Wedding Etiquette Forum

The SAME wedding colors

My fiance and I have been secretly planning our wedding its still a ways off and we are paying for everything ourselves. We will be making an announcement once we have the financing taken care of. Now today I found out that my cousin is getting married and she has picked the same colors!!!! Her wedding is a few months away mine is not until next year. Is it in bad taste to keep my colors or do I have to worry about ordering new bridesmaids dresses?? 

Re: The SAME wedding colors

• Nope, nobody will care.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • My Best friends know thats about it. 
  • LOL 

All I know is that my MOH is freaking out and saying its tacky and that my family will think I copied her. 
  • Even with the same colors both weddings will be unique.

Your MOH is freaking out over nothing.
  • To give my friends time to save up and pay for the dresses, or if they cant there is time for them to back out. 
  • Lenorsun said:

LOL 

All I know is that my MOH is freaking out and saying its tacky and that my family will think I copied her. 
    Your MOH needs to join the rest of us in reality, lol. No one will care, stop listening to her.

Although, your families might be very pissed when they learn you are engaged and planning a wedding and have a bridal party before you let them know the happy news. . .

"Love is the one thing we're capable of perceiving that transcends time and space."

• I don't understand why this is even an issue. Nobody owns colors.
  • Lenorsun said:
    To give my friends time to save up and pay for the dresses, or if they cant there is time for them to back out. 

I understanding saving for it, but why have they already been purchased?
  • Oh no they have not purchased them yet. Having them all agree on a dress was hard and i dont want to have to go through that again. 
  • MOH needs to chill. There are only so many colors in the universe, and there are thousands of weddings every year. It's impossible to be truly unique.

Also, there have been years where I've gone to weddings and everyone was doing the yellow/grey thing and then the red/aqua thing. Every wedding was still different because the other elements were different - the people, the dresses, the flowers, the food, the venue, etc. Just because the colors were the same doesn't mean the wedding *looked* the same.

If your cousin freaks out and calls you a copycat, just ignore her.
  • If I worried about the colors of everyone else's wedding I've attended or might attend between now and my wedding there would be no choice but for my bridesmaids to go naked.  
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • slothiegalslothiegal member
    First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited July 2014
    If I worried about the colors of everyone else's wedding I've attended or might attend between now and my wedding there would be no choice but for my bridesmaids to go naked.  

SIB

Been done.

Anniversary

• slothiegalslothiegal member
    First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited July 2014
    If I worried about the colors of everyone else's wedding I've attended or might attend between now and my wedding there would be no choice but for my bridesmaids to go naked.  

SIB

Been done.

What the fuck is that??
    The internet is a wonderful, terrifying place.   (Also: fuck if I know.)
    Anniversary

• NymeruNymeru member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment Name Dropper
    Don't even worry about it.  I'm getting married next week, and my aunt is getting married next month.  We've chosen the same colors and flowers without ever having compared to one another until the decisions were already made.  I couldn't care less that we're having the same colors at our weddings.  We're both having what we find the most beautiful, exactly as it should be.  It's not tacky at all.
  • one of my BM was also in a wedding a month before mine and not only did she pick the same colors, but pretty much the same BM dresses! (I tried to get said friend to just wear her friend's dress to our wedding, but she didn't want to!) At first I was super irritated but as our respective planning went on I realized mine was going to be so much prettier than hers anyways ;) A wedding is so much more than colors, it's what you do with them!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • saacjwsaacjw member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary Name Dropper First Comment
    My cousin and I got married within about 2 months of each other and had the same colors. Another friend who got married about two months before my cousin had the same colors, just reversed. I also went to several weddings within that year that had the same colors as us, plus I know a friend who's getting married this year is using the same colors too. It's no big deal. We all happened to choose to get married at pretty similar times of year and colors that are popular and easy to deal with. No one noticed. What people did notice was that my wedding was better hosted than my cousins and other family members still talk about that. Colors are really less of a big deal than people make them out to be and what they notice at the end of the day is if they were treated well. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Ditto PP - it's not the colors, it's what you do with them. If it really bugs you, just do different things with them than she does. It will look different.
  • My sister has been a bridesmaid about 15 times. I think half of them had navy blue dresses. Don't worry about it.

• KaurisKauris member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery, and if anyone has anything ugly to say about your colors "copying" hers, tell them this. Also, just curious, have you told your family? I would be pretty upset to find out my family member hadn't told me such great, happy news.
  • lyndausvi said:
    I guess I have a different definition of secretly planning.

Something tells me using the same color as your cousin might be the least of your problems.
    Yeah, this was my first thought too.  I am really curious why this is being done secretly.
  • kmmssg said:
    lyndausvi said:
    I guess I have a different definition of secretly planning.

Something tells me using the same color as your cousin might be the least of your problems.
    Yeah, this was my first thought too.  I am really curious why this is being done secretly.
    but it's not a secret if the BM have already picked out a dress and saving for a wedding "ways off".   That means it's only a secret to some people.  That sometimes doesn't work in people's favor.

On other note, they haven't bought them yet, so there is a possibility  it gets discounted if the wedding is "ways off". 

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • My family is very headstrong and opinionated. I was married once before when i was much younger and my parents took over the the planning process. I wanted a small wedding and they turned it into a circus, years later I and my husband divorced. Now that i have someone new in my life and we have been together a while my mother is doing what she did before. Picking wedding dresses, showing me wedding locations, ect... Mind you she has no idea Im engaged, I dont even wear my ring. The last thing i want is for my parents to try and hijack my wedding again. In fact I dont want my father to walk me down the aisle. 

Thats why only those involved know about the wedding 
  • Lenorsun said:
    My family is very headstrong and opinionated. I was married once before when i was much younger and my parents took over the the planning process. I wanted a small wedding and they turned it into a circus, years later I and my husband divorced. Now that i have someone new in my life and we have been together a while my mother is doing what she did before. Picking wedding dresses, showing me wedding locations, ect... Mind you she has no idea Im engaged, I dont even wear my ring. The last thing i want is for my parents to try and hijack my wedding again. In fact I dont want my father to walk me down the aisle. 

Thats why only those involved know about the wedding 
    True story: I have an acquaintance who didn't tell her parents she was getting married until she sent the invitations.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards