October 2014 Weddings

What are you slacking on?

3 months 3 weeks 3 days for me! It's gotta be a good day, right?

I am totally slacking on my DIY projects. I still have to assemble my invites, write the envelopes, order the cake topper, make my card box, and I'm sure several other things I am forgetting. I will wait until next month to start on the invites, but I feel like I am dragging out the DIY stuff so that I have things to do coming up.

What are you procrastinating on?

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Re: What are you slacking on?

• labrolabro member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    I just started addressing and assembling invitations last night! So I guess I'm not slacking on that anymore. I still need to finish two tiny DIY projects I started in February. I also need to seriously order our accommodations cards before it's too late.

• @SaraBrideSoon I feel the exact same way! I keep putting off my DIY projects (and there aren't even that many of them) but I feel like I should get them done now while everything else is at a lull.

• @beachyone15 - It's so comforting to hear someone else mention that now is the time for DIY items while everything else is in a lull.  was really worried that the "lull" I was feeling was just that I was forgetting something major!  I have very few DIY projects that I've gotten lazy about.  My invitations aren't going to address themselves and before we know it, it will be crazy busy again!!!
  • Getting our invitations addressed and put together! Im a huge soccer fan and the world cup has been a major distraction :)

• @stphboyd, Same for me. I am taking the bar exam in July so all wedding stuff is halted until August 1st. It makes me nervous when I think about it so I try not to!
  • kebebbkebebb member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    At least you have an excuse! I am just lazy and easily overwhelmed. I go through spurts where I'm super productive and then I just quit for a couple weeks. Right now I'm in the "I'm done, I'm not having a wedding anymore because it's too much work" phase haha
    Good luck on your exam!
  • kla728kla728 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment Name Dropper
    Ya'll are so on top of things hahaha... I don't even have my DIY projects figured out, let alone started!  And we haven't ordered our invites yet, although that is #1 on the agenda currently.  I felt like I was slacking at the beginning of this month, because I pretty much didn't do anything for April & May, but have done some catch up.  We finally figured out flowers (been going back and forth with florist since Jan), got the tuxes ordered, scheduled our first menu consultation (w/the venue so just for planning purposes, not selecting a vendor), and designed the invites.  I'm done with grad school next week and will have my evenings back to think wedding things and DIY projects :)
  • @stphboyd I'm the same. I read the title of this post and I was like "everything" lol. I still have to do the invites, a bunch of DIY stuff, centerpieces, cake topper, transportation (we're trying to decide on what to do), welcome bags and favors. I'm probably forgetting a bunch right now :-/ it'll be fine.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

• The invites. I'm designing them and FI's having them printed up at work. But I reckon I've got until August, and if I try to do them now, I'll just keep changing my mind on things. Envelopes I need to order. And we still need to pick a vegetarian dish for the menu, and finalise that with the venue. I've got to work on our backdrop and ceremony decor, and FMIL (our baker) keeps trying to talk me into a massive 3-tier cake, when there's probably going to be 30 guests in total. I really can't do much as far as reception decor goes, until I know how many tables we're having, and whether we're doing square, long, or banquet style. But I do still have to finish the design for our bookmark favour/place cards... I should do that soon. It's easy enough to just add/drop to the file once I have the final guest list.
    imageDaisypath Friendship tickers
  • we sort of got sidetracked with our ceremony venue...aka the backyard.  We are landscaping it, taking down some trees, fence, and adding a new garage.  It all has to be done for October and we JUST broke ground today!!!

EEEEEEK...it looks terrible right now, but it will look awesome in the end

• mrsb53mrsb53 member
    5 Love Its First Comment Name Dropper First Anniversary
    I still have so much to do... We need to officially book our officiant, need to meet with the DJ to pick songs, need to meet with the photographer to design our guestbook, need to write vows and plan how the ceremony will go, need to create a registry, need to address and send invites, need to find a bakery to make a cake, need to decide on cake design, need to decide on groomsmen's outfits... and I'm sure there's more I'm forgetting. All the little things really do add up!
  • Flowers and invites. Right now I'm away from home for 4 weeks, so I can't really start on my invites until I get back...we have a few that need to get sent overseas, so I'm a bit worried about that. Oh well. Nothing I can do about it now!
  • I feel like I'm slacking on everything! Up until a week and a half ago, I was a June 2015 bride. We last minute decided to change our wedding to October 4, 2014...so I have tons to get done. Luckily, I'm not from a huge area, so most things are not booked up. We have our venue, I'm working out details that I'm hoping work with an officiate. I just found a caterer willing to not put onions in the sauces (Fiance is allergic), I bought my dress and veil yesterday. Tuxes are on hold. I just have tons of DIY and ordering to do...all the table linens, and such have to be ordered. My daughters flower girl dress, and the bridesmaids need to order their dresses. Biggest thing is I need to do invites, and cakes/flowers.
  • If you are looking for an officiant who will write a personalized ceremony with your ideal day in mind please write me at susconn@gmail.com

I have very reasonable and competitive rates and over ten years of experience.

Susannah Conn-Thomas
    @KnotPorscha, can we please get this vendor removed? Thank you!
  • This weekend, I address envelopes and put them all together. All that needs to be done is officially seal them! But before then, I'm going to have the FI run one up to the post office one last time to make sure that the stamps cover the weight. When we first got our invites, we found out we were overweight and had to double stamp exterior envelopes - so now I'm paranoid! Once he does that and we are in the clear, I can finally seal them up! 

I wouldnt say I'm slacking on a lot, since I have been trying to get everything done ahead of time - and I'm on great track! At the moment, there isnt anything I can think of that I physically need to buy for the reception and ceremony. According to The Knot's checklist, I need to start choosing Ceremony Readings, but I have no idea where to even begin with that!
  • kebebbkebebb member
    We made progress this weekend! Got our invitations figured out, so now we just need to print them. Got our food sorted out, cupcakes/cookies ordered, wedding cake ordered, picked out scripture for the ceremony, started talking about music for the reception. And the sad thing is, it only took us about an hour to get all that done. We've been putting it off for weeks.
  • Anything that is being slacked on requires FI and he puts things off to the last minute. I have some time so I'm not freaking out on him yet...

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I'm slacking on booking my honeymoon, shopping for my veil shoes and accessories, and some DIY projects for decor! 
  • Glad I'm not alone!
    Need to order invites, pick and order a cake topper, finish registry, confirm ceremony start time, figure out and book hair and makeup. FI needs to pick out wedding band so I can order it and figure out what he and groomsmen are wearing and get that ordered.

Ugh. I'm done with this semester of grad school in August so I'll be frantically trying to finish everything after that
  • So I've made serious progress! I've finished designing my invites, and got all of the paper ordered. Now I'm working on printing them out and putting them together.  I've booked my JP, figured out guys tux rentals (all but 2 of them have been fitted at this point). We've done a test run of our favors (chocolate molds). And I ordered the bags for our welcome bags. :-) It's funny though, I keep checking things off my to-do list but it keeps getting bigger!! UGH.  So ready for everything to be finished. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

• I'm slacking pretty bad on making a list of everything we haven't done and getting them done. So, I guest right now I'm not slacking on anything because nothing is on the list. ;)
  • LDay2014LDay2014 member
    edited July 2014
    we just decided on our honeymoon!!!
    We didn't want to spend any money to go away somewhere but wanted it to be special.
    FI and I have a special place in our hearts for Toronto - it's about 1.5hrs from us and is where we had our first date, where he asked me to be his GF, and where he proposed...so we used our travel miles to book $1000 worth of a 5* hotel for 3 nights - and it only cost us $83!  So, we will spend 3 nights there, go to medieval times, steamwhistle brewery, the ripley aquarium, and our favourite - walk up and down yonge street just browsing.  After that we will head up to the cottage (an hour north of us) for a few days of peace and quiet by the lake with a beer.

It really is very much a snapshot of who we are - we can be fancy, but also very low key.

CAN'T WAIT!!!!

Hotel:
    imageimage

Cottage:
  • you guys are way ahead of me! iI am not doing any diy stuff till oct. and my wedding is 10/10. just waiting for the end of august to put together and mail invites. iI seriously dont know what everyone is doing. so if iI am missing something let me know.
  • @jessica2426 that seems a long time to wait to send out your invites.  When is your RSVP date? I'm getting married 10/12 and I'm sending them out the first week of August with a Sept. 19 RSVP date.  My wedding is a destination wedding for most people--so I wanted to give them some lead time. 

Wedding Countdown Ticker

• my rsvp date is sept 20th. iI sent out STD's really 98% of  our guests are in town. iI think 6 weeks before is plenty of time. iI justfeel like everyone is doing stufflike every weekend and iI am not doing anything but going on wedding forums, lol. so iI just didnt know what iI am missing.
  • I'm not really slacking on anything...it's FI who is, although in reality he has time, he's just not operating on MY timeline so to me he's slacking. He hasn't gone to do his tux yet, and I have no clue when...just says he's going to sometime. He also said he's going to address his side of the guest invites, but has yet to do so and my side is done. We aren't sending them until the second week in August so he does have time.
  • I need to address invites. Third weekend I've told myself to sit and address but nothing yet. We got FIs ring in yesterday. £20 off Amazon. Waiting to hear back from my mom if she's arriving earlier. I'm hoping she does arrive s few days earlier. Haven't seen her since May 2012 and I need mom hugs :(

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Where should I even start. It would be faster to tell you what I have done than what I don't have done. LOL I have a dress and our rings. I have yet to print the invites or address them. I still don't have bridesmaids dresses picked out. I have started to shop for decorations but I haven't picked out exactly what I am doing with them. I do have a DJ, pays to work with one. I do have the officiant talked to again pays to know one and I think my parents are handling the food. Cake is a done deal since I'm getting my cake where I work. Maybe I am not as behind as I think.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • We are using potted mums as part of our centerpieces. While this isn't really me slacking - I've called greenhouses in the area, and everyone says they will have them on October 3rd... but no one can tell me the cost yet. I can't really commit to ordering 30 potted mums until I know if they'll be $10 each or $25 each or somewhere in between!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards