Wedding Etiquette Forum

I mind the gap!

So we're going to a wedding this weekend that is having a pointless gap (pointless because the ceremony is starting late enough that it could have gone right into a lovely 4pm cocktail hour).  I'm estimating we'll have at least 2 hours to kill - just enough time to get bored, but not enough time to go out and do something.  This realization among my family members has led to many discussions about what we can do to pass the time. 

Here are our options so far:

- Use the time for a costume change.  My idea of daytime formal is very different from evening formal, and I want to be proper for the time of day, right?

- Bring bottles of wine with us and sit in the lobby of the hotel drinking until we are allowed to board the transportation to go to the reception site.

- Go get some food somewhere because if the cocktail hour doesn't start until 6:30, we probably won't have dinner until 8pm or later. 

Any other thoughts or suggestions?  This is why I HATE gaps. 

Re: I mind the gap!

• lilacck28lilacck28 member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its First Answer
    edited June 2014
    Charades. 
  • Uh happy hour, obviously!
  • Hit up a bar. Actually, I'd be more likely to go to a restaurant to get dinner because I'm a vegetarian and usually don't have many food options so I get really hungry. I think an outfit change is acceptable as a lot of brides do it, even without a gap. I might actually change into a costume for the hell of it, depending on how drunk I got when packing (if traveling) or how many drinks I had in between the ceremony and reception.

• Hit up a bar.  That is mine plan for the one I have in the fall.

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • NymeruNymeru member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment Name Dropper
    Get something to eat and drink and change your clothes.  It sounds like you'll have plenty of time.
  • I've always handled gaps by going to a bar/restaurant and having an appetizer and a drink. :)
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Hate gaps!  Went to a wedding with an ex one time and he was in the wedding party so not only was there a gap, he had to leave during the gap to take pictures with the B&G.  I knew no one at the wedding so I ended up just going shopping at a nearby mall.  If you can find a bar/restaurant, I would recommend that.
  • Have a nap, afternoon delight, photo bomb the pictures, find a bar....

Unhosted gaps need to go the way of the dinosaurs.
    *********************************************************************************

• I'd definitely be drinking.

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

• In all honesty, FI and I are invited to a wedding that will be the same day as Major Horse Race (not going to get too specific- anonymous boards and all). 

We learned there will be a gap. Major Horse Races are normally late afternoon, so we are going to hit an OTB!  Mint juleps, anyone?  

• We usually pass Gap Time by going to the bar, but I like the wine in the lobby plan! Although a snack would probably be a good idea in case you do eat later.
  • I'd probably head to a bar and grab a drink and appetizer, but I love the idea of drinking in the hotel lobby too.

I'd be tempted to skip the ceremony, but I enjoy them so I'd probably still go.  I've been fortunate enough not to go to a wedding with a gap, and several of them have been Catholic, so it CAN be done lurkers!  4pm cocktail hours rock.
  • Thanks ladies!  Yes, my frustration comes from the fact that this couple seems to have one of the lucky few Catholic weddings that starts later in the afternoon, and there is absolutely NO NEED for a gap to still have an evening event.         

My elderly grandparents are riding with us between events, it's 4 hours away, and we can't check into the hotel prior to the ceremony.  Bring on the day drinking...  

• I like day drinking.    DH would take the afternoon off and we would go bar hoping walking around the neighborhood. Fun times.   

Not as much fun when you have an obligation later in the day, unless you are with other guests in the same boat.   

Do your grandparents drink?  Mine all did.   Some of my favorite times are drinking with my elderly family memebers.  They are a hoot.

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • lyndausvi said:
    I like day drinking.    DH would take the afternoon off and we would go bar hoping walking around the neighborhood. Fun times.   

Not as much fun when you have an obligation later in the day, unless you are with other guests in the same boat.   

Do your grandparents drink?  Mine all did.   Some of my favorite times are drinking with my elderly family memebers.  They are a hoot.
    Nope, grandparents on this side of the family do not drink nor like the fact we drink. 

It would be a totally different game on the other side of the family.  My other grandmother asked me to make a screwdriver for her and then complained that it wasn't transparent.  :-) 
  • I hope you ended up drinking and it makes the B+G mad that people showed up tipsy. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

• lyndausvi said:
    I like day drinking.    DH would take the afternoon off and we would go bar hoping walking around the neighborhood. Fun times.   

Nope, grandparents on this side of the family do not drink nor like the fact we drink. 

It would be a totally different game on the other side of the family.  My other grandmother asked me to make a screwdriver for her and then complained that it wasn't transparent.  :-) 
    I can't relate.   I don't have any sides that do not drink.  

Hosting to my grandparents was very, very important.  The minute you walked in the door they were offering you a cocktail.  If you were lucky she just made crab cakes or cookies.   Well they were on a fixed income and didn't have much.   Even my dad (their son-in-law) deposited a few hundred bucks in their account once a month from his paycheck to help out.    So for xmas my cousins and me would buy them cases of beer, bottles of gin and whiskey.  They would store the beer under grandpop's bed, liquor in their closet (the lived in a small 2 bedroom apt).     That way they could still be good hosts when anyone popped in.      Good memories.

• lyndausvi said:
    lyndausvi said:

Hosting to my grandparents was very, very important.  The minute you walked in the door they were offering you a cocktail.  If you were lucky she just made crab cakes or cookies.   Well they were on a fixed income and didn't have much.   Even my dad (their son-in-law) deposited a few hundred bucks in their account once a month from his paycheck to help out.    So for xmas my cousins and me would buy them cases of beer, bottles of gin and whiskey.  They would store the beer under grandpop's bed, liquor in their closet (the lived in a small 2 bedroom apt).     That way they could still be good hosts when anyone popped in.      Good memories.
    That's really adorable.  My grandmother has this huge bottle of Grey Goose from when it first came out 20 years ago or so.  We have made quite a dent in it over the years - I'm her vodka buddy.  I think it's still in her dining room china cabinet.      
  • Aray82Aray82 member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    My extended family is big on both gaps and costume changes...before the ceremony you can hear everyone around you whispering about changes of hairstyles and dress for the later reception. But if you're doing a costume change, why not go all out and do an actual costume: super hero, French maid...there's gotta be a Party City nearby, right?
  • lyndausvi said:
    lyndausvi said:

This brought a smile to my face, that's a really cool story :)
  • annathy03 said:
    lyndausvi said:
    lyndausvi said:

**** SITB ***

thanks.  It was fun.  Of course these days people would be horrified at an 8 year old grabbing beer for grandma and pouring it perfectly into her glass bottom frosted mug.  But I wouldn't trade those memories for the world.  It also was the start of me learning what a good host was and how you didn't need to be rich to be one.

• annathy03 said:
    lyndausvi said:
    lyndausvi said:

**** SITB ***

thanks.  It was fun.  Of course these days people would be horrified at an 8 year old grabbing beer for grandma and pouring it perfectly into her glass bottom frosted mug.  But I wouldn't trade those memories for the world.  It also was the start of me learning what a good host was and how you didn't need to be rich to be one.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards