Wedding Reception Forum

Fast Paced First Dance Song?

FI and I have very different tastes in music and anyone would be hard-pressed to find a song we both like. After a long time (longer than I'd like to admit) we finally found a song we both liked and it happens to be a love song! FI wants it to be our first dance song and I was all for it; the thing is though, the song is pretty fast paced and I know most first dance songs are slower songs. I suggested that maybe we can take dance lessons if he's set on this song and we can maybe swing dance or something to it, but I'm not sure how well it will work with our height differences (he's 6'7 and I'm 5'1).

Has anyone been to a wedding where the first dance song was fast paced or the couple did dance like swing dancing or salsa? What do you think we should do? Do you guys think we should just go for this song and take lessons or do you think we should try to find another, slower-paced song we both like?

The song is "I've Just Seen A Face" by The Beatles

Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Fast Paced First Dance Song?

• I have never seen a fast paced first dance but that doesn't mean that it shouldn't be done if it is the couples style.  A first dance does not equal a slow dance.  It can be any dance you like.

• Are you having a band? Maybe they can slow it down
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_nObZ3Hb2OE
  • Are you having a band? Maybe they can slow it down
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_nObZ3Hb2OE
    No, we're on a pretty small budget and our wedding is really small so we couldn't justify the cost of a band or DJ so we're doing the iPod thing. Thanks though! A slower cover is a great idea!

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • If you guys both like the song and think you can dance to it, I think you should go for it.  I know where you're coming from -- my H and I have very different tasts in music.  He picked the first dance and I picked the last dance, but we each had veto power over the other's choice.  So we both had to at least kind of like the song, but we knew we weren't going to find songs we both were enthusiastic about.
  • We did "I Was Made for You," by She and Him, which is on the faster side and it was a blast. We shuffled around the dance floor, just a little faster. We didn't want to bother with learning (or trying to remember) a new dance, but we did practice in our living room a bit because DH is a terrible dancer and needed to learn the rhythm of the song.

• I've seen fast-paced choreographed dances like salsa or swing. Or just do your own thing! Do what you are comfortable with. Your guests will enjoy the dance more if you and your husband are relaxed and happy. If one of you is super-stressed trying to remember dance steps, the whole thing will fall flat.
  • csuavecsuave member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its Name Dropper

That is a great song!  Have you tried dancing to it? 

We danced to each of our finalist songs in our living room.  We ended up with Stevie Wonder's For Once in My Life and felt like we kept a good pace with it while "practicing."

• csuave said:

That is a great song!  Have you tried dancing to it? 

We danced to each of our finalist songs in our living room.  We ended up with Stevie Wonder's For Once in My Life and felt like we kept a good pace with it while "practicing."

Practicing the dance sounds like a great idea! Thank you! :)

Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards