Snarky Brides

The worst wedding trends on Pinterest...

Re: The worst wedding trends on Pinterest...

• Seriously, if you love mason jars, lace and burlap, OWN IT. I used milk glass, mercury glass, and chalkboards at my wedding, cause I like them. 

Decor is taste. People are only going to hold your decor against you if they're upset about other stuff. I don't care if you have coordinating chevron (something I personally dislike) linens and cocktail napkins, but if you don't have enough seats for people to sit at during dinner, then I'm going to question your priorities. 

Anniversary
  • This is captioned "every girl gets a key and tries to see if she holds the key. Alternative to the tradition bouquet toss. I like this!"

Can you imagine how LONG that would take?

imageimage
  • wrigleyvillewrigleyville member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its First Answer
    edited July 2014

Felt. Because burlap isn't hipster enough anymore.
  • Gmo5262 said:
    This is captioned "every girl gets a key and tries to see if she holds the key. Alternative to the tradition bouquet toss. I like this!" Can you imagine how LONG that would take?
    Are these girls all wearing prom dresses? That doesn't look like dresses that I see at most weddings. Eh, what do I know?

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Gmo5262 said:
    This is captioned "every girl gets a key and tries to see if she holds the key. Alternative to the tradition bouquet toss. I like this!" Can you imagine how LONG that would take?
    Are these girls all wearing prom dresses? That doesn't look like dresses that I see at most weddings. Eh, what do I know?
    I wondered the same thing. They look like they all rolled around in the Macy's prom department before they arrived. You know when the Defenders of The Gap say that  a gap gives guests a chance to change into something "more glamorous" for evening? Do you think this is what they mean? They change into glitzy pageant gowns? 
  • Gmo5262 said:

This is captioned "every girl gets a key and tries to see if she holds the key. Alternative to the tradition bouquet toss. I like this!"

Can you imagine how LONG that would take?

Or the let down when the very first girl happens to hold the key?

Confession - I actually kind of like the felt. I've never seen that before (haven't gone on Pinterest in a while, however). Not that I'm going to go and redo the bout FI is getting, but I like it.

Confession - I actually kind of like the felt. I've never seen that before (haven't gone on Pinterest in a while, however). Not that I'm going to go and redo the bout FI is getting, but I like it.

STUCK in BOX

I respect the creativity and daring to be different, but that button... that button. This looks more like a kidnergarten art project, unfortunately. 

• Gmo5262 said:
    If this were done at the ladies' leisure throughout the night, off to the side as not to be a main attraction I could see it being something different and quirky. But if everyone were to parade up like a bunch of elephants to do this steadily until someone unlocked it...no. Just No.
  • I respect the creativity and daring to be different, but that button... that button. This looks more like a kidnergarten art project, unfortunately. 
    That's what bugs me. You nailed it. Without the button, it might not be so bad. The button kills it, though.
  • From work - claim from bride is it's from Pintrest....

Since lace is soooooo expensive, buy white burlap, lay lace on, spray paint to your colors. Add the Krylon glitter spray for extra sparkle. Attached to glitter sprayed mason jars.

Her paint was Rustoleum Universal Titanium Silver and Dark Steel which are crazy sparkly on their own. Then she got all the glitter colors and she's mixing them to signal each table because numbers are so cheesy.

Can I be a total bitch and say I hope she sees this? Because I really wanted to say I would rather have cheese dip than the glitter fairy of Pintrest puke on everything.
  • From work - claim from bride is it's from Pintrest.... Since lace is soooooo expensive, buy white burlap, lay lace on, spray paint to your colors. Add the Krylon glitter spray for extra sparkle. Attached to glitter sprayed mason jars. Her paint was Rustoleum Universal Titanium Silver and Dark Steel which are crazy sparkly on their own. Then she got all the glitter colors and she's mixing them to signal each table because numbers are so cheesy. Can I be a total bitch and say I hope she sees this? Because I really wanted to say I would rather have cheese dip than the glitter fairy of Pintrest puke on everything.
    Oh yeah that would totally fool me into thinking it was real lace
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

• Ditto what Molly said above. Everyone has opinions, and personal taste just isn't disputable. I wouldn't let someone else's opinion dissuade me from doing anything I really liked. If 250 people told me green beans sucked, I would still love green beans. (Especially with baby red potatoes and crumbled bacon.) It doesn't mean I shouldn't love green beans. It means other people don't.

For example: There's a lot of anti chalkboard sentiment here. 
    I love chalkboards. I heart them. I think Dana Tanamachi rocks. I love her work. I love vintage fonts and antique advertising art. I do chalkboards for holidays, parties, or whenever I feel like hanging wisdom on my frikking wall.  I love the stark contrast, I love the white lines against black, when my eyes are so used to reading the opposite. I love that chalk is ephemeral, and that any effort in chalk is only a temporary gift that can be erased in a moment. The act of drawing with chalk is soothing and pleasant to me. I'm coming out of the chalkboard closet here. Yay, chalk. 

There are probably 25 people on these boards that have said, blech. Chalkboards. So overdone/Pinteresty/trendy/whatever. And posters that I like, whose opinions I normally agree with.
    Doesn't hurt me. Still love my chalk. People like and dislike different things. 

Was practicing a "menu" board this morning. I love my M. That is really one of my favorite Ms I've ever met. I am going to erase, tighten, redraw, and fuss over that M until my heart sings. If I eat green beans at the same time, I might just pass out from happiness. Best M in weeks. 

The point was (there really was a point) everyone's taste is different, valid, and may not be your own. It should never stop you from doing or liking something that makes you happy. Don't let my random snarks or anyone else's determine your own taste or choices. 

(There's my almost finished M, down there. I own it. Ignore the spacing lines and unfinished stuff. That is one big happy attention whore M there, and will eventually be a splendid menu board, Pinteresty or not.)
    That looks awesome! I'm seriously impressed by your chalkboard writing skills!

• Since lace is soooooo expensive, buy white burlap, lay lace on, spray paint to your colors. Add the Krylon glitter spray for extra sparkle. Attached to glitter sprayed mason jars.

Her paint was Rustoleum Universal Titanium Silver and Dark Steel which are crazy sparkly on their own. Then she got all the glitter colors and she's mixing them to signal each table because numbers are so cheesy.  

Okay, so I'm not crafty or anything... but I'm trying to imagine this in my head... and it's coming up looking like a pile of horseshit?  Is anyone else having this awful vision?

Fairy puke, horseshit, whatever term you want.

Plus, this wasn't some cheap project. This was a $400+ project. So like lace will be more expensive since I can guarantee she'd use cheap craft store lace.
  • Forgive me if some of these have already been mentioned, but these bug me:

I actually went to a wedding that had ornaments like these as the favor.  They were fragile and ornament shards were everywhere!

• Marzipan13Marzipan13 member
    First Comment 5 Love Its First Anniversary Name Dropper
    edited July 2014
    http://www.rapturephotographystudio.com/las-vegas-bachelorette-party-photographer/

(Originally found on Pinterest as "such a cute idea for me and my girls!")

Uh yeah, no.  Gallivanting around town in my lingerie is my idea of hell.

(etf: link was being weird)  
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
    Mr. Bean Flipping the Bird
  • http://www.rapturephotographystudio.com/las-vegas-bachelorette-party-photographer/

The only time I've ever gone out in some lingerie was when I was going to a Rocky Horror show. Other than that, nope.
    --

I'm the fuck
    out.

• beethery said:
    http://www.rapturephotographystudio.com/las-vegas-bachelorette-party-photographer/

The only time I've ever gone out in some lingerie was when I was going to a Rocky Horror show. Other than that, nope.
    And that is a damn good reason, too. I can get down with this.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Also, just found this gem...   Is it just me, or does this look incredibly painful?!  My scalp hurts just looking at it!!  
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • http://www.rapturephotographystudio.com/las-vegas-bachelorette-party-photographer/

No. No no no no no no no. No. I'm sorry, but this is in such bad taste I can't handle it. Her bridesmaids should stopped her. That is beyond the beyonds. No. And also no.

No. No no no no no no no. No. I'm sorry, but this is in such bad taste I can't handle it. Her bridesmaids should stopped her. That is beyond the beyonds. No. And also no.
    a) They had a pro photographer for the bachelorette party? Holy hell, attention w****. 
    b) The bride is over-the-top but at least she's covered.  The others, well, sad to say I see young women dressed like that in Wrigleyville and at the River North clubs in Chicago fairly frequently.  That's what's even more sad--- this is intended to be racy but it's not even abnormal.  

Based on the pictures, I think the bride and two of the bridesmaids were into the idea, and the other two didn't have the will to overcome.
    I was thinking the same thing: "The girls in pink and peach look like they would rather be somewhere else....anywhere else.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers

• Marzipan13Marzipan13 member
    First Comment 5 Love Its First Anniversary Name Dropper
    edited July 2014
    I'm sorry, but just because you're engaged doesn't mean you automatically get a free pass to run around in your skivvies (or tell anyone else to do it with you).  I just don't understand why people do this.  I never will.  

etf: TK killed the boxes, so I got rid of them
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • The caption was "What a perfect idea for wedding decorations".

...Excuse me? 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • The caption was "What a perfect idea for wedding decorations".

...Excuse me? 
    Are those umbrellas??  WTF!?

• Mmmmm delicious burlap cake.  Vintage flavored!

ETA Holy fuckin' hell, HUGE pic!  BURLAP INVASION!  AHHHH!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards