Wedding Vows & Ceremony Discussions

Need ideas!

I have talked to a few people about this but I haven't had very many ideas given to me. My parents celebrated their 25 year anniversary this year, and so did my fiance's parents. I have had many people tell me that we need to do something during the ceremony or at the reception to make this known. I have no idea what to do for them though.

Any ideas?

Re: Need ideas!

• It's your wedding, not their anniversary parties. I wouldn't do much more than make a toast to them or maybe have a spotlight dance for all married couples and announce it as part of that.
    What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
  • doeydodoeydo member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    Unless their anniversary was on the day you chose to get married, I wouldn't do anything about it.
  • edited June 2014
    My DD and SIL's officiant spoke about the legacy of long marriages in both DDs and SIL's families, including parents and grandparents. It was awesome to think about all those years 30+ for us parents and 60 for my parents. Coincidentally, we all the parents and grandparents share an anniversary month. After that, we were invited to the front to participate in a blessing of the newest marriage in the family. 

• I vote no. My parents 30th was very shortly after our wedding and we didn't do anything, nor would they have wanted that. 
  • Having the officiant mention the longstanding success of the bride and groom's respective parents marriage is fine. Or a spotlight dance for married couples.

However, y'all don't have to do that, and people trying to get you to incorporate it is crazy.
    --

I'm the fuck
    out.

• Yeah, you don't have to do anything. I doubt I would have added anything concerning parents anniversary into my ceremony/reception, and I know my parents would not have wanted it.

Anniversary
  • All I would do is, maybe during a toast or in private, acknowledge & thank them for being a wonderful example of long-standing married love.  (If this would be done during a toast, however, don't spend more than a mere minute on the subject.)  Other than that, do not turn your wedding into a party celebrating their anniversary.  As others have also stated, make sure they would even want the attention! 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
    Mr. Bean Flipping the Bird
  • Our milestone was 3months after our kid's wedding. At some point it would have meant a lot to us to have it mentioned. Same for other set of parents.
  • You don't need to do anything. You can give them a toast or mention them in a speech (if they are okay with the attention), but your wedding isn't their anniversary celebration.
  • kaos16kaos16 member
    First Answer First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment

We had two VIP guest couples at our wedding who actually shared our wedding date.  We simply gave their first dance songs to the DJ and said that they were must plays.  He played them during the evening and both couples were THRILLED when they heard them come on.

You could do that for your parents.

• I was at a wedding where they had a cake for the parent's anniversary, but it was the same day as the wedding I think.  Just a thought?
  • My parent's 40th was the day after our wedding.  We played their wedding song and congratulated them for the achievement.

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • I was at a wedding where they had a cake for the parent's anniversary, but it was the same day as the wedding I think.  Just a thought?
    I forgot, my sister did the same for her wedding.  She shared her wedding date with one of our cousins.

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • kaos16 said:

We had two VIP guest couples at our wedding who actually shared our wedding date.  We simply gave their first dance songs to the DJ and said that they were must plays.  He played them during the evening and both couples were THRILLED when they heard them come on.

Now that is SUPER cute!
    --

I'm the fuck
    out.

• beethery said:
    kaos16 said:

Now that is SUPER cute!

Completely agree!

I would say that if you and your FI want to include something in the ceremony, the officiant could casually mention it along with the meaning of marriage (or whatever the opening talk is about). It could also be worked into a toast. I know my parents don't like the spotlight, but if I were in that situation and wanted to include it, I (or FI) would probably give a combined toast to our parents who journey together both started 25 years ago, molded us into who we are, etc., etc. I definitely wouldn't say anything about give a round of applause, or have the parents stand up for us to recognize. They also wouldn't want to have a special spotlight dance, but again that's my parents!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards