Wedding Recap and Withdrawal

displaying wedding photos

So my wedding date was April 10th and of course I want to display the photos! But after coming to a blog where people said it was "tacky" and nobody wants to see them...I am unsure as to putting them in the living room now. I wasn't going to get a poster or anything. Just a few prints of the new hubs and I. Maybe a few of the family. Does anyone think its tacky? Also do you think it should just be our pictures or should I throw some of the family in there too so it wont look as bad? Either way most of them are posed. I don't understand why pictures are so hard! lol

Re: displaying wedding photos

• If you designate an entire 18' wall to family portraits that is in your guests face right as they walk into your house, then yes, I would think that was tacky and a bit "look at us!"  But if you just have a few here and there then that is not tacky at all.  

H and I have about 6 pictures placed on floating shelves in our family room.  Two of them are of group shots with our wedding party, one is just of my bouquet and the other 3 are of just us.  I like it when people put up not only pictures of themselves but also group shots of family/friends.

• emmyg65emmyg65 member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited May 2014
    We hung several wedding photos on the wall of our stairway, most of our guests but some of just us. 

Miss Manners says its distasteful to display personal photos in the public areas of your home, but I think that's outdated and silly.
  • Whoever said it's tacky is a doofus. I like seeing people's wedding pictures! I wouldn't print them poster-size, but having them on display is fine. What kind of embittered weirdo would have a problem with a few wedding pictures? Yeesh.

Display away!
    My colors are "blood of my enemies" and "rage".

http://media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m3h1kr8sYk1qzve89.gif
  • Hubby said the same thing when I mentioned displaying some of our wedding photos. I told him lots of people do it! Since we plan on moving soon I figured I will bring it back up once we are in the new place!

Anniversary
  • It's our home and I'm going to post whatever photos I want. We have a few wedding photos through the house, but didn't go crazy either. The ones I have on our mantel get rotated in and out depending on how I happen to be decorating the mantel at the moment. I change the look almost monthly.
  • Unless you build a shrine to your wedding and keep it up for ever and ever and make every guest bow down before it you are okay. :) Right now we only have one picture up (16x20 in a custom mat and frame) but we are moving next week. We decided to wait until we had a new house before printing anything other than our album. Once we get into the new house we can decide if we want anything more than what we have. I would like to get one poster sized print of us outside in the snow to hang somewhere.
    photo composite_14153800476219.jpg
  • JMalettasJMalettas member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    edited May 2014
     I see nothing wrong with having pics from your wedding, displayed in your home! I don't see why anyone would say it's distasteful, or tacky. 

That being said, what's kind of "sad", is H and I have been married for just over 9 months now, and we have NO wedding pictures hung in our house yet! (In my defense, we "did" buy a house, and move in Dec. Which was a good excuse for a while). We have a couple of professional engagement pics up, and even a framed picture from our last trip in February, but some how haven't managed to get around to framing wedding pictures. I have no clue why, other than we're busy, and otherwise, apparently lazy. We've even had friends laugh at the fact that we have a framed picture from our last trip, but no framed wedding pictures around. I "need" to get on this! :P! 

One thing we did do though, is display some of our wedding "stuff". We have one of our centerpieces we kept, on a shelf, by one of our entrances. We have our engraved champagne flutes on a shelving unit, & we made a beautiful guest seating chart, that we had displayed at the wedding, that we hung in our kitchen. So there's some proof that there might have been a wedding at some point! (Lol). 

I say it's your house, and your space, and unless you're making people look at every picture like a tour, there's nothing wrong with displaying what you want! 

*J
  • That's just silly talk! Whoever wrote that blog took some personal issues they had and tried to make them sound mainstream. I think the majority of people in the world put up personal pictures in areas of their house where *gasp* visiting people might see them! Personally I like seeing pictures up in peoples homes. They can be nice conversation starters, or things to look at if the host is called away for a moment. And these places are our homes for goodness sake! Not the outside of our house, or our work place! We can decorate it how we chose, and most people like to see see happy memories, and pictures of loves ones all around.

Now yes, literally shoving pictures in guests faces... well that's obviously rude. Making a giant one like Scarlet's in Gone With the Wind over the mantle... ok, that would look a little self obsessed. But even quite a lot placed nicely about the room and walls.. I would question the person walking in and bothering to take issue with that rather than the person displaying them.
  • Do you still live with your parents or others? Do you rent out your home?  Are you running for political office? Are you an interior decorator and often show off your home? 

If you answered no to all of these, then its your home. Do whatever you and your husband want. 

We have a weapon wall in our house because its our house. I don't care if its tacky. Our friends and family aren't shallow/rude enough to judge us for it.    ...No, we don't have kids and yes, we keep other's kids away from it. 
  • leelabear said:
    Do you still live with your parents or others? Do you rent out your home?  Are you running for political office? Are you an interior decorator and often show off your home? 

If you answered no to all of these, then its your home. Do whatever you and your husband want. 

We have a weapon wall in our house because its our house. I don't care if its tacky. Our friends and family aren't shallow/rude enough to judge us for it.    ...No, we don't have kids and yes, we keep other's kids away from it.
    That you know of. Most friends and family members wouldn't be so crass as to actually tell you that they think your wall of weapons is tacky or that they think having such a display is over the top and ridiculous (I am not saying that is my opinion of it, just saying that some people could have that opinion and you not even know it), but I am sure a few of them have thought it. Doesn't make them bad people nor does it make them rude, it just isn't their style and they are allowed to have that opinion.

• I don't see how that's tacky. I mean, unless you're planning on a giant mural.
  • CMGragainCMGragain member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited June 2014
    Queen Victoria was very fond of displaying photos of her many children.  (Photography wasn't invented when she was married.)  She even had their hands modeled in marble by a famous sculptor.
    I think Queen Victoria trumps Miss Manners!  Display your photos, and be proud!
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  • MegEn1MegEn1 member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its First Answer
    Not even married, and we have an entire wall dedicated to photos. On the right are photos of him and his family, on the left of me and mine. In the middle is a giant antique map of the city where we live now and where we met. Tacky? Cheesy? WHO CARE THIS IS MY LIFE AND THIS IS MY WALL! And we get complimented on it all the time.

I intend to get a few of my favorite prints framed for that wall (two or three) and put one in the bedroom, and then sprinkle some around the vacation house which right now has no decor. Not all of us, mind you, but of friends, family, etc. You paid a lot for that photographer, right?

Also, the close family will each be getting a print or two and maybe a coffee table book. Because family loves that. And, to be fair, when I go over a friend's house and they have one from their wedding, I like to flip through. So.

Achievement Unlocked: Survived Your Wedding! 
  • @leelabear I have an "armory".  I would like to have a weapon wall, but the walls in my place sort of suck, and probably couldn't take the weight of the weapons I would want to hang up.  So instead, I have a number of weapons and my SO suits of armour displayed in a room.  So it sounds like you and I have similar decorating tendencies - cool!

• @kerbohl, that is awesome. Suit of Armour you say? I know what we are adding to our gift registry. 

"Did we just become best friends?" - Step Brothers
  • @leelabear Yes, yes I believe we did.  When I first saw my husband's suit of armour, that was basically the moment when I decided that I should definitely marry him.  There's something alluring about having steel plate in your bedroom. 

• I think it's wonderful to put up wedding photos, as long as your house doesn't become a shrine to your wedding day with wedding photos on every wall. Your photos & decoration need to show that you have a life beyond just that one day, but there is nothing wrong with including that big day in your decoration.  Besides, it's your house, so who cares?  You are the one that has to look at it everyday so do what you want. Besides, what is the point of paying for all those photos if they aren't going to be seen ever.

We do have a large post size print that we plan to put up in our living room.  Then we have a couple walls in our house that have several frames of various family photos, so we will likely change out some of those with more recent family photos from the wedding.  Then, my husband wants to buy a new tv to put up in the living room to use as a digital photo frame (except during football season when it will be also used to watch multiple football games).  I personally love the idea. But, we won't have it just for wedding photos. It will be used to display all of our photos, vacation photos & family photos (pre & post wedding) and will continuously be updated to add new photos to it.  He just found a tv he likes that has a built-in timer so he can have it automatically turn on & off at certain times (basically just on while we are home).  And I'm thinking we may at some point connect it to our computer to make it an overall media computer for downloaded movies, music, photos, etc.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards