Catholic Weddings

Cohabitating before marriage

2»

Re: Cohabitating before marriage

• edited December 2011
    I've really enjoyed reading everyones responses to this. being Catholic but not overly involved in the Church over the last several years, it's really interesting to hear what others have to say.

When we went for our first meeting with the preist he literally said to us and I quote "I don't want to know and I don't care if you are having sex, that is your sin to confess."

I thought it was an interesting approach.I thought it was very strange but an interesting way to say he doesn't approve but being sensitive and saying it also in not any of his business and at this point in our lives and our faith we should be able to make the decision for ourselves.

I also know so many couples that have been turned away from being married in the Church because they live togther. Whether the Church believes cohabitating is right or wrong it is not supposed to be judgemental. Just because they live together does not lessen faith in any way. To be turned away from being married in the Catholic faith because they have already taken a step towards starting their life together often creates negative feelings towards the church and pushes these couples away when the Church should be happy that people who are living together and could have happily stayed that way or had a civil celebration want to celebrate their marriage in the Church and with the Church and raise their children in the Catholic Church.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards