Pre-wedding Parties

Halloween Engagement Party Ideas

We are having a Halloween Engagement party and I am looking for some cool ideas. Yes, my fiance and I are throwing the party ourselves and we are trying to stay on the cheap side, but still have fun with it. Any ideas are welcome!

Re: Halloween Engagement Party Ideas

• vsgalvsgal member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper First Comment
    edited December 2011
    You should not be throwing your own engagement party.  Someone else needs to be the host.  If no one offers on their own free will, then you don't get an engagement party.  They are not mandatory or necessary.

If you want a Halloween Party, then invite everyone to that.  Don't put anything wedding or engagement in the mix.  You can scour the internet for party planning sites.  They will offer inexpensive ideas for a Halloween Party.

Remember, don't call it an engagement party unless someone else is hosting and paying for it.
    ROCK IS KING!!
  • edited December 2011
    Why don't you just call it a Halloween party? Why does it have to be an engagement party? Are you trying to get gifts? Because a Halloween party I would not bring a gift to, but if I knew it was an engagement party I would probably bring a bottle of wine or something similar.

It's very rude to throw a party in your own honor, by the way.
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • uwf_cole23uwf_cole23 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011

You're going to get that response alot .. but just ignore them. Its your life.

.. She isnt asking "if she should throw a party or not" .. shes asking for advice on the actual party. Brides should stop putting the wedding "rules" into each question, and just answer the damn thing.

Haha but anyways ..

Maybe it would be cool to have your MOH and BM (if you already have them picked out) make a speech, welcoming everyone and reminding them its a engagement party/halloween party. Maybe even a costume contest, best couple, ect. That way you guys can talk to friends and they will congratulate you without that being the only reason they are there.

PS: I think its a good idea to combine parties, noone really wants to go and say "oh and ahhhh" that you are engaged all night, they will get to do that at your showers and weddings.

• banana468banana468 member
    First Answer First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Just remember uwf, people who aren't brides do follow proper etiquette.  So when advice is given, it's often to help prevent the OP from making a big mistake.
  • FutureDondadaFutureDondada member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_pre-wedding-parties_halloween-engagement-party-ideas?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:32Discussion:49537a45-ed50-4799-9097-ad2d27afdc3aPost:a1e75969-36dd-48f1-803a-dc6b13b7392d">Re: Halloween Engagement Party Ideas</a>:
    [QUOTE]You're going to get that response alot .. but just ignore them. Its your life. .. She isnt asking "if she should throw a party or not" .. shes asking for advice on the actual party. <strong>Brides should stop putting the wedding "rules" into each question, and just answer the damn thing.</strong> Haha but anyways .. Maybe it would be cool to have your MOH and BM (if you already have them picked out) make a speech, welcoming everyone and reminding them its a engagement party/halloween party. Maybe even a costume contest, best couple, ect. That way you guys can talk to friends and they will congratulate you without that being the only reason they are there. PS: I think its a good idea to combine parties, noone really wants to go and say "oh and ahhhh" that you are engaged all night, they will get to do that at your showers and weddings.
    Posted by uwf_cole23[/QUOTE]

Thank You!!! Holy crap. I get so irritated with the rules crap. Other brides are well aware of the rules but not every rule fits with every family. If I want to throw an engagement party then Im going to do so. Im asking my friends and family to come celebrate the fact that Im engaged. Its like throwing a housewarming party. I want everyone to see my new house, not necessarily asking for gifts. If you want to bring em, cool If not. Fine with me. My family and friends know that about me because they are MY family and MY friends.

Get over yourselves and just answer the f'n question at hand.
    May 2011-December Siggy My favorite registry item.
    (I managed to shatter the glass in our coffee table so we have none!)
    Photobucket
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • banana468banana468 member
    First Answer First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment
    edited December 2011
    FutureDondada, plenty of other people were able to respond without having to use modified profanity here.

And you may get tired of the rules, but that doesn't mean that if you ignore them then they stop existing.
  • edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_pre-wedding-parties_halloween-engagement-party-ideas?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:32Discussion:49537a45-ed50-4799-9097-ad2d27afdc3aPost:0b70afa1-f63d-4c1d-a09f-88c5984e2da8">Re: Halloween Engagement Party Ideas</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Halloween Engagement Party Ideas : Thank You!!! Holy crap. I get so irritated with the rules crap. Other brides are well aware of the rules but not every rule fits with every family. If I want to throw an engagement party then Im going to do so. Im asking my friends and family to come celebrate the fact that Im engaged. Its like throwing a housewarming party. I want everyone to see my new house, not necessarily asking for gifts. If you want to bring em, cool If not. Fine with me. My family and friends know that about me because they are MY family and MY friends. Get over yourselves and just answer the f'n question at hand.
    Posted by FutureDondada[/QUOTE]

Indeed Indeed!
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_pre-wedding-parties_halloween-engagement-party-ideas?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:32Discussion:49537a45-ed50-4799-9097-ad2d27afdc3aPost:effeb03c-c452-4540-b2b7-ba66f6a97322">Halloween Engagement Party Ideas</a>:
    [QUOTE]We are having a Halloween Engagement party and I am looking for some cool ideas. Yes, my fiance and I are throwing the party ourselves and we are trying to stay on the cheap side, but still have fun with it. Any ideas are welcome!
    Posted by lynze386[/QUOTE]

We're throwing a Halloween Engagement party too! My fiance and I have throw a Halloween party for the past two years and since we're getting married next October, we thought it would be fun to have a Halloween/engagement party this year. I know it's not "proper etiquette" to throw our own party but really... who doesn't love a good party with good food, good company and costumes?!

As far as different ideas go... We're doing appetizers and desserts. So meatballs, a cheese ball with crackers,  mini cheesecakes, vampire bite cupcakes, cake pops, etc. (I've gotten my ideas from years past, pinterest, and if you google "Halloween engagement party" there's some GREAT ideas there!)

Our invitations say "Till Death do us part" and I'm making little signs for the dessert table such as "love as first bite", and "eat drink and be scary". I'm carving a few pumpkins, one with Mr. & Mrs., one with his last name, and our wedding date. We're stringing lights up in the backyard... having a bonfire with smores... It's going to be great! My fiance and I are totally in our element when we're entertaining, so we're very excited! Happy planning!!
  • We're also throwing our own halloween engagement party (Hallowengagement Party!). I don't think it's very kind to be judgemental about people who are throwing their own parties. To begin, I don't think anyone really expects gifts at an engagement party. Secondly, I feel it's more about sharing our happiness with all of our friends, especially those we don't see often, as opposed to the narcissitic view that some other commenters have had on the situation. My family is on the opposite coast and I don't have friends who are able to throw me an engagement party, and so, with friends help, we are throwing our own. I don't consider it rude at all to want our friends to join us in our happiness. The only rude thing is to judge others for not being fortunate enough to have someone throw the party for them.

Ok, I'm off my soap box now. I hope you ladies had or will have fabulous Halloween engagement parties ;)
  • We're having a Halloween Engagement party too! And guess what.... WE'RE THROWING IT! You go girl! 
    We're doing a game-night, and we're pretty much going simple and easy. Evites.com has free Halloween themed evites that are very on point. Smilebox.com also has really cool ones. 
    The decorations can be minimal, and pretty easy. Search for ideas on Pinterest. Here is my board (just for starters): http://www.pinterest.com/lynnthompson21/engagement-party/

It seems pretty sad that people have to throw the rules in other peoples faces.... If you don't agree, then don't comment. Everybody should just try to be positive. And by the way.... rules are meant to be broken :) so quit trying to make people feel bad because you're not original. 

Good luck and congratulations!
  • @ltjbwedding this thread is three years old. I'm sure the original poster's engagement party is long over. Please find newer threads to contribute to.

@KnotPorscha, zombie.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards