I put maid instead of made lol obviously in wedding mode. But I'm leaving it because it's funny.
  • Gah.  Sorry you got so sick.  Hope you feel better!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

"I'm not a rude bitch.  I'm ten rude bitches in a large coat."

• I hope you're feeling better!
  • I'm sorry you ended up in the hospital! I would be upset too if I got sick and couldn't participate in something that's been planned forever! I was all "aw" when I read your story though. I'm so glad you could come back and get in your dress when your H thought you were sick and not coming back. What a surprise! Quite a story, not the one you dreamed of, but quite the story nevertheless!

Hope you are feeling. Better, both physically and emotionally!

image   image   image

• I'm so sorry you had to deal with this! It just shows that no matter how much we plan, organize, or dream, things don't always turn out the way we'd like. I'm a strong believer in things are what we make of them. I'm glad that you tried to make the best of the situation, regardless of it being disappointing. You'll never be able to replace or redo the moment that he saw you back in your dress and I'm sure that it's something you'll both remember forever!

• FiancBFiancB member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    Aw I'm sorry! Even if it were just my birthday or something like that, I'd still be upset. It may not be your wedding but it's still something you had planned for a long time and was really looking forward to, and let's face it, getting that sick sucks no matter what. I am glad you had that moment with your H though! It'll take some time but eventually it will all just be a really good story. 
  • I'm sorry that your day didn't go as planned, but I'm happy that the ceremony went well and you had that lovely surprise moment with your H at the end. Definitely an "aww" moment!
    ~*~*~*~*~

• Thank you all, I feel better today although my stomach hasn't fully recovered so I'm thankful for the nausea pills they sent home with me.

And you're all so right, we're not in control of everything lol from the stories and pictures I've seen so far, everyone there had a great time, they said the food and cupcakes were amazing, the beer and drinks were, and the dj kept the dance floor filled until about 9:30 when a lot of the guest started leaving because of cranky little ones.

That moment with my H is truly a moment I'll never forget and I'm so thankful i was able to have that moment and that someone caught it on video and pics for me.

As far as him not coming to the H with me, I wouldn't let him. We had over 100 people there and because I went by squad we thought I would be back way sooner than I was. I had him stay to be with everyone that came to be with us and had my mom go with me instead. It was 100% my choice that he not come along.
  • I'm also having a vow renewal that will be one year in planning. My heart is breaking for you. I just can't imagine missing something so very important. It might not be our wedding, but it's still something dear to us and we certainly wouldn't want to miss it due to a stomach flu especially one that hits two minutes after the actual vow renewal. Huge hugs coming your way :(
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • You looked beautiful. I think it's all relative. I know a lot of the girls here say you'll be side eyed, yet all of my friends are begging me to take them dress shopping and I've had many friends do a formal vow renewal. This certainly won't be the first vow renewal among my circle.

I believe if people are really offended they won't come. 

And I don't know about you but we are not accepting gifts, if people even bring a gift we are saying no thank you and if they don't want to return it we are telling them to please donate it to someone in need. I think that makes a difference as well. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Thank you :) We did not expect any gifts nor did we have a gift table but we ended up with about 10 cards. We didn't know anything was in them to tell them no, but all but one did have cash or gift cards :/
  • You looked beautiful. I think it's all relative. I know a lot of the girls here say you'll be side eyed, yet all of my friends are begging me to take them dress shopping and I've had many friends do a formal vow renewal. This certainly won't be the first vow renewal among my circle.

I believe if people are really offended they won't come. 

And I don't know about you but we are not accepting gifts, if people even bring a gift we are saying no thank you and if they don't want to return it we are telling them to please donate it to someone in need. I think that makes a difference as well. 
    This is actually not correct etiquette.  It is rude to decline a gift someone brings.  I would feel very awkward if I bought a gift for someone and they told me to return it or donate it.  If you refuse to keep it, then you can donate it.  But if someone wants to buy you a gift, you need to accept it.  

SaveSave
  • And to OP--Sorry you got sick, but it looks like the day was still very special for you!  Congrats!

SaveSave
  • Thank you, it was very special
  • @Monkeysip good point, maybe we will give a heartfelt thanks and then donate it ourselves. The main point that we are trying to make is that this is not an occasion for us to be gift grabbers. It's a special day for us to throw a great party and invite our wonderful friends and family. They should not have to spend money on us.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • @Monkeysip good point, maybe we will give a heartfelt thanks and then donate it ourselves. The main point that we are trying to make is that this is not an occasion for us to be gift grabbers. It's a special day for us to throw a great party and invite our wonderful friends and family. They should not have to spend money on us.
    And that's a great way to look at it.  This day is about celebrating your marriage, not gifts.  Just pointing out that giving the gifts back isn't the appropriate way to deal with it.

SaveSave
  • You are beautiful! I don't side eye your dress at all. Everyone knew it was a vow renewal. Wear what you want!

If anyone continues to offer gifts, just say how generous of you, thank you for thinking of us, and accept the gift.

image   image   image

• You looked amazing!!! Congratulations- my biggest fear is being sick on my wedding day. I'm a healthy individual but I tend to get stomach bugs annually . Weird. So happy for you and your family! I'm wishing you guys nothing but the best :)
                                 Anniversary
    imageimageimage

• Thank goodness I wasn't sick for the wedding, but I almost always get sick on vacations!  I got a mild cold on the honeymoon (at least it wasn't a stomach bug!), and I've been sick on soooo many trips before, including my study abroad in Italy.  I always take tons of Vitamin C and try to wash my hands often... but it happens anyway!

SaveSave
  • So sorry you were not feeling well. I hope you are feeling better. You looked gorgeous in your gown.

Daisypath Anniversary tickers Daisypath Anniversary tickers

• ElcaBElcaB member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    I'm sorry you had a hiccup during your renewal, but you look beautiful & I'm glad it wasn't anything more severe. 

Congratulations!
  • I was puking ALL NIGHT the night before our wedding.  I only got about 1-2 hours of "sleep" the whole night...  I still felt like crap up until I put my dress on and then the adrenaline kicked in.

I'm sorry you were sick and missed most of the party.  I hope you are all back to normal now!
    photo composite_14153800476219.jpg
  • Awww, I'm sorry things got a little screwy, but it sounds like it ended on a great note--and you look absolutely beautiful despite feeling so terrible!
    Anniversary

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards