Destination Weddings Discussions

Destination Location Trouble..

My fiancé and I have decided to have a destination wedding but I'm struggling with a location.  I've been to Mexico a few times for vacation so I'd like to go somewhere in the Caribbean.  Nothing against Mexico, but I just envision it being a party place rather than somewhere peaceful and picturesque, but its maybe more affordable for guests?  The Caribbean is absolutely beautiful and I went on a cruise for a friends wedding and loved those beaches.  But they're more expensive for guests? 

We are planning on April 2015.  If you've been married or were a guest in either locations, please provide any insight for me.  I want to avoid a typical wedding, but I don't want to go somewhere that family won't make it. I don't want my fiancé to get married without his brothers around because we are asking too much from them financially.

I also need a family-friendly locations because kids will be there (and we have a son that will be going).

Thank you

Re: Destination Location Trouble..

• What about Puerto Rico? I have been there 3 times, I love San Juan, and my fiancé and I are planning our wedding in PR. A cruise is a good option, because they offer free child care, and all meals are included. Nights definitely offer a party atmosphere  on board!
  • If you go about a half hour or so outside of Cancun to Playa del Carmen and Riviera Maya in Mexico it can be more peaceful and just as beautiful
  • I've been to Caribbean destination weddings in Costa Rica (RIU - family friendly) and Jamaica (Sandals - adults only), and I'm having my own wedding at Moon Palace in Cancun!

Each destination wedding I've been to has been amazing. I like the all inclusive resorts because it's less hassle for guests and more of a vacation where everyone can eat, drink, relax and have a great time. 

Some of the resorts in Cancun cater to the party crowd but Moon Palace in particular does a lot of weddings and has a lot of family friendly features such kids club, dolphinarium, and 24-hole golf, among other things. That's why we ended up picking it! If you have enough people going you can take advantage of features like free cocktail hour, free reception, etc.
  • Honestly, it depends on where in Mexico you go. There are some incredibly picturesque, non-beach party places. Try different haciendas,  like the Hacienda Sepulveda in Jalisco (http://www.haciendasepulveda.com.mx/web_esp/index.php) or the insanely gorgeous San Miguel de Allende (where I am getting married and my family is actually from).

There are many gorgeous locations in Mexico that get are wonderful examples of colonial architecture and are good alternatives to beach party places. 
  • Oh and I am also an April 2015 bride!
  • I've been to Caribbean destination weddings in Costa Rica (RIU - family friendly) and Jamaica (Sandals - adults only), and I'm having my own wedding at Moon Palace in Cancun!

Each destination wedding I've been to has been amazing. I like the all inclusive resorts because it's less hassle for guests and more of a vacation where everyone can eat, drink, relax and have a great time. 

Some of the resorts in Cancun cater to the party crowd but Moon Palace in particular does a lot of weddings and has a lot of family friendly features such kids club, dolphinarium, and 24-hole golf, among other things. That's why we ended up picking it! If you have enough people going you can take advantage of features like free cocktail hour, free reception, etc.
    We are checking out Moon Palace July 14th! Have you already checked it out?
  • I agree that Puerto Rico is a great choice and not too common as yet. I haven't been a guest at a wedding there but I hear it's amazing. If you want Caribbean vibes but not the cost for family and friends, what about the Florida keys/Key west? Easy and cheap to get to and beautiful and laid back.

@jsparrow10 I went to a wedding at moon palace a few years ago and it was really nice. Cocktail parties before the big day, things to do on the resort, beautiful rehearsal dinner, and we even had a mini hen do for the bride at the neighbouring club. Only thing was that on the day I believe hers was one of about 5 weddings happening on the resort. But that doesn't really matter, I'd you don't mind!x
  • Thanks guys! We've decided on Barceló Bavaro Palace Deluxe in Punta Cana, DR...

Now the planning begins... I'm struggling with the wedding packages (not enugh guests included in packages)... so we'll figure that out...

If you have any suggestions or money-saving ideas ... let me know :)

• Rachel, can you share why you chose Barcelo Bavaro? And did you look into the Paradisus? We're torn between the 2 - or the Florida Keys. Seems the actual venue selection is the hardest part.. it's been a source of most of my stress!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • According to me, You should hire an Indian wedding planner and chose a best Destination In India It may be In your budget and Amazing also. The location is such a big issue for Destination Wedding but here you have choice for everything like weather and  locations like Hills, Beaches, Palaces and Tempe also. In now days Temple wedding is such a great experience in India. 

WTF? Nothing says affordable like flying to India.

@KnotPorscha- this is a vendor

• I am getting married at Sandals Grande Riviera in Jamaica. Their sister resort beaches is a family friendly resort. You should check out the locations and wedding packages that they offer.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • You could also hire a local wedding planer that could offer you alternative options than the ones you find at the hotel. It is usually more affordable to go that way.
  • I saw a beautiful wedding at Coco Bay in Antigua- its everything your looking for- check it ou!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards