Not Engaged Yet

WR : bought the dress PIP

lilacck28lilacck28 member
First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its First Answer
edited June 2014 in Not Engaged Yet
So, I've been a little gun shy when it comes to posting pictures of myself on here but.... I bought a dress about 2 weeks ago! And I would love some feedback! So I just blurred my face a bit. Thanks photoshop!

Dress shopping was super fun at first, and then quickly got stressful. I went to 5 different places within about 3 weeks. I went to David's twice and the place I bought my dress three times (the day I bought the dress, I went back to the shop twice in between other appointments to try "the dress" on.) I liked so many dresses, but this one seemed to maybe stand out (and was under budget)? Or at least, it was different from the other dresses I tried on. My absolute favorite dresses in pictures have been Reem Acra dresses with short cap sleeves, little floral details, and flowy skirts. This one seemed to get close to that while staying in budget. And I was getting very confused and just wanted to get it over with! 

With my body shape, I expected to get a fuller a-line than this dress... but I'm also very short (5 feet even) and the consultant said this dress didn't over power me. Hoping she's right? It's a flowery embellished top, with a silk-satin skirt and chiffon overlay. 

Anyway, didn't get as enthusiastic of responses as I would have hoped from all family members. My FMIL LOVED it. She walked in right as I was trying it on the first time and said "that's it. It's meant to be" so that was very gratifying. My mom LOVED the price tag. She also said she feels like it suits my body and personality the best, but that her own taste tends towards things that are "less embellished, and more plain." But she maintains that she likes this dress for me the best. My grandma said "don't show anyone that picture. Your hair looks greasy" ha! Thanks! My neighbor also said she likes dresses that are more plain/ classic. And my dad said "I bet it will be perfect when you lose some weight." So.... feeling a little self conscious! 

Anyway, thoughts on the dress? And hair/ accesories? I think I like the veil and headpiece I'm wearing, or something like them. The consultant thought I should do an updo to bring the eye upwards and get some extra height. And having a cool neck for my May 24 wedding might be nice... but I don't want it to look too formal or stiff. The wedding will be a Sunday brunch reception. 

Oh! Obviously, this dress wasn't fitting me perfectly. The straps/ sleeves (when does a strap become a sleeve?) will lay flat rather then buckling the way they are here, and the belt I am wearing will be sewn onto the dress slightly differently. Rather than being straight across the way it appears in the picture, they will sew it to follow the embellishment of the bodice, higher in the middle, lower on the sides. I just couldn't hold it in the proper placement. 

Ahh, can't believe I bought it!

Re: WR : bought the dress PIP

• YAY!! Congratulations!! I think it's super pretty! I love that style.

*******************************************************************************************

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

• Congratulations! I love it!
  • Very pretty dress!!!!!! I think it looks great on you!!!

Wedding Countdown Ticker

image 59 Invited
    image 36 Yes
    image 2 No
    image 21 Unknown
  • SO pretty on you!
  • Dress looks pretty

Anniversary
  • You guys! Thank you!! 
  • Beautiful dress! I think it's very flattering, and I honestly think it's very classic looking and feminine. Sorry you're getting such mixed feedback from everyone :-\

• I love it!  The dress is really pretty and flattering, and and I like how your headpiece complements the top detail of the dress. 
  • I think that dress looks great on you! Very pretty.
    friends tv show funy
  • Congrats!!

• So pretty! I think it looks great on you, sorry to hear that you're getting mixed feedback from family.

Did you get the headpiece too? I agree with @travelcoffeemug0, it really complements the top of the dress

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Wedding Countdown Ticker

• Thank you all! It's so silly, but I needed to hear this! 

I didn't buy the veil or head band yet. Buying the dress and belt seemed like enough decisions for the day! But I might go back to get it, even though I was hoping to find one that wasn't another $100-$200! It does seem to suit the dress though, and I haven't seen less expensive alternatives that I like as much. Of course I've seen more expensive alternatives I like... but I'm not sure if I like those more than this one. So many decisions. 
  • I love it! I really like the detail on the bodice, and I think it will look awesome with the sleeves altered!

• I love it! That style is so classic and suits you perfectly. I think the skirt is my favorite part, but maybe you could try a petticoat if you'd like to be fuller?
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

• lilacck28lilacck28 member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its First Answer
    edited June 2014
    blabla89 said:
    I love it! That style is so classic and suits you perfectly. I think the skirt is my favorite part, but maybe you could try a petticoat if you'd like to be fuller?
    I might try one, but I loved how light and comfy it felt, and adding a petticoat would probalby take away from that. I'm so glad you like the skirt!! I initially felt like I would need some fullness to balance my wide shoulders/ broad chest (ugh.) and hide the tummy, but I think this slimmer a line is okay? 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards