Wedding Etiquette Forum
Options

Update: We got married

Hi everyone!

I havent been on in a bit. Ive been avoiding most anything involving "wedding" things. We did get married May 24, as planned. I dont remember much. Not because I was intoxicated (think I had one drink) but because it was a very difficult day. My mother in laws body was found 4 days prior in the woods in the area where we had been searching. During a routine traffic stop an officer was down wind and followed the odor. We expected the worst but still, devastating. She wasn't physically identifiable just her personal belongings so we had to find her dentist for records.

Finally last week they made an official ID based on dental and now we wait for her to be released by medical examiner for cremation. We went out to the site a few says ago. Just me and my husband. I think it was the most saddest thing I have ever witnessed. With a stick, over and over again he dug threw the blackened leaves, dirt and bugs. Outlining her body. Figuring where her head, legs etc. were.  Eventually, I tried to encourage him to stop but he said,  "I just have to figure out how she laid so I can find where her heart was." He just wanted to know where her heart was within the outline of the horrific ground where she obviously decomposed. For me, everything went into slow motion then. I stepped back and saw the love of a grieving, desperate son. For me, the pain was so physical. A feeling so tangible within my heart. Seeing this man, my husband, who I couldnt help. I couldnt take his pain away. I couldnt make it all go away. I dont think I will ever get over those feelings-that moment. 

Its such a horrific situation that Im sure the grieving process is somewhat different then a "normal" loss. He is stronger then his family. They dont talk about it. His sister has offered no wishes, no advice for the memorial. She told us that she is leaving it to him.  He is having difficulty planning a memorial; nothing feels right. Hopefully once he does, we can have "official" closure and then start healing. There are moments of obvious pain and struggle yet he is "ok". His faith is so strong and that is obvious also. He amazes me. He is such a beautiful man.

We canceled our honeymoon. We didnt want to go and come home to plan a funeral. Now, because it is taking so long for them to release her, we arent sure we can even go away. I wont lie. I really do wish that we postponed. I didnt insist because he said that if we did, he would feel another thing was taken from him. I understood. I am so sad. A very deep sadness. I get mad too. I see my wedding gown and it makes me feel like I am going to vomit. I cant get rid of these feelings that take over me in waves.

There was a delay in wedding causing the timeline to shift (his father was too emotional) so the photographer scraped the after ceremony photos to catch sunset photos (not sure we got any). He said we would do family/bridal party photos during reception. We didnt. I dont know why other then I wasnt  at my best and didnt request them ( i know I shouldnt have had to) so we didnt get any pics with bridal party or our children or families. We should get photos in about 2 weeks. I am praying I am in the right "place" when we do so seeing them will give me some good feelings that will replace the bad.

One comfort I do feel is that we are now husband and wife. That is really what it is about. Not the 17 months of planning and those "perfects" that did not happen. I will have to let so much go and just really hold tight that we are now married...and he is my husband. Its all to be grieved.

I am sharing a photo that my son took over the photographers shoulder. To your left, look in the water. There are 3 crosses that were created by small ripples. I look at this often. It makes me feel good. To me, its very clear that God was with us that day...reminding us of His blessings. A beautiful symbol. How amazing too...a Pastor's wedding photo!

I just want to thank everyone of you for your thoughts, comments and prayers. My history here with you has been one of a safe place-a refuge and I will always be so appreciative and thankful. Blessings to you and yours from the bottom of my heart.

tinkerbell gif photo: Tinkerbell stuck in keyhole animated gif Peterpan2_coince9e.gif

Re: Update: We got married

• Options
    I'm so sorry for this update.  You are a strong, beautiful woman, and your family is in my thoughts and prayers.
    Anniversary

• Options
    Lam I'm so sorry for your loss. You, your DH and family are in my thoughts and prayers. Take care our yourselves and find solace in the good memories and love you have for her and each other.
    :kiss: ~xoxo~ :kiss:

• Options
    I am so sorry for your loss,. (((Hugs))))
  • Options
    edited June 2014
    LAM I am crying for you. I'm so sorry to hear how things turned out and hope you can all find the peace and closure that you need. I wish you and your husband a long, happy, healthy, wonderful marriage. He is blessed to have you help him through this.

• Options
    Sorry for your loss, LAM.
    What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
  • Options
    Oh, Lam. I'm so sorry. I wish I had some words of advice or some words of comfort. 
  • Options
    LAM-thank you for the update, I know many of us were wondering how you and your family were doing. I'm so sorry for your loss and I hope you and your husband find peace and healing. 
  • Options
    KaurisKauris member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    So, so very sorry for your, FI's and your family's loss. You all are in my thoughts and prayers. Thank you for updating.
  • Options
    I'm sorry for your loss.

Anniversary
  • Options
    That sucks. I'm sorry
  • Options
    I am glad you have closure at last.  Words cannot express how sad I feel for your loss.  Your wedding photo is beautiful.  That dress is gorgeous on you!  Someday the painful memories will soften with time, and you will be glad you had your wedding day.  God bless you both.

PS.  I waited 25 years for my special honeymoon style trip.  It was well worth the wait, and I don't regret it one bit!
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  • Options
    I'm sorry for your loss. Wishing you strength and the best in the days and months to come. You will be in my thoughts and prayers. 

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    I am sorry for your loss. All I can say is that "for better or worse" isn't a fake thing. You are clearly finding the "worse" out very early.

Weddings and marriages aren't all about the fun stuff, which you clearly understand in a way you should never have to.

All the best to you and your family. I can't imagine.
  • Options
    LAM, I am so sorry for your loss.  I am praying for you and your family.
  • Options
    LAM,  I'm very sorry for your loss.  I hope that closure for your H and you will help in time. 
  • Options
    I'm so sorry for you and your husband's loss.  I can't imagine how he must be feeling.  

You're definitely facing one of the hardest trials to start your marriage off with, but I pray it will bring you both closer together and make you stronger people.  In the future, you will be able to support each other no matter what life throws at you.

SaveSave
  • Options
    I'm so very sorry for your loss.
  • Options
    That picture with the crosses is truly amazing. God will give you the strength you need to get through this horrible situation.

Congrats on being married, and I hope you and your new husband will cherish each other all the more.

Best wishes and prayers for you and your family.

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

• Options
    I don't know you, but I've followed your posts on this, and I just want to let you know that y'all are in my prayers.

When the time is right (and only you and your husband can determine the right time) please consider grief counseling.  It really can help.

Until then, may the good Lord bless and keep you both.
  • Options
    Thank you for sharing, LAM. You have been missed by many here and have been in our thoughts and prayers. Congratulations on your wedding and for finding this wonderful man to share ever after with. May your faith sustain you at this time.
  • Options
    melbensomelbenso member
    First Anniversary First Answer 5 Love Its First Comment
    edited June 2014
    Congratulations on your marriage. Wishing you and your husband many years of happiness.

And I am terribly sorry for the loss of your mother in law. Shedding tears for you, your husband, and your family. *hugs* Remember that you are loved. May her memory be a blessing.
  • Options

I'm very sorry to hear about your MIL.  I hope that you and your husband will be able to find some closure, and most importantly, peace. 

• Options

I am so sorry for your loss. I work with families who have lost loved ones due to non-natural causes. I'm not in your area, but if you want to PM me, I might be able to help you find someone for you in your area or just be a sounding board for you.

That said, I am glad that you are finding strength in your very young marriage. In my line of work, "closure" can be a controversial word, so I wish you both peace of mind, body, and spirit.

Wheaton's Law: Don't be a dick.
  • Options
    I am so so so sorry to hear this. I can't even begin to imagine what you and your husband are going through. Know that you have many supporters here.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options
    I am so sorry for your loss. I hope you and your husband will find closure. 

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    I'm sorry for your family's loss. You are a strong and wonderful person. You and your DH are lucky to have each other through this time.

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

• Options
    I'm so sorry for your loss. Your husband is lucky to have you during this difficult time.
  • Options
    I'm so sorry for your family's loss. I am keeping you in my thoughts. 

That is a beautiful picture. 
    Anniversary

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards