Wedding Etiquette Forum

Thank yous or follow up for shower gifts that didnt arrive?

I just finished and mailed out the last of the thank you cards from my bridal shower that was not this past weekend but the one before. 3 of the cards I received say that my gift is in the mail to arrive at my house. I haven’t received anything from these 3 people and the registry items are all accounted for in the thank you cards I already sent out. Do I write a thank you card or wait until I receive the gift? Should I let them know that I didn’t receive their gift? Also, one of my bridesmaids wrote in her card that she got me the waffle maker and it was in the mail. It still shows as unpurchased on the registry so I texted her to see if I should take it down from the registry and she didn’t answer. She ignored the text and later texted me to show me her shoes she is getting for my wedding. I already wrote her a thank you card since she told me what the gift was. Should I mention it again or let it go?

Re: Thank yous or follow up for shower gifts that didnt arrive?

• I would only write thank you notes for gifts you actually received. If you never received it, there is no need to thank someone for it. (And, I would not send the waffle-maker-thank-you)

I wouldn't follow up with any of the gift givers. They might be waiting for a paycheck. They may have every intention of sending you a gift, and if they never do - so be it.  
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers

image 293 (Adults) Invited
    image198 Yes (+ 12 children and 3 babies)
    image95 No
    image0 Unknown

• I would take this as pretty passive aggressive if I got a thank you card in advance. Wait until you receive it, unless you have it on good authority that it was actually sent and perhaps got lost. 

• oops, I already sent the thank you for the waffle maker. The card said that she sent it and also included her familys waffle recipe. It wasn't til after I sent that one that I noticed it was unpurchased on the registry. I'm hoping she wont take it as passive aggressive because she is a very close friend, one of my bridesmaids.
  • I didn't send any thank you notes for the cards that said something is on the way and didn't state what it was.
  • Leave the waffle maker thing alone.

As for the other gifts, as a PP mentioned, only send thank-you notes for gifts you actually received.  Just because someone says something's in the mail doesn't mean you'll ever actually receive it.
  • And the waffle maker might have been purchased somewhere other than from your registry. (Some people think a registry is a list of suggestions and shop elsewhere.)
  • If you send a thank you card, the gift-sender will assume that it had arrived when it might actually be lost. Not sending any kind of acknowledgement at the point gives the sender the opportunity to double-check that the gift was received and you might all find out it is genuinely lost
  • oops, I already sent the thank you for the waffle maker. The card said that she sent it and also included her familys waffle recipe. It wasn't til after I sent that one that I noticed it was unpurchased on the registry. I'm hoping she wont take it as passive aggressive because she is a very close friend, one of my bridesmaids.
    She may have purchased elsewhere, or not scanned the registry, or the store may have been glitchy. I would take her word/the card/the recipe as "good authority" that she had sent it. Other not-as-close people, wait and see.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards