Attire & Accessories Forum

Mismatched bridesmaid opinions..

I've been really considering letting my BMs pick out their own style gown (as long as it's lilac, chiffon and long). I was already planning on letting them pick their own shoes aslong as they were silver. But i'm curious as to what to do about jewelry? I looked up pictures on Pinterest previously to get ideas and I seen alot of the girls didn't wear necklaces. Which is fine, but I kinda felt like it didn't look "complete" to me. But necklaces also depend on the style of the dress.. My BMs are all different and I just want them to find things they are comfortable in.

So i'd like to hear some opinions from brides who have done the mix match route! TIA :)
Wedding Countdown Ticker

www.MyVacationCountdown.com Ticker

Re: Mismatched bridesmaid opinions..

• My bridesmaids all wore different dresses, in the same color, but different fabrics. Two wore chiffon, two wore satin. I did buy them all coordinating jewelry, they all choose to wear it but didn't have too.

Overall, you can hardly tell they're wearing it :p. If you want, you can purchase them matchy jewelry, or ask them to wear whatever they like in say, silver since they're already wearing silver shoes. It's not a noticable detail.

Anniversary
  • chibiyui said:
    My bridesmaids all wore different dresses, in the same color, but different fabrics. Two wore chiffon, two wore satin. I did buy them all coordinating jewelry, they all choose to wear it but didn't have too.

Overall, you can hardly tell they're wearing it :p. If you want, you can purchase them matchy jewelry, or ask them to wear whatever they like in say, silver since they're already wearing silver shoes. It's not a noticable detail.
    I'm thinking maybe i'll wait till everyone has ordered their dresses, and then decide if I can get something that will compliment the different styles. Or just let them pick their own jewelery haha.

I don't like the look of satin for some reason, but mixed in with the chiffon it looks super cute! I think maybe all satin was overkill. I might have to throw satin in the mix as well when we start trying on dresses.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

• I would skip matching jewelry. I think it can look way too matchy, and if the jewelry is simple nobody would notice anyways. Not to steal thunder from @doeydo but here's what bridesmaids with different jewelry might look like

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I agree that it's too soon to decide since the dresses haven't been chosen. But ultimately, I'd just let them wear whatever they want.
  • Trust your BMs to choose their own accessories.
  • doeydodoeydo member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    I would just let them choose their own accessories.  I don't like big bold jewelry with bridesmaids dresses, which is really the only jewelry that I would notice as a guest.  Example of the bold mismatched jewelry:
    Versus just letting them do their own thing:
  • After talking with my bridesmaids they all had some sort of pearl jewelry so we all stuck with that theme. Some had pendants vs a string of pearls, some wore drop earrings vs studs, some wore bracelets, some did not... etc

Anniversary
  • Thanks everyone! Some of the pictures you guys posted I loved! I'm partial towards bold jewelery personally, and I liked the way the mismatch looked some of the dresses. Once we start shopping around i'll probably get a better idea. I have an image in my head now of what i'm looking for though :) I'm probably ultimately going to let them decide what they wanna do over all.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

• My favorite bridesmaid gift I've received was jewelry from the bride. She picked out a necklace and earrings for each one of us that was specific to our personal taste. They were all very different, and I can't speak for the others, but she definitely nailed it with me. I still wear the earrings constantly, and it was years ago! She told us it was just a gift and we didn't have to wear it, but I think all of us did. It was mostly silver jewelry, and the dresses were navy, so it went well.
  • vmj23vmj23 member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its First Answer

My girls all picked their own everything.  they had mismatched dresses all of same color - same shade of gray and they were all short dresses.  2 wore satin the other was chiffon.  they all wore their own jewelry and picked own shoes.  One had black shoes..i think one had silver and I don't remember the other.  I have been looking at the pictures over and over for the past week (just got them a week ago) and still couldn't tell you what their shoes looked like.   I prefer the mismatched look and the fact that there shoes were diff colors and jewelry not matching didn't make any difference

• jenni1221 said:

My girls all picked their own everything.  they had mismatched dresses all of same color - same shade of gray and they were all short dresses.  2 wore satin the other was chiffon.  they all wore their own jewelry and picked own shoes.  One had black shoes..i think one had silver and I don't remember the other.  I have been looking at the pictures over and over for the past week (just got them a week ago) and still couldn't tell you what their shoes looked like.   I prefer the mismatched look and the fact that there shoes were diff colors and jewelry not matching didn't make any difference

Before I decided to go the route of letting them pick their own dresses. I knew I wanted long so that the girls could wear whatever they wanted on the bottom. I've looked at a ton of pictures on Pinterest and I think mismatched looks cuter in my opinion. The jewelry I wasn't so sure about, but i'll probably end up letting them pick out that as well. Or one of my BMs recommended no necklaces for anyone, and do a pair of big earrings.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards