Favors

Homemade Chocolates

Would you be ok with this homemade as opposed to purchased or professionally made? I'm leaning towards either chocolate truffles or chocolate covered caramels. They will be individual boxed.

I will be test making a batch of each this weekend. In theory the truffles will be easier, though I've never made them. I have made the caramels before though and they are awesome.

Would it seem cheap or strange if I make the favor. To be honest it's because of money but if I have the ability and time, why not?

Re: Homemade Chocolates

• No, not cheap or strange. Truffles are wonderful, homemade truffles are even better, and homemade caramels rule the world. I would love this.
  • Yep, I love homemade stuff. It's so sweet. (Ha, see what I did there?)
  • csuavecsuave member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its Name Dropper

Cheap and strange....no.

Yummy and awesome...yes!

• It would be wonderful. Just make sure you don't overextend yourself and have time to do things like that!
    What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
  • Oh good, I'm glad you all think that. I was concerned people might think it odd. @AddieCake‌ I'll kind of figure out the time it takes this weekend when making them. I took the week before the wedding off work to wrap up all of my DIYs so hopefully I can make and wrap them a day or two ahead of time. Thanks all!
  • my favors were homemade. One of my friends did chocolate suckers for us as our wedding gift. They were a huge hit.
  • I made truffles once for Christmas gifts.

Never again.

Depending on the types of chocolates that you're doing, it's an incredible amount of work. Are you going to temper the chocolate yourself? Are you thinking of doing hand rolled or molded chocolates? How many flavors? How many pieces per person (and how many people).

This is the kind of thing that, from experience, just seems better in theory. I'd seriously advise against it, just due to the amount of manual labor involved.
  • I am not against the homemade favor in theory.  One of my good family friends makes homemade caramels and they are the most delicious things ever.  I made chocolate truffles for my Christmas open house.  However, you don't mention how many guests you're making favors for and the fact that you mention trying test batches leads me to believe this is not something you're particularly practiced at so I feel the need to warn you.

1.  Candy making can be hard and really time consuming (my last single batch of truffles took me several hours because the chocolate and my hands would get too warm to roll them).  It can be tempermental, if you live anywhere with any amount of humidity there's a decent chance your caramels won't turn out, chocolate is MESSY, unless you're planning to also dip your truffles in a harder coating (vs. rolled in cocoa or sugar) there's a good chance your truffles will not survive the summer heat unless you immediately take them from a refrigerator to a car already running AC and then take them to another refrigerator or air conditioned place.  So also keep in mind that if you're making these several days in advance, you're likely going to need to store the truffles in the fridge, which can consume a lot of space.

2.  DIY is not always cheaper.  With the rising cost of groceries (dairy especially, in addition to buying liners and boxes, it may not always come out cheaper (especially when you factor in the amount of time it takes, stress, and aggravation).  Just really price it out to see if the cost savings is that significant.  I always see posts elsewhere around Christmas time where people are looking for "cheap" DIY gifts to make and they say they are going to make candy or knit scarves and then they usually come back posting after they bought their individual ingredients/yarn/etc. with sticker shock.

Honestly, if you're dead-set on doing a homemade edible, I'd go with something that you can make in a slab and break or cut (fudge, peanut brittle, toffee) rather than go through the tedium of individually dipping and wrapping caramels and handrolling truffles.  But overall, unless you're a master chocolatier or candymaker, I just highly recommend not attempting this big of a project the week before your wedding.
  • If you're having a summer or outdoor wedding, consider whether chocolates are a good idea or a melty mess. Personally, I don't like homemade favors and don't take them, but everyone else on here doesn't seem to mind. I'm just picturing someone licking a spoon or their cat jumping on a counter top. This is the same reason why I skip potlucks at church. It's not that all restaurants or manufacturing facilities are impeccably clean, either...but since they are supposed to meet certain food handling standards, I feel better eating commercial items.
  • I've made caramels a plenty times before. They are somewhat difficult mostly in that getting them to the right firmness can be a challenge. And there is a lot of stirring. So much.

I tried the truffles last weekend. They were amazing. I took them to work and everyone raved. I dipped them in chocolate to hold the shape. It worked well. Yes slightly messy but not actually that bad. I'm going to do those instead of the caramels.
  • If you're having a summer or outdoor wedding, consider whether chocolates are a good idea or a melty mess. Personally, I don't like homemade favors and don't take them, but everyone else on here doesn't seem to mind. I'm just picturing someone licking a spoon or their cat jumping on a counter top. This is the same reason why I skip potlucks at church. It's not that all restaurants or manufacturing facilities are impeccably clean, either...but since they are supposed to meet certain food handling standards, I feel better eating commercial items.
    I have to agree with the time of year portion. Chocolates that are homemade or store bought are always a well received favor, but if you are having a summer wedding, and especially if the reception is outdoors, a chocolate favor may not be the best route to go.
  • I'm giving Lindor truffles as a favor, and the three of them per person averages $1. I dont' know how that compares to homemade candy. Sounds delicious, though, and if making them is fun/makes you happy go for it!
  • I made homemade candy for my favor (butter crunch) and there wasn't any left behind...and many people ate it before they even left  I got so many compliments on it.  I got nice candy boxes, wrapped the chocolate's in cellophane in the box, and then tied and labeled with nice ribbon.  I say go for it!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards