Wedding Woes

hotel event coordinator quits!!!

So, the hotel event coordinator that I have been working closely with for the better part of 10 months sent me an email yesterday saying that YESTERDAY was her last day and that she was going to Atlanta to pursue a better opportunity! She got a job offer and quit the same day! And her email came after the hotel's business hours were over for the day, which means she doesn't have to handle any questions, concerns, or complaints from her clients! That's shady as hell! Now I'm stressed because I'm getting married in VA but I'm a grad student in CT, and I won't be able to go down there until the week of the wedding, and I've never met or spoken to this person (the catering manager) who is supposed to be taking care of her clients until they can hire someone else! What happened to two weeks' notice???
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: hotel event coordinator quits!!!

• Call the hotel Monday, ask to speak to the catering manager, and make nice with her. 
    What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
  • 6fsn6fsn member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper Combo Breaker

Well, sometimes when people give two week's notice the company gives the person time to collect their stuff and leave.  I wouldn't be surprised if this happened.  Think of the havoc she could cause in 2 weeks if she was leaving on bad terms.

• Even if she gave a 2 week notice she would have been gone before your wedding... This just gives you more time to communicate with the person that will be handling your wedding.
  • My coordinator quit too and didn't tell me.  I found out through my officiant that my coordinator wanted to spend more time with her young son and the hours weren't working out for her at this position.  No notice.  Officiant told me a new gal started and a week later that gal reached out to me to introduce herself.  I wasn't even upset.  The wedding would get planned regardless.  

You know what you planned.   You still have time.  Talk to the catering manager after the dust settles a little.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers

• Oh how I love Friday afternoon notices :D

BTW, it is sometimes a regular practice for a company to not let outside clients know about a transition and to just have the new person ready to take over right where the last person left off. It's done especially if clients freak out over continuity or turnover. It gives the impression that your event is planned with the hotel as opposed to an individual.

Old coordinator may have very well put in the notice, but may not have been permitted to communicate it out except on a must-know basis (loose ends to tie up with other clients)

It's a little "rip the bandaid off". But you get over the initial shock and move on with the new person instead of panicking and not knowing who knows what, overcommunicating to death and potentially making a big mess.
    imageAlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • dharmabunny, I think that makes sense.  They don't want people to freak out and withdraw their bookings if they are given notice, but in the end people can get mad if they receive no notice at all.  Ideally, the overlap should be fairly seamless: "Hi, I'm Coordinator B, and taking over your file as Coordinator A is no longer available.  Let me know if you have any questions! etc"

• Our coordinator was just replaced too. She left for a different job, so we setup a meeting with the new coordinator and I'm excited to meet her Thursday. 
    Though I'm actually glad we got a younger coordinator, maybe she won't say things like "It's your day" and ignore FI as much.  Also this lady knows how to use Reply-all, so I already know it is an upgrade.  :)

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I am from VA, getting married in VA. My event coordinator quit on me also. I found out from my DJ that the coordinator knew she was leaving a month before she very impersonally sent me an email regarding her departure. She said there would be a new girl training with her for 3 days before she left. I requested the Food & Beverage coordinator take over as my coordinator and he accepted (THANK GOD). But at this point I just look at it as a blessing in disguise because I believe anyone who is actively searching for a job elsewhere is not going to show the proper attention to their current job. At this point two months out from my wedding...I just go with the flow.
  • I'm on my 3 event coordinator since booking our venue. :S

My advice. Make sure you keep all correspondence between you and the event coordinator. That way if they end up leaving or are replaced you have proof of what you and the previous coordinator have spoke about. Also, I agree, make nice with the new coordinator and let them know your vision!

• Thank you, ladies. I didn't "freak out" over her quitting, but I was shocked, devastated, and a little hurt (we got along so well, almost like we had known each other for years) that she didn't give me any warning and sent a very formal email. My florist had been working closely with her for some time, too, and she told me that she felt the same way. Thankfully, I keep everything, so I had all the paperwork and email correspondences saved. It was a good thing, too--the person taking over didn't have a record of my most recent my payment!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Ugh, mine just quit too.  That's 2 coordinators I have been through now.  This one was a friday night notice, but I know the girl she mentioned in the email that will be covering my account.  

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards