October 2014 Weddings

When will you do your hair trial?

How far in advance will you be doing your hair trial?  I don't know who I will go to as of now since I will be getting ready at my parents' that day and don't think I should do it where I live, which are the opposite ends of town.  Not far, far away, but enough that it's best to go somewhere near my parents, IMO.  I don't want to worry about hitting unexpected traffic, and I would have to drive through the city to get from one end to the other.  I have several friends who live near my parents so I'm asking them for places to try.

Re: When will you do your hair trial?

• I'm doing bridal photos about a month before our wedding so I plan on having my hair and makeup trials then.

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

• I did mine back in march. It was FSIL's wedding, so I was getting all gussied up anyway. Also we're getting married in the same town (FI's hometown), where we don't travel to very often, so I needed to fit it in while we were there. Still waiting on pics from the wedding...
  • I am not going to get a hair trial :-( .  There are several reasons why I am not doing one:
    DW Wedding - cannot use the same stylist
    Unpredictable weather (if it's hot/humid/muggy I will do an updo, if it's a nice day I will do half up)

I MIGHT ask my FMIL to play with a few styles just so I can see how they look and get her opinion before hand.  Once upon a time she was a hair stylist (she actually was a hair stylist at a 'gentleman's club' for the 'dancers' at one time).

Anniversary
  • labrolabro member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    I did mine back in May because I'm paying for hair for all of my BMs, my mom, my FMIL, and the FG so I had to finalize the contract with the salon. Otherwise I was planning to wait til July to do it. May was probably a good time though...May weather for us is usually fairly similar to the weather we can expect in October so it was a good opportunity to make sure my hairstyle stayed in place and didn't do weird things.

• My salon will only do a hair trial within one month of the wedding, so I will be having mine sometime in September. 

I think they want to make sure the style we agree on is fresh in their minds, and make sure my hair and style ideas won't be changing much between the trial and the wedding day.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I will be doing mine the Tuesday before the wedding. 
    Anniversary
  • Ok, so folks are all over the board for various reasons.  I guess perhaps doing it closer to the wedding is best so the stylist has some memory of doing it! 

I'm just kind of stressing because I have naturally curly hair and I don't really know what to expect.  I know I want an updo and I don't know if they will curl it or leave it natural or what will look best.  I almost feel like if I were to leave it natural then I might as well just do my hair myself, as there's not much to be done other than pull it up. 

• labrolabro member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    They'll probably do some curling (even if it's natural) to help smooth out your hair and help it hold a particular style. I guess it just depends on how fancy you're going for. We took tons of photos at my trial so that my stylist would be able to reproduce it. My advice is just don't wait til the last minute...like a week or two out. I think getting your trial done a month or even two months in advance is totally ok.

• I plan on having my trial in mid-September for my October 4 wedding. I have the style I want, and have spoken with my stylist over the past couple of months. Luckily, my hair is easy to work with, so I have no issues with it being a bit later than everyone else on the forum.

Wedding Countdown Ticker

~Melissa
  • I've booked my hair and make up trials for Sept 20 for my Oct 31 wedding. Have also decided to have both hair and make up at the hotel day of. Was originally going to the salon across the street of the hotel...but why change out of my jammies?

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I'm going to try and do my hair and make-up trial the morning of my shower (8/2). That way I'll be all done up for my shower. two birds.
  • I will not be having a hair trial. I am one of those out-of-town brides (live in Florida, wedding in Maryland where I grew up) who will not have any time to go up there due to saving PTO time at work for the wedding/honeymoon. I was just up a couple weeks ago to talk with my hairstylist however, and I trust her to be able to get the job done the morning of the wedding. As for makeup trials, my MOH is a professional makeup artist, so I have that covered pretty well. :)
  • I was planning on getting my hair trial done when we went up to Napa (where we're getting married) for Fi's birthday…but we ended up not going to dinner and having the trip be more of a planning than a fun one.

But we are going up again in July (for our one year anniversary!) and will be going to nice a dinner (so I'll be doing hair/MU trials then so that I'll be all dolled up!). We are also getting our marriage license AND finalizing wedding plans (timing mostly). So it'll be a fun weekend!
  • I'm doing my trial sometime in august when I do my makeup trial.  Ideally I would do my makeup, hair and final fitting the same day but I don't think that's going to happen so it'll just have to be the makeup and hair.  I'm going to the same hair stylist that already does my hair so we've made a plan that I'm going to come in for the trial and then a week or 2 before the wedding come in and have it colored again. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

• kebebbkebebb member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    I'm the odd one out. I'm not doing a hair trial. Mostly because I have short hair and it's basically going to look the same as it does any other day, just with a fancier headband in. I'm also doing my own makeup, so I plan on working on different looks randomly over the next several weeks to nail down what I want to do.
  • @stphboyd‌ I might do my own makeup, I'm undecided. I have a friend who does wedding makeup for a side job, however she lives on the other side of the country and I just know her from growing up together so I asked her for product recommendations in case I opt to do my own.
  • @kebebb I am doing my own make-up and hair too! But that actually means I have had more hair trials than anyone else because I keep trying different styles while I figure out exactly what I want.
  • kebebbkebebb member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    That's the great thing about keeping my hair short. No need to worry about several hair trials. It's going to look the same on 10/4 as it does today. The makeup however, I will have about one million trials. I like playing with makeup anyway, so it's not really a hardship
  • Sk1015Sk1015 member
    First Comment First Anniversary
    I will be doing mine in August- Either before bridal shower or bachelorette party.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards