Chit Chat

NWR:For those who have purple hair/highlights or know about hair dye

So I noticed a lot of people mentioned having purple hair/highlights in a thread a while back so thought this would be a good place to ask this.  I have purple highlights, I got them done about a month ago by my hair dresser.  I have really dark hair so she lightened it first and now they are fading since purple tends to fade fast and I was wondering if I would be able to re-dye them myself?  I know that whatever she puts on my hair to make them purple, after she lightens it, she puts on my whole head and I didn't know if I could just do the same since the rest of my hair is so dark?  Any thoughts?  Thanks :)

Re: NWR:For those who have purple hair/highlights or know about hair dye

• Go to a Sally's, they have a variety of colors especially purple. I would recommend Manic Panic. It is semi permanent but it can help revitalize the color in your hair that is fading. http://www.sallybeauty.com/manic-panic/MANIC1,default,pd.html

Live fast, die young. Bad Girls do it well. Suki Zuki.

• By putting it on all of your hair, it makes sure that all your hair has the same tone. You could totally do this yourself.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
    eyeroll
  • I've dyed my hair every color under the sun, and I've never been to a salon for it. For purple/pink/blues I really like the splat brand at walmart, funny enough.
  • You can so so it yourself.
  • If you can find Punky Colour, I recommend it. It's vibrant, and as a purple shade, lasted longer than Manic Panic (I was a prettttty cool 16yo). You can def do it yourself, just be prepared! I believe in you!!!
  • I use Manic Panic for clip in or short term. Pravana is a pest to get, but that color cheerfully hangs on for ages.
  • I do something VERY similar.  I used to have long hair, and I bleached the underside so I could dye it blue.  I ended up cutting it to about shoulder length and changing my mind about the color, but an inch or two of the bleached part is left, so I have a few inches of lightened hair.  I apply my purple dye (I recommend Punky color, get it either at amazon.com or Ulta beauty stores) on both the unbleached and bleached parts.  The bleached part is a lovely vibrant purple, the unbleached part is really dark, almost black, but you can definitely see the violet tones, especially in bright light. 

So yes, do what you're planning, but use a GOOD dye.  Do not use Splat, that stuff sucks.  Try punky color by Jerome Russel (I feel it's comparable to Manic Panic, only it smells a LOT better (Like grape soda!) and IMO lasts longer.)  and while the instructions say to leave it for 30 mins, it does NOT damage your hair (Actually it deep conditions it, it always leaves my hair CRAZY soft)  so you can leave it for as long as you want.  I usually do at least 4 hours, even overnight if I feel like it.  The longer you leave it, the more vibrant the results.  

Punky Violet would probably be your best bet, it has some really lovely blue undertones, which can make your unbleached hair look stunning.  
  • I used every shade of manic panic back in the late 90's. I didn't know it was still around haha. My mom was so pissed that I turned all her towels ansd bathtub purple!! But that was actually the salon stuff that came out, not the cheap DIY kind. Ah, I miss the good old days....my 9th grade school photo my hair is striped aqua and pink, and my best guy friend had cheetah spots hahaha

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards