Wedding Reception Forum
Options

Would it be weird to have brunch/breakfast food for dinner at an evening reception?

I love breakfast food (and I've read it's cheaper), would it be inappropriate to have "breakfast for dinner" for a normal dinner hour reception meal? Also, our plan is to have a beer and wine only bar, would that still fit with the breakfast idea dinner? 

Re: Would it be weird to have brunch/breakfast food for dinner at an evening reception?

• Options
    As long as the food is plentiful...I don't care what it is. And I love breakfast for dinner. 

Beer and wine might not go great with breakfast food (depending on what you're serving). Maybe add a mimosa bar? I'm guessing others will have better ideas. But I'm good with french toast any time of the day.
  • Options
    Love mimosas! And is this a gif from "The Guild"? totally awesome btw.
  • Options
    Well. Honestly, yes, it's kind of weird. I wouldn't complain about it, because I was raised to eat what I'm offered and say thank you, and I have definitely eaten breakfast for dinner at home. But it seems pretty random. So it's not rude. Just a little weird.
  • Options
    Love mimosas! And is this a gif from "The Guild"? totally awesome btw.
    Oh also Irish coffees are awesome with breakfast food.

I...have no idea. Someone I work with found it for me and I love Felicia Day and also booze so it worked. :)
  • Options
    edited June 2014
    Felicia Day is awesome and your coworker is a hero (sorry ADD, this was about wedding food and my brain geeked out). Irish coffees may keep the party going and people warm in early May, not a bad idea.
  • Options
    Well. Honestly, yes, it's kind of weird. I wouldn't complain about it, because I was raised to eat what I'm offered and say thank you, and I have definitely eaten breakfast for dinner at home. But it seems pretty random. So it's not rude. Just a little weird.
    This. If you want breakfast type foods I feel like it would be more appropriate having a breakfast,brunch or lunch time wedding.

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • Options
    I'd side eye an evening wedding serving breakfast foods.  I would eat it and not say anything negative to you about it, but I'd be disappointed I had to eat eggs instead of steak. 

If you want to serve breakfast foods, have a morning wedding.  I also think if you're going to do breakfast foods and a limited bar, your options should include mimosas and spiked coffee/hot chocolate/tea.
  • Options
    I, too, love breakfast for dinner. But yes, if I were at an event where this was happening, I would find it strange.
    What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
  • Options
    jules3964jules3964 member
    First Comment 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited June 2014

My friend had a breakfast-for-dinner reception. She was really excited about it, but I'm pretty sure the decision was made mainly for cost. *I* enjoyed it, because I enjoy breakfast foods, but I overheard a lot of people grumbling. Especially at the bar—the wedding was at a brewery, and beer doesn't really go well with breakfast.

I agree with PPs who suggested a morning or lunch reception. And definitely serve mimosas if there is alcohol.

• Options
    I think most of your guests will be expecting dinner food.  If you really want to serve breakfast/brunch food, why not have a late morning ceremony and a mid-day reception?
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  • Options
    I like breakfast for dinner.  I would eat the food but I'd definitely find it a bit odd.  

This would be really cool as an additional option for a late-night snack after regular dinner and dessert have been served.  French toast sticks, hash browns, coffee.  I would totally love that.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

"I'm not a rude bitch.  I'm ten rude bitches in a large coat."

• Options
    A friend of mine had one of these, BUT they didn't ONLY serve breakfast.  They had some dinner items available too.

That, I think, works well.  But I wouldn't do just breakfast foods for a dinner reception.  I'm actually not a big fan of breakfast foods (I know--I'm weird!).

SaveSave
  • Options
    I like breakfast for dinner.  I would eat the food but I'd definitely find it a bit odd.  

This would be really cool as an additional option for a late-night snack after regular dinner and dessert have been served.  French toast sticks, hash browns, coffee.  I would totally love that.
    Oooh I like the idea of breakfast foods for a late-night snack!  After a night of dancing/drinking/celebrating, I would totally nosh on some hash browns.  Mmmm.
    Anniversary

• Options
        I LOVE breakfast for dinner. I would love to serve waffles for my wedding dinner. That said, if you venture from the standard wedding fare of Chicken, beef and fish you will get side eyes. People seem to expect certain things at weddings and if you deviate, even if it's not considered rude, someone WILL side-eye it. 

If you have a thick enough skin for the side-eyes I say go for it. Technically, you aren't doing anything against etiquette. 
  • Options
    I would only side eye if you were having a formal wedding. If you were having a more casual affair I would fucking love this! Hell even if I was in a ballgown I would dig into a plate of pancakes like no one's business. I would however, probably do more of a brunch type food choice so that those that want sweet breakfast foods can have them but people who would prefer meat and potatoes can have that too.

• Options
    I like breakfast food, but it would seem odd at a formal evening wedding unless it were only some of the offerings.
  • Options
    FI was reading over my shoulder and is chuckling that part of the problem seems to be the wine and beer doesn't go well. He pointed out we have had beer with breakfast the last 3 Saturdays.
  • Options
    You could incorporate some breakfast items in "dinner" ways:
    Steak and eggs.
    Chicken and waffles.
    Croque madame.
    Quiche.
    Crepes (or a crepe bar).

But I don't think that any of this is really cost-saving, but if you're really into the food then those are some ideas to think about.
  • Options
    I hate to be the nay-sayer in the thread, but here goes: I hate breakfast for dinner. Dinner is the best meal, breakfast is the worst. I've waited all day for dinner, I don't want a repeat of breakfast. Even the breakfast foods I really like, I would not like at dinner. If you really want to do breakfast, I suggest doing a morning ceremony and then serving brunch. I would be happy to eat breakfast then.
  • Options
    I like breakfast for dinner....at home.  At a wedding reception, I would find it a bit strange.
  • Options
    Two words: Ba. Con.
  • Options
    I hate to be the nay-sayer in the thread, but here goes: I hate breakfast for dinner. Dinner is the best meal, breakfast is the worst. I've waited all day for dinner, I don't want a repeat of breakfast. Even the breakfast foods I really like, I would not like at dinner. If you really want to do breakfast, I suggest doing a morning ceremony and then serving brunch. I would be happy to eat breakfast then.
    This would be so me. 

I would be polite, but not thrilled about the idea.

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • Options
    I love breakfast for dinner (and I made homemade waffles for lunch today, but mostly because I didn't get out of bed til after 10), but being cheap is definitely part of the appeal. I would think it was weird at a wedding and know you were trying to save money. Nothing wrong with being weird and cheap, as long as it doesn't bother you knowing people may be thinking that, and you're hosting people adequately.

Also, beer and wine only would mean no bloody mary bar, and that would make me sad.

• Options
    I guess what I wonder most is this: if you love breakfast food, why not have a morning/ brunch reception? I would be tickled with a Bloody Mary/ Mimosa/ waffle/ bacony thing early in the day. 

• Options
    Breakfast for dinner is totally kickass for a casual thing with friends at home, especially if everyone is spending the night.

But at an evening reception? Eh. It's not rude, everyone is hosted, but it would be very weird to me. To me, breakfast is a casual meal. Brunch is fancier, but brunch is for brunch time, with certain brunch foods and drinks.

And brunch foods are usually heavier and not my fave before dancing.

• Options

If you wanted to forgo the evening reception, brunch weddings are super fun! My bestie just had a brunch reception, and it allowed her to save money on a really spectacular venue by booking it for the morning and early afternoon. There was even still dancing and a DJ. And everyone got tipsy on mimosas and bloody marys. I was worried that "day dancing" would be awkward and ridiculous, but everyone was into it. After the wedding wrapped up around 3pm, the couple's parents and grandparents went out to drinks and an early dinner together, while all the youngin's went to a local dive bar in our fancy getups, cranked up the jukebox, and continued dancing. It was great!

But serving brunch foods at a dinner reception, I'm not sure I'd be into it. But then, when I attend the weddings' of my closest and funnest friends and family, everything quirky seems fantastic and unique and fun! It's when I attend the weddings of acquaintences or people who are not my favorite that I'm annoyed by things like this. In otherwords, your loved ones will support your wedding and love it no matter what you do! But your FMIL's cranky neighbor that you are forced to invite will probably complain.

• Options
    Another vote for love breakfast for dinner at home, but would think it was weird at something like a wedding reception. 

I love brunch weddings and I don't think there are enough of them! If you love this menu, have a late morning wedding and a brunch reception. 
    *********************************************************************************

• Options
    Unusual but not bad! I loved breakfast for dinner in the college cafe! Spiked juices would go well with the theme too, I think. (OJ + vodka is pretty good)

Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards