Wedding Party
Options

Flower girl gift - Tiffany's?

I was considering getting my soon to be niece, who is going to be our flower girl something from Tiffany's. She's only going to be almost 3 by the time we're married which is very young still. I just thought it be nice to get her something that she could have for when she's older. What would be an acceptable gift from Tiffany's for someone so young?
Wedding Countdown Ticker

www.MyVacationCountdown.com Ticker

Re: Flower girl gift - Tiffany's?

• Options
    I was considering getting my soon to be niece, who is going to be our flower girl something from Tiffany's. She's only going to be almost 3 by the time we're married which is very young still. I just thought it be nice to get her something that she could have for when she's older. What would be an acceptable gift from Tiffany's for someone so young?

Diamond earrings.
  • Options

Diamond earrings.
    That was my original plan, but FI is worried they'll be to "large" for her to wear for quite a long time. Tiffany's should really consider coming out with a "My First Diamonds" or something along those lines haha.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

• Options
    Can I be your flower girl?
    Yes, please!

But in all seriousness, OP, I would suggest getting her something a little more age appropriate (i.e. a toy, sporting equipment, little jewelry box, etc.).
  • Options
    ((( sarcasm font )))
  • Options
    Get the poor child something she'll actually enjoy. Tiffany's means exactly nothing to a three year old. She'd be happier with a lollipop or a teddy bear. For heaven's sake. 
  • Options
    NymeruNymeru member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment Name Dropper
    I wouldn't waste a Tiffany's present on such a young girl. Save that for when she will appreciate it.
  • Options
    emmaaaemmaaa mod
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its First Answer
    edited July 2014
    Maybe get her a jewelry box and a toy. If you're so set on Tiffany's earrings, put them in the jewlery box for later.

• Options
    I'm 33 and I don't own anything from Tiffany's! I really don't think a three-year-old will understand or appreciate something from Tiffany's. Give her something she can enjoy now.
  • Options
    I like the idea of jewelry box (does Tiffany's make any?) and a toy. When I was very young I had a musical music box with a twirling ballerina in it and I LOVED it. Granted, I did not appreciate the jewelry that may or may not have been there until I was older, but I loved that music box soooooo much. I had it for years. Not sure what ever happened to it.

I love jewelry now, but I didn't as a kid. I think diamond earings would be nice, but that's more a gift that maybe her parents can get her.
                                 Anniversary
    imageimageimage

• Options
    pinkcow13 said:
    I like the idea of jewelry box (does Tiffany's make any?) and a toy. When I was very young I had a musical music box with a twirling ballerina in it and I LOVED it. Granted, I did not appreciate the jewelry that may or may not have been there until I was older, but I loved that music box soooooo much. I had it for years. Not sure what ever happened to it.

I love jewelry now, but I didn't as a kid. I think diamond earings would be nice, but that's more a gift that maybe her parents can get her.
    The cheapest one on their website is $125.00 and made of plain black leather. There are more expensive ones that come in black leather and some really expensive ones in black or tiffany blue.  They have three sterling silver boxes in their baby section which are priced at $275.00, $24,000.00, and $28,000.00.  And the cheapest pair of diamond earrings I saw was $550.00.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    Tiffany's for a 3 year old?????

A 3 year old kid prefers gifts they can actually play with-and that they don't have to be careful with.  Finding something that meets those criteria from Tiffany's?  Good luck on that.
  • Options
    The earrings wouldn't be the only gift we planned for her. We wanted to get her something special from us. FSIL recommended a pair of diamond earrings because she got a pair being in her Dad's wedding when she was younger. So that's why we came up with that idea. And I don't understand how me giving her earrings as a gift, is about me, and my milestones? But thanks for your input, I just assumed someone on this board has purchased jewelery for younger girls before. I apologize :)
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

• Options
    The earrings wouldn't be the only gift we planned for her. We wanted to get her something special from us. FSIL recommended a pair of diamond earrings because she got a pair being in her Dad's wedding when she was younger. So that's why we came up with that idea. And I don't understand how me giving her earrings as a gift, is about me, and my milestones? But thanks for your input, I just assumed someone on this board has purchased jewelery for younger girls before. I apologize :)
    I can say this much about young kids and earrings, those suckers are gonna fall out and get lost. FI's little sister had lost more earrings then I really care to think about. And she's 7. I swear I'm welding the next pair into her head.

No, not really. That's illegal. 
  • Options
    Wait, is the FSIL that you mentioned the mother of the flower girl?
  • Options
    I have purchased jewelry for children, but for immediate wear, not for later. Tiny gold bracelets, a little gold cross on a delicate chain, that sort of thing. Sweet little girl jewelry. Things to be worn for special occasions, and enjoyed. Children operate in the immediate, and especially so at that age. They simply don't appreciate future gifts. (I think people assume that buying a very known prestige brand like Tiffany & Co. sounds like something only gratifying to the adults involved, because it would mean nothing at all to the child.)
  • Options
    Did you see where I posted that the cheapest diamond earrings on the Tiffany's website were $550?  Their cheapest earrings are $150.  Those are extremely expensive gifts for a two-year-old.  Especially if you were planning to spend additional money for another gift on top of them.  Maybe you are extremely wealthy but to me that seems like a very high bar to set for gifts for your bridal party.  

The comment about it being about your milestone is because they won't mean anything to a two-year-old. She may not even remember being in your wedding so those earrings won't have any meaning to her.  And the brand Tiffany means nothing to her, Fisher Price might but not Tiffany.  

I'm sure lots of people have bought jewelry for little girls, just not at Tiffany's. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    mysticl said:
    Did you see where I posted that the cheapest diamond earrings on the Tiffany's website were $550?  Their cheapest earrings are $150.  Those are extremely expensive gifts for a two-year-old.  Especially if you were planning to spend additional money for another gift on top of them.  Maybe you are extremely wealthy but to me that seems like a very high bar to set for gifts for your bridal party.  

The comment about it being about your milestone is because they won't mean anything to a two-year-old. She may not even remember being in your wedding so those earrings won't have any meaning to her.  And the brand Tiffany means nothing to her, Fisher Price might but not Tiffany.  

I'm sure lots of people have bought jewelry for little girls, just not at Tiffany's. 
    THIS. 

Look, buy her what you want. But she's 3. She's not going to have fond memories of being your flower girl and receiving those Tiffany earrings. She's not going to remember anything about this. It's not going to be a crazy, sentimental item for her, cause she isn't going to remember being your flower girl. I have jewelry from when I was a kid, a little cross with my birthstone, some mickey mouse earrings. They were probably given to me when I was like, 5. I don't remember anything about them, other then them sitting my Mom's jewelry box and not being able to wear them. I have no sentimental attachment to them. They mean nothing. 

You know what means something to me, the ring my Grandma on my mom's side gave me in high school, because as a little girl I said it was very pretty. The two necklaces I received after my Grandma on my dad's side passed from her collection (college age). Those are the pieces of jewelry I have tangible memories and sentimental attachment too. 

My ring bearer was three. I got her toys. She plays with them, and she likes them. She was extremely excited to open her Melissa and Doug birthday cake play set. If you want to give her something more sentimental, I second the recommendation of a jewelry box. You can get her one nicer then the 15 dollar dancing ballerina ones. You can even put jewelry in there, but I'd recommend sticking with something cute from Claires, and saving Tiffany for when she graduates high school, college, first job, etc. Because she'll understand and appreciate, and remember it better then. 

Or you could start a savings account/college fund for her.

Anniversary
  • Options
    I bought diamond earrings for both of my nieces for their 5th birthdays. I put them in those cute little jewelry boxes with the twirling ballerinas. I also bought them toys to go along with it. My one niece is 18 and wears her diamond earrings pretty regularly. My other niece who is 17 decided to not get her ears pierced so the earrings are basically worthless to her. 

If she already has pierced ears though then I don't see anything wrong with getting her a nice pair of earrings. If not, then I would get her a necklace charm or something.
  • Options
    chibiyui said:
    mysticl said:

THIS. 

Look, buy her what you want. But she's 3. She's not going to have fond memories of being your flower girl and receiving those Tiffany earrings. She's not going to remember anything about this. It's not going to be a crazy, sentimental item for her, cause she isn't going to remember being your flower girl. I have jewelry from when I was a kid, a little cross with my birthstone, some mickey mouse earrings. They were probably given to me when I was like, 5. I don't remember anything about them, other then them sitting my Mom's jewelry box and not being able to wear them. I have no sentimental attachment to them. They mean nothing. 

You know what means something to me, the ring my Grandma on my mom's side gave me in high school, because as a little girl I said it was very pretty. The two necklaces I received after my Grandma on my dad's side passed from her collection (college age). Those are the pieces of jewelry I have tangible memories and sentimental attachment too. 

My ring bearer was three. I got her toys. She plays with them, and she likes them. She was extremely excited to open her Melissa and Doug birthday cake play set. If you want to give her something more sentimental, I second the recommendation of a jewelry box. You can get her one nicer then the 15 dollar dancing ballerina ones. You can even put jewelry in there, but I'd recommend sticking with something cute from Claires, and saving Tiffany for when she graduates high school, college, first job, etc. Because she'll understand and appreciate, and remember it better then. 

Or you could start a savings account/college fund for her.
    Jesus, a three year old has no concept of what Tiffany's even is!

This sounds like the brain-child of her mother, who is angling for overpriced earrings for her child. . . perhaps so she can borrow them?

Maybe FG's mother or grandfather can be the one to go shopping at Tiffany's for her?

OP, if you really want to buy your FG earrings, I'd suggest something more reasonable like rhinestone or CZ studs along with a toy that she will actually enjoy.

"Love is the one thing we're capable of perceiving that transcends time and space."

• Options
    You do realize that once the earrings are on no one will know they are from Tiffany's.  I really don't understand the appeal of getting something from Tiffany's unless you go around and flaunt that it is from Tiffany's and I don't think that is something a 3 year old is going to do.  It is like someone buying a Hermes bag.  You aren't buying it because you can't find something similar looking elsewhere for a hell of a lot less money, but you are buying it because you want people to know that you can afford an Hermes bag.

Look if you can afford it then go right ahead.  But I think it is silly to get her something that she already got.  What 3 year old needs two pairs of diamond earrings?  She will probably be happier with a $60 Frozen princess gown which she can wear and play with now as opposed to diamond earrings from Tiffany's that she won't really appreciate (if she appreciates them at all) until she is older.

• Options
    You do realize that once the earrings are on no one will know they are from Tiffany's.  I really don't understand the appeal of getting something from Tiffany's unless you go around and flaunt that it is from Tiffany's and I don't think that is something a 3 year old is going to do.  It is like someone buying a Hermes bag.  You aren't buying it because you can't find something similar looking elsewhere for a hell of a lot less money, but you are buying it because you want people to know that you can afford an Hermes bag.

Look if you can afford it then go right ahead.  But I think it is silly to get her something that she already got.  What 3 year old needs two pairs of diamond earrings?  She will probably be happier with a $60 Frozen princess gown which she can wear and play with now as opposed to diamond earrings from Tiffany's that she won't really appreciate (if she appreciates them at all) until she is older.
    She doesn't already have them. The bride's FSIL (so this girl's mother or aunt) received diamond earrings as a flower girl gift when she was little so now she's suggesting it as a gift for this girl.  
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    mysticl said:

She doesn't already have them. The bride's FSIL (so this girl's mother or aunt) received diamond earrings as a flower girl gift when she was little so now she's suggesting it as a gift for this girl.  
    Oh.  I read it as the little girl already got a pair.  My mistake.

But I stand by the rest of my post.

• Options
    I also want to know what you're getting your bridesmaids?
  • Options
    Bridesmaids gifts are all varying, my MOH I got a Pandora charms and another bracelet, one BM I got a higher end makeup palette she had been lusting after, FSIL I got 3 Organic Bloom frames, and that's all so far. I still have 3 more BMs to buy for, and I wanna add on little things to these. I'm buying things as I go along cause I have alot of time still.

I guess it's not weird to me to get diamond earrings as a gift when I was younger. As this seemed pretty common. And by no means am I rich, and trying to show off just to put that out there. I didn't realize the cheapest earrings were over $500, FI said he looked and they we're under $200... don't know what he's looking at. FI is still dead set on earrings but i'm going to look into other options as well. I do like the jewelry box idea that was mentioned and maybe a cheaper pair of earrings if he's still insistent.

Wedding Countdown Ticker

• Options
    Did FSIL suggest the gift or did your FI think of it on his own because he recalled his sister getting a pair? If FSIL suggested it that was really rude of her to suggest such a high end gift.

Also, earrings are fine, but a really expensive pair from Tiffany's seems kind of crazy to me.  Why not get her a nice pair in her birth stone from a local jewelry store?  They would be a bit more reasonable for a 3 year old.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards